Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 1-2, 2014 – 6 Av 5774 – Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:01 (and not before 6:51) – Havdalah 9:04
* Light Candles by 8:01, and not before 6:51
* Mincha 6:40 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:05, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:05
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:04
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the engagement of their grandson, Yosef Weinstein, son of Renee & Mayer Weinstein of Passaic, NJ to Rivki Gutman, daughter of Esther & Rabbi Shimon Gutman of Cleveland.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will only meet on Friday this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic – will not meet this week and will resume on August 19.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will not meet this week.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.) – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University – will not meet for the next few weeks.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM – will resume on September 4.
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
YISE Programs and Listings
Churban: What it Meant Then, What it Means Now – A Shiur in preparation for Tisha B'av for women with Rabbi Silver. This Shabbos afternoon, August 2 at 4:30 PM at the home of Leah Bresler, on 1206 North Belgrade Road.
High Holiday Preparations Already? Check your mail for an envelope which was sent out with forms and information for High Holiday seating, baby-sitting services and High Holiday greetings in the Hashomer.
YISE Annual BBQ "Summer Luau" – Join YISE friends and families as we come together for a wonderful summer celebration to enjoy good foods while wearing our favorite Hawaiian shirts. Bring your beach blankets and chairs to lounge around while we do the grilling! Games, raffles, crafts and more! Fun for all ages! Sunday August 17, 4:30 PM – 7:00 PM, YGW Boys' School, Price: $10 per adult, $6 for ages 2-8.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, August 17 at 8:30 PM at the home of Dana Sicherman, 912 Lamberton Drive. The topic will be Muktzeh.
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. So that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to host please let us know at email@example.com
The YISE Banquet Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with the banquet. Specifically, we are seeking volunteers to help obtain donations for a raffle that will be included as part of the banquet this year. The volunteers can also help design the raffle prize packages to be presented at the banquet. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Elise Saks (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Rachelli Simon (email@example.com). In addition, if anyone has anything to donate (jewelry, toys, baby gear, small appliances, etc.) to the raffle, please contact Elise or Rachelli.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Program is on break and will resume on Sunday, August 31.
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Monday, August 4 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary and Sephardi) 6:00 PM
* Fast Begins 8:16 PM
* Maariv / Eicha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary, Arcola Social Hall, University, and Sephardi) 9:05 PM
Tuesday, August 5 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Social Hall 6:00 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35 AM
* Sephardi 7:00 AM
* Arcola Social Hall 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:14 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Video #1 Arcola Social Hall 2:45 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Youth Video Arcola Small Social Hall 2:45 PM
Sponsored by the Yehuda Mond Foundation and YISE
* Project Inspire Video Arcola Social Hall 4:30 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Video #2 Arcola Social Hall 5:45 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:45 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 7:50 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:35 PM
* Fast Ends 9:00 PM
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer, and will resume in September.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Camp Shomrai Annual Community Carnival – Join us for an evening of watery fun, food and entertainment. Wednesday, August 6 from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Moonbounce, dunk tank, water slide, cotton candy, popsicles, make your own "sea in a bottle," and bubble activities. 813 University Blvd West. $5 Per Child under 10.
Parsha in the Park!!!! Families are invited to come join us across the street from YISE to play in the park, eat popsicles, and learn about the Parsha with Rabbi Rosenbaum on Shabbos, August 16, at 5:00 PM!!!
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 6, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Boys' SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program – For rising 6th-11th graders. Davening, Learning, & Activities. August 7 – 21, 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Located at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys' Campus. Cost: $25 per week per student. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com, 301-962-5111 ext. 1522.
Job Assist Events:
* Federal Jobs for Persons with Disabilities – Free webinar on Schedule A hiring process. Friday, August 8, 12:30 PM – 1:00 PM. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
* LinkedIn Basics – Monday, August 11, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, KMS. Free workshop. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 3 Monday, August 4 – Erev Tisha B'Av Tuesday, August 5 – Tisha B'Av Wednesday, August 6 Thursday, August 7 Friday, August 8
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:35, 7:30, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 7:00 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:00 6:00 / 9:05 2:00, 7:45 / 8:35 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A / 9:05 N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:18 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
August 8-9, 2014 – 13 Av 5774
Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:53 – Havdalah 8:55
* Light Candles by 7:53, and not before 6:45
* Mincha 6:30 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Arcola, Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:55
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 (Sephardi), 7:50 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:55
Wednesday, August 6 Camp Shomrai Carnival, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Wednesday, August 6 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall, 12:00 Noon
Monday, August 11 The Man with the Truck, Arcola Social Hall, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Tuesday, August 12 YISE Board of Directors Meeting 7:30 PM at Arcola
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 6, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Tuesday 1:30 PM – 5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director