Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 25-26, 2013 – 22 Cheshvan 5774 – Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles by 5:57 – Havdalah 6:55
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Ivan Lerner in honor of the Yahrzeit of Arleeta's father, Sam Axelrod, Shmuel Ben Dovid.
* Light Candles by 5:57
* Mincha 6:00, 5:55 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:40 (Sephardi), 5:55 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:55
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of our Assistant Rabbi, Rabbi Binyamin Silver, and his wife, Esti.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:25 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Aliza & Gil Chlewicki on the birth of a daughter, Bina Leora. Mazal Tov to the big brother, Simcha.
* Simi & Sammy Franco on the birth of a granddaughter, Simi, born to Jessi & Nathan Franco. Mazal Tov also to the great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Dottie & Nathan Franco and to the entire Franco and Rottenberg families.
* Allison & David Ginsberg and their families on the Bris of their son, Michael Zev.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the marriage of their grandson Oren Hirschhorn, son of Lisa & Shimon Hirschhorn of Raanana, Israel to Or Levi of Reut, Israel.
* Rene & Abraham Isser on the engagement of their son, Yonatan, to Esther Lowensteiner of Teaneck, NJ.
* Fay Kasser on the birth of a granddaughter to Lisa & Shmuel Sorkin of New York City.
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the birth of a grandson to their children Sarah & Rabbi Dovid Brotsky of White Oak. Please Daven for Tinok ben Sarah Malkah.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman on the birth of a grandson, Menachem Mendel, to their children Rachel & Rabbi Aron Meir Zuckerman of Passaic. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Tzvi, Tova, Shiffy and Binyamin.
* David Abrams and family on the passing of their wife and mother, Dr. Cynthia Abrams. The funeral took place on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Dr. Jerry Hawk on the passing of his father, Herschey Hawk. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva will be observed at 2606 Steele Road, Baltimore, through Wednesday morning.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continues with the topic "Litigation in Secular Courts"- Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
The Friday Evening Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 6:00 PM in large Arcola Social Hall.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers with Morah Elise Schloss. Join us for: Puppets and Parsha Stories, Singing and Movement, Shabbos Party, Socialization, Art Experiences, Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through Friday, December 20. Register by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Shabbos – Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Zushe Blech, Rav Ha'Machshir, Earth Kosher, Regional Director for Kashrus, the OU, Author, Kosher Food Production. Schedule:
* Friday at 8:30 PM: Wine, Beer, and Alcohol – Mayim Chayim – Aqua Vitae
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows): Insects – Metzitz Min Hacharakim – Peering through the Insects
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Fish – Vetana Tuna – To Wit
The Intoxicating Effects of Money and their Halachic Consequences – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a Business Ethics lecture by Rabbi Dr. Barry Freundel. Sunday, November 3, at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday November 4, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
Community Service Day – co-sponsored by, YISE, KMS, & MJBHA Chesed committees. Come do a mitzvah! Sunday, November 10, from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, come help out at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd, 301-608-3504 (limited to 20 people). Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP for A Wider Circle, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date – Kristallnacht Commemoration in Silver Spring – In honor of the 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht (Night of Broken Glass), join us to hear a story about a heroic initiative in pre-War Italy that has come to light only recently. Hans Weil, a German Jewish sociology professor, founded a school on the Italian coast which safeguarded many German Jewish children from the Nazis. The speaker, Constance Weil Rauch, is the daughter of Prof. Weil and was an eyewitness. Sunday, November 10, 7:30 PM at YISE. Sponsored by YISE, KMS and SSJC.
Start Your Day The Right Way – TGN Presents: Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings beginning November 12, following the 8:30 Shacharis at YISE. Classes will be offered by Rabbi Barry Greengart – Daily Halachos and by Rabbi Shmuel Leigh – Parsha Inspiration. Come join a class or learn with a Chavrusa. Breakfast will be served after Shacharis. Program is open to men and women. For more information (301) 338-4810 or email@example.com.
Like YISE on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to join us this Shabbos at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM.
Women's Discussion Group – 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Bnei Akiva of Silver Spring is having its first Snif this Shabbos, from 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 4:25.
Dedication of the Vera Lieber Memorial Garden – Sunday, October 27, 10:00 AM, followed by brunch. MJBHA. RSVPs appreciated to Jennifer Zukerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shadow In Baghdad – Film/talk with clips from this new documentary with Israeli filmmaker Duki Dror and Mideast journalist Linda Menuhin. Tuesday, October 29 at 7:30 PM at the DCJCC. Free Event. Please RSVP at washingtondcjcc.org/film or 202-777-3247.
MJBHA Tour – Join us for a tour of the MJBHA Preschool and Lower School (2N thru 5th grade), Tuesday, November 5 at 9:30 AM. For information or to schedule a visit at a different time, contact Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400 x5630 or email@example.com. To RSVP or view future admissions events, visit www.mjbha.org.
MJBHA Book Fair – Join the MJBHA at the Barnes & Noble Book Fair. MJBHA-PTO earns 10% of every store purchase. Sunday, November 10, Barnes & Noble, Montrose Crossing Shopping Center. Join us for a fun afternoon of activities, including a Chanukah singa- long with Rabbi Uri Topolosky, art projects, games, prizes, a raffle and more! Everyone welcome. Questions? Contact Shuly Babitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LBJA 2nd Annual Chanukah Bazaar and Book Fair – Looking for Chanukah gifts for the whole family? Want a fun place to bring the kids? Sunday, November 17, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Lots of wonderful local vendors, great selection of books from Scholastic and KarBen. Entrance is free! At LBJA located in the Silver Spring Jewish Center. Questions? Please contact the school office at 301-592-8433 or email@example.com. If you would like to be a vendor, please contact the school office no later than Monday, November 4. Don't miss the opportunity to be part of this great event! Spaces are limited!
Hearing Aid Re-use Project (HARP) – Donate your inherited or obsolete hearing aids (behind the ear types only) so that others in our community might try to reprogram and re-use them, thereby saving big bucks. For more information, to donate, or to sign up on a waiting list, contact Jack.Calman@post.harvard.edu.
JCADA Needs Your Help – Help raise funds for a much needed Legal Access Program for The Jewish Coalition Against Domestic Abuse. To find out more go to www.crowdrise.com/jcada.
Job Assist Events:
* Plan Your Job Search – Free workshop by Melissa Feuer, GWU College of Professional Studies, Tuesday, November 5, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM. Kemp Mill Education Center, 1319 Lamberton Drive. Reserve a seat at https://jobsearch13.eventbrite.com.
* 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications – Free webinar by Kathryn Troutman, Tuesday, November 5, 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM. Register at www.resume-place.com.
* Photoshop for Beginners – Series of four online classes starts Monday, November 4. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* The Hidden Job Market – Free webinar. Monday, November 4, 7:00 PM – 8:15 PM. Register at www.oujobs.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 27 Monday, October 28 Tuesday, October 29 Wednesday, October 30 Thursday, October 31 Friday, November 1
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 See Shabbos schedule
University 5:55 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:43 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:11 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
November 1-2, 2013 – 29 Cheshvan 5774
Parshas Toldos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:47
* Light Candles by 5:49
* Mincha 5:50, 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:45 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:47
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour
Monday, October 28 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
Shabbos, November 1-2 Scholar in Residence – Rabbi Zushe Blech
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 9 First Dor L'Dor of the Season, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 10 Kristallnacht Commemoration, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 30, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director