Parashas Chayei Sarah – November 9-10, 2012
Download the November 9-10 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 9-10, 2012 – Parshas Chayei Sarah – Mevorchim Hachodesh – 25 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 4:40 PM Havdalah 5:40 PM
This week's Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner to commemorate the fourth yahrzeit of Sam Axelrod A"H (Shmuel ben Dovid) and in honor of their new grandson, Yosef Shalom, son of Tamar & Rabbi Michoel Lerner of Kiryat Sefer.
* Light Candles by 4:40 PM
* Mincha 4:35 PM (Sephardi), 4:40 PM (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Nusach Sefard), 8:00 AM, 8:15 AM (Sephardi), 8:30 AM (Univ.), 8:45 AM
* Mincha 2:30 PM, 4:20 PM (Sephardi), 4:35 PM
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:40 PM
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Ethan Eisen
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard Minyan – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Terumah & BenZion Kugler in honor of their son Yosef's Bar Mitzvah.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9 AM in small Youth Room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharis.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet until further notice.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 4:05 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Youth Minyan. If you would like to sponsor a Kiddush for the Youth Minyan for a special Simcha, event, or just because, please contact Judy Mehlman at email@example.com.
YISE and The Jewish War Veterans of America
A Veterans Day Program
Sunday, November 11 at 7:30 PM at YISE
Discussion with YISE veterans of the US Armed Forces who served "under-fire."
* Lt. Lawrence Radkoswky, US Marine Corps & Navy (WWII & Korean War)
* Cpl. Marvin Konick, US Army (WWII)
* Lt. Colonel Harold Axelrod, US Army (Vietnam War )
* Major Howard Kern, US Air Force (Gulf War)
Facilitated by Lt. Colonel Sheldon Goldberg, US Air Force (Vietnam War), National Executive Committee for Department of Maryland, Jewish War Veterans of America
* Howard Katz on the Bat Mitzvah of his granddaughter, Daniella, daughter of Denise & Micah Katz of Olney, and to aunts & uncles Masha & Seth Katz and Aliza & Manasseh Katz.
* Terumah & BenZion Kugler on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yosef Shalom, and to the grandmothers, Shonny Kugler and Basha Kohler, also to Yosef's siblings, Shlomo, Nechama, Rachelle, Toby & Yocheved. Also Mazel Tov to all the aunts & uncles, cousins and friends that are here to celebrate Yosef's Bar Mitzvah.
* Deborah & Rabbi Simcha Merkin on the birth of a son.
* Dr. Naomi & Dr. Jeremy Schnittman on the birth of a son.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us for the important and relevant topic of "The Mitzva of Lending and Prohibition of Interest: Common Issues." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Come join Dor L'Dor – the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! 7 PM in Arcola social hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lot of fun! This week is sponsored by Ben Yehuda Pizza!
Welcome to new members: Batsheva & Moshe Broder, Melissa & Joel Fuchs, Abby & Shlomo Rubinstein, and Rachel & Yochai Krakauer, who were voted in at the last board meeting.
PARKING: Effective December 1, the Shul has a new parking arrangement with the Shopping Center. We will no longer be renting parking from the Pool. Our center parking will be to the side and behind Ben Yehuda (not in front of the businesses on that side). The center does not want us parking in front of CVS. It is very important for the success of this new parking arrangement, which costs significantly less than the arrangement with the Pool, that everyone park in the proper location. If you have any questions, please contact our president, Dr. Marc Katz.
Yasher Koach to the Power Rangers! In order to prepare for future weather and power emergencies, the Chesed Committee would like to keep updating the list of generator owners so it can be available quickly. If you want to add your name to the list for future emergencies, please send your contact information to Beth Greene Perera at shevaperera@gmail.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a new program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301- 681-4740, mskarlin@ gmail.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* The Brand Is You – Market Yourself with LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Google. Featuring Cory Lebson. Monday, November 12, 7:30-9 PM at KMS. Sponsored by JobAssist. To reserve a seat, DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Getting a Job in the Age of Social Media – Wednesday, Nov. 14, 10:30-11:30 AM, Bethesda Public Library. Presented by JSSA. Info and register at (301) 610-8380.
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Introduction for those who have not created a profile. Wednesday, Nov. 14, 1-2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Sponsored by JSSA. Registration required at http://linkedinone11-2012.eventbrite.com/#
* Computer Training Online – MS Word from A-Z. Tues., Nov. 13, 10-11:30 AM. Registration required at http://www.oujobs.org/events.
Community Programs and Listings
1st Grade Girls' Shabbos Group – will meet on November 10 at the home of Ariella Litwack, 807 Lamberton Dr, from 3:45 – 5:00 PM.
Building A Mikvah – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Monday, November 12, Veteran's Day, Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur with Rabbi Eli Reingold 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
MJBHA Veteran's Day Open House – Monday, November 12, 9:00 AM – Assembly with patriotic themes provided by the Lower School. 10:30– 11:30 AM – Prospective Preschool and Lower School parent program in Bess Goodman Board Room. For more information: Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400, x5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AMIT Birah Chapter – It's All in the Presentation! Tricks for the Table. Demonstration by Alana Isenberg. Monday, November 12, 7:30 – 9:30 PM at the home of Donna Lawrence, 907 Annmore Dr. Surprise guest speaker. Become a member if you are not one already ($36) plus couvert of $10. Please contact Miriam Friedman to RSVP/ more info. email@example.com or AMIT office: 410-484-2223.
Keeping Bugs in Check: Halachos of Bedikas Tolaim – a shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, November 12, 8:30 pm at the YGW Boys' Campus. Series presented by YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. For more information: Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
MJBHA Dramatic Arts Society presents, “Fools,” a play by Neil Simon. Mix the wise men of Chelm with a dash of Amelia Bedelia. A recipe of silly comedy for the whole family! Saturday, November 17, 8:00 PM and Sunday, November 18, 3:00 PM at MJBHA. Tickets: students/seniors $5 per ticket, adults $8 per ticket. For more information, Zev Medoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Citrus Sale – Yeshiva of Greater Washington boys division, senior class, is selling fresh citrus straight from the grove to you! Help build up your immune system while helping them raise funds for their trip to Israel. Deadline to order is December 2. Contact Aryeh Broth at 301-509-7676 or email@example.com for more information.
Bethesda Mincha Minyan has started. 1:15 PM at 7910 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org if you can attend.
Kashrus Alert – There have been national reports of bug infestations in barley. Please consult the CRC's suggested approach for checking for bugs at http://www.crcweb.org/alerts. Alternatively, one may soak the barley for 15 minutes in cold water and eliminate any bugs that have floated to the surface.
One-minute bikur cholim call! – That friend you haven't seen in a while, and who cannot make it to shul, would appreciate a short "how are you doing" phone call. It will make their day!
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www. seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
The Week Ahead Sunday November 11 Monday November 12 Tuesday November 13 Wednesday November 14 Thurs. Nov. 15 Rosh Chodesh Friday November 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:10 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:00 6:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 See Shabbos Schedule
University 4:40 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:59 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:19 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:24 PM
November 16-17, 2012
3 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:34 PM – Havdalah 5:35 PM
* Light Candles by 4:34 PM
* Mincha 4:30 PM (Sephardi), 4:35 PM (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Nusach Sefard), 8:00 AM, 8:15 AM (Sephardi), 8:30 AM (Univ.), 8:45 AM
* Mincha 2:30 PM, 4:15 PM (Sephardi), 4:30 PM
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:35 PM
Sunday, Nov. 11 Adult Ed. Cmte. Veterans' Day Program
Monday, Nov. 12 Basic Colors, Arcola, 11:30 AM to 6 PM
Tuesday, Nov. 13 Elzee's, Arcola, 11 AM to 9 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Nov. 14, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday, 9 AM – 5 PM and Friday 9 AM – 1 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director