Download the June 14-15, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 14-15, 2013 – 7 Tammuz 5773 – Parshas Chukas
Light Candles by 8:17 (and not before 7:03) – Havdalah 9:25
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lee & Craig Oppenheim on the Yahrtzeits of their parents, Helene Zuckerberg (Chana Raizel Bas Avrahom Halevi), Yetta Oppenheim (Yacha Bas Menachem Mendel) and Harry Zuckerberg (Tzvi Hersh Ben Avrahom) and the Shloshim for Julius Oppenheim (Yaakov Ben Hershel).
* Light Candles by 8:17, and not before 7:03
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall),7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:30, 8:20
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 (Univ. and Sephardi), 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:25
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Sandor Shulkes
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Fran & Alan Broder in honor of their anniversary. Enjoy the Costco-themed Kiddush, but be aware that most of the baked goods are dairy/non-Cholov Yisrael.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Assistant Rabbi candidate, Rabbi Sandor Shulkes (and his wife, Rachel).
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:45 PM.
* Rabbi Sandor Shulkes – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony. Will resume on June 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Will resume on June 23.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:45 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10 AM until after the Assistant Rabbi candidate finishes speaking. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Assistant Rabbi Search
The YISE Board and Rabbi Rosenbaum have approved three candidates for the position of Assistant Rabbi. This week is the third of the three where we welcome the candidates.
Welcome to Rabbi Sandor ("Sandy") Shulkes
Rabbi Sandor Shulkes will Daven at the 8:00 Minyan (brief Dvar Torah) and attend the Kiddush; speak after (no earlier than 10:45) the 8:45 Minyan (12-15 min. Dvar Torah) and attend the Kiddush; teach a Shiur between regular Mincha and Maariv on Shabbos; and attend a Meet & Greet in the Social Hall on Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM, followed by a Q & A with the Congregation from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM.
Refer to the letter, sent by Cyberbrief and available at Shul, for more information on the complete selection process. The election for Assistant Rabbi will take place at a Congregational Meeting on Tuesday, June 18, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM in the Arcola social hall. If necessary, a runoff election will be held on Thursday, June 20, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their grandson Akiva Miller, son of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Boston, to Sora Tova Snider, daughter of Ruth & Mordechai Snider of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Ze'ev Mizrach and great-grandma Dena Gerber of Baltimore.
* Barbara Price and family on the engagement of her daughter, Elana, to Avraham Benguigui of Brooklyn, son of Raizie & Moshe Benguigui of Modiin Illit, Israel.
* Sue Stern on the marriage of her grandson, Akiva Ben Tsion Groskin, son of Dr. Manoach Groskin of Hashmonaim, to Shira Wexler, daughter of Mrs. Michelle Wexler of Efrat. Mazal Tov also to Aunt Judy & Uncle Dovid Stern and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Resumed on Monday, June 10!!! Join us for a 3 week series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Tevilas Kelim (immersing new vessels in the Mikvah). For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Shalom Rosner, Rav, Yeshivot Reishit Yerushalayim and Shaalvim; Rav, Nofei Hashemesh Community, Beit Shemesh; Maggid Shiur, OU Daf Yomi Online. Shabbos Parshas Balak, June 22. Schedule: After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan: The Art of the Chumra – Kiddush follows. One hour before Mincha: Kibbud Av Va'em. Between Mincha and Maariv: Memory & Mitzvos: The Secret of the Six Zechiros.
YISE Communiqué – The Shul has been sending out a number of important cyberbriefs in the past few months. We cannot always put everything into the mail. If you have e-mail and have not been receiving cyberbriefs, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can add your e-mail to our list and you can begin receiving cyberbriefs.
Rosh Hashanah is Closer Than You Think! Next week, packets will be mailed to YISE members with all the forms needed to make High Holy Days seat reservations and to place a New Year's Greeting in HaShomer. Be on the lookout for your packet in the mail!
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Job Assist Events:
* Financial Smarts for Women – Thursday, June 20 and 27, both 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon, Ingleside at King Farm, 701 King Farm Boulevard, Rockville. Info and register at alevin@AccessJCA.org.
* LinkedIn – Intermediate – Free workshop for experienced users. Wed, June 19, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* Computer Training Online – CAD (Computer Aided Design), series of 6 classes starts Sunday, June 16. Photoshop (Intermediate), Monday, June 17. Word and Excel (Beginners), Monday, June 17. PowerPoint, Tuesday, June 18. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Resumes – The Basics and Beyond – Featuring Joe O'Hare. Monday, June 24, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Silver Spring Jewish Center, 1401 Arcola Ave. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
Community Service Day – co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. Come do a mitzvah! Two options: do one or do them both. On July 14, we will be doing a park cleanup from 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon. Bags and gloves will be distributed by the steps at the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park. From 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM, come help out at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd, 301-608-3504 (limited to 20 people). Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP for A Wider Circle, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
Community Programs and Listings
Last Snif of the year this week from 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:30 PM.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Women's Daytime Tehillim, Wednesdays, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Contact Arleeta Lerner for information, 301-649-0552. Note new time.
EMET Rays of Light in the Darkness Dinner – June 19. Honoring those that stand up for Israel. Bret Stephens, Reza Kahlili, and members of Congress. Register at www.emetonline.org. Dinner will be Kosher certified by the Vaad.
Ropes course in Sandy Springs Adventure Park – (Weather permitting.) Thursday, June 20, 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM (3 hours of climbing time). 16701 Norwood Road, Sandy Spring, MD 20860. For ages 7 and older. (Children that are 5 and 6 years old will only be permitted to climb with a parent on the park`s two Purple Courses. The combo pricing for the 5-6 year old/parent ticket is $39.00 plus tax.) Dress comfortably and don't forget food and drinks. Huge discount on tickets – only $31.03 per person including tax (normally it's over $50/person)! For more info and to RSVP please contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah's Annual Banquet – Celebrating its 50th Anniversary, Honoring Lewis Kest. Sunday, June 23, at 6:00 PM at Woodside Synagogue. For more information: www.wsat.org/banquet.
GWCK Teen Summer Kollel – For boys in grades 5 – 9, June 24 – July 12, Weekday evenings, 10900 Lockwood Drive. For more information, contact Rabbi Menachem Winter at 301-213-6504 or www.gwckollel.com.
Hafrashas Challah- The Mitzvah of Separation – a Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Wednesday, June 26, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys' Campus, presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington is holding a major fundraiser to support its Scholarship Fund. A raffle will be held on July 4, with a top prize of $50,000. Visit www.ygwevents.com/raffle for more information.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington delivers meals to local hospitals and stocks a Kosher pantry at Children's National Medical Center. To learn more about our many services, to request assistance or to volunteer please contact BCGW at 202 331-4481, or contact us through our website www.bikurcholimgw.org.
Kashrus Alert – Value Naturals Brand Assorted Salt Water Taffy distributed by International FoodSource LLC of Dover, NJ, is dairy and bears an unauthorized Star-K Kosher symbol. Please be advised that International FoodSource LLC is no longer under Star-K Kosher Certification.
Like YISE on Facebook:
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 16 Monday, June 17 Tuesday, June 18 Wednesday, June 19 Thursday, June 20 Friday, June 21
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:25 8:25 8:25 8:25 8:25 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:25 N/A N/A 8:25 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
June 21-22, 2013 – 14 Tammuz 5773
Light Candles by 8:19 – Havdalah 9:27
* Light Candles by 8:19, and not before 7:05
* Mincha 6:55 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:30 , 8:20
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 (Sephardi), 8:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:27
Shabbos, June 15 Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Sandor Shulkes
Monday, June 17 The Man With the Truck, Arcola, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Tuesday, June 18 Assistant Rabbi Election Congregational Meeting
Shabbos, June 22 Scholar-In-Residence: Rabbi Shalom Rosner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 19, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director