Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 15-16, 2016 – 10 Tammuz 5776 – Parshas Chukas
Light Candles by 8:14 (and not before 7:01) – Havdalah 9:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum in honor of the 9th Yahrzeit of her mother, Bryna Bas Chaim Tzvi.
• Frieda Bart and Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the marriage of their granddaughter Bracha, daughter of Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart of Richmond, to Barry Eichenbaum, son of Drs. Vicki (Jetter) & Joseph Eichenbaum of Oceanside. Mazal Tov also to uncle Jonathan!
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Atara Ora, to Tamar & Rabbi Avi-Gil Chaitovsky of Teaneck.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on the marriage of their son Benjy to Dalya Lerner, daughter of Sharon & Shlomo Lerner of Sharon, MA. Mazal Tov to all the siblings, Sarah & Matthew Karlin, Shayna & Raphael Karlin, Dov Lerner, Meira & Shmuel Unterberg and Dani Lerner. Mazal Tov to Benjy's grandparents, Charles Karlin and Dolores & Len Schwartz, his nephews and niece and the entire Karlin, Schwartz and Lerner families.
* Elaine & Alan Breitler on the passing of their son, Howard. The funeral took place on Thursday. The family will observe Shiva at 1009 Arcola Avenue through Wednesday morning. Minyan schedule: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 8:20.
* Light Candles by 8:14, and not before 7:01
Arcola: 6:45, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:20
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Zipporah & Jason Rosenblatt to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Rabbi Nandor Marton, Z"L, and Rabbi Morris D. Rosenblatt, Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Tali & Alon Shvo in honor of their new son.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Aviva & Morris Fischer in honor of Joe Fischer being selected by Boeing to work on the new Air Force One design.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 7:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:40 PM.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume July 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume July 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume July 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume July 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume July20.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Premium Memberships – These new member categories include many benefits that would not be included in a regular full membership. They are designed for those who want to enhance their experience while providing support for our comprehensive programming and growth. Base membership fees cover a fraction of our annual budget which is dedicated to providing the highest standards of quality and service our members expect and deserve. It is initiatives like this that provide opportunity and privilege for those who can to support the leading orthodox synagogue in the Greater Washington area. We are grateful for your consideration as we move from strength to strength. See details at www.yise.org/membership-categories/
Missing Tallis from lower lobby coat room. This is the second time for this member. Please notify the office if it is located. Tallis box rentals are also available by contacting the office.
New Play Area – The Youth Committee is setting up a temporary toddler play area at the Shul, in the fenced-off area facing Arcola. While the Kemp Mill Park playground is under renovation, play equipment will be available on Shabbos and Yom Tov mornings. Children must be supervised at all times. The play equipment will be available from approximately 10:00 AM until after Kiddush. Anyone who has playground equipment (Little Tikes or similar) in good condition, or would like to contribute a donation to help purchase equipment should please contact the Youth Committee at email@example.com
High Holiday Seat Planning – Watch your mail next week. The office will be sending out information on High Holiday seats, Hashomer New Year Greetings and a new Yizkor Guide, with relevant Tefillah, that will be different than any previous ones and will benefit the Shul.
Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a lead teacher for the two-yearold and Pre-K classes for the 2016-2017 school year. We are also seeking part-time and full-time assistants. For more information, please check the school's website: nursery.yise.org/positions-available Send resume and cover letter to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St.,Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week, and will resume at the end of the summer.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, July 16, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 5:00 PM.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 20, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. August 15 – 25, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 11:30 AM lunch, 12:00 Noon activity, 1:00 PM swimming, 2:30 PM pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $50 per week per student, $75 for full program – Trips cost extra. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 17 Monday, July 18 Tuesday, July 19 Wednesday, July 20 Thursday, July 21 Friday, July 22
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:00 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 22-23, 2016 – 17 Tammuz 5776
Light Candles by 8:10 – Havdalah 9:14
* Light Candles by 8:10, and not before 6:57
Arcola: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 University: 8:05 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:14
Tuesday, July 19 YISE Board of Directors meeting, 7:30 PM
Wednesday, July 20 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Dr. Gilda Haber "Facts about a Ghet"
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 20 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director