Parashas Chayei Sarah – November 2-3, 2018
Download the November 2 – 3, 2018 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 2 – 3, 2018 – 25 Cheshvan 5779 – Parshas Chayei Sarah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:48 – Havdalah 6:47
SOLIDARITY SHABBAT – WE STAND WITH PITTSBURGH – NOVEMBER 2-3, 2018
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner in memory of Arleeta's father Shmuel ben Dovid (Sam Axelrod) on his 10th Yahrzeit.
* Lyn & Tad Downing and Leah &Alex Kott on the birth of a grandson born to Aviva & Avery Downing of Seattle Washington.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, daughter of Tehilah and Netanel Greenwald of Ramat Eshkol. Mazal Tov to grandparents Naava & Yisroel Greenwald and D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller and great-grandmother Miriam Greenwald. Mazal Tov to great-great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber.
* Judy & David Marwick on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Aliza, daughter of Dr. Miriam & Rabbi Binyamin Marwick of Baltimore.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Yonatan, son of Hadassa and Dr. Oren Meyers of Cleveland.
* Yiscah & Rabbi Ezra Baldinger on the passing of their son, and Esther & Alan Baldinger on the passing of their grandson, Akiva Leib Baldinger. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva is being observed at 615 Hyde Rd., through Tuesday morning. The family requests no visitors between 10:00am and 1:00 PM, between 6:30 PM and 8:30 PM, or after 10:00 PM. Shacharis Sunday 8:15 AM, Monday/Tuesday 7:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv – Sunday/Monday 4:55 PM.
* Faith Ginsburg on the passing of her husband, and Yale Ginsburg and Raph Ginsburg on the passing of their father, Professor Gilbert Ginsburg. The funeral took place on Sunday…..
* Elle Nizhnikov and her brother Richard Munz on the passing of their grandmother, Claire Munz, Chaya bas Avraham. The funeral took place in New York. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Deborah Rudmann on the passing of her father, "The Cowboy" Natie Charles. The funeral took place on Motzei Shabbos in Israel.
* Judith Halpern on the passing of her husband, and Gila Wakschlag on the passing of her father, Rabbi Yaakov Halpern. Burial took place in Israel on Thursday night. Shiva is being observed at the home of Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag, 11604 Monticello Ave., from 8:00 PM Motzei Shabbos through Thursday morning. The family requests no visitors between 12 Noon and 1:00 PM, between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM or after 10:00 PM. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday/Thursday 6:45 AM, Tuesday/Wednesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 4:40 PM.
* Light Candles by 5:48
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Shabbos Ends: 6:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner in memory of Arleeta's father, Samuel Axelrod, on the occasion of his 10th Yahrzeit. He was one of the original ten founders of YISE – a man of humility, honesty & integrity.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 4:45 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, November 7, 12 Noon, Social Hall. DVD "Deli Man: The Story Behind the Tradition"
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 12 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available, we would appreciate your help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to everyone who came forward to drive back and forth from the Hebrew Home in Rockville. We greatly appreciate your help. Note that rides are still needed so please continue to sign up. If you have any questions, please contact Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin – email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Job Opportunity – Shabbos Groups Director – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for our weekly Shabbos youth groups for preschool through elementary aged children. This is an excellent opportunity for professional growth. Strong communication, programmatic and interpersonal skills are needed. Experience working with children is a must. Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information or to apply, contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva Snif – This Shabbos, November 3, from 4:20 PM – 5:30 PM at KMS. Walking groups leave YISE at 4:00 PM and return at 5:50 PM.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 3, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:30 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 7, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Kumzits – Join KMS and Old School Jewish Music for a spirited Kumzits in honor of Rosh Chodesh Kislev on Motzei Shabbos, November 10 at 8:00 PM in the KMS lower lobby. Bring your instruments (if you play) and your voices, and be ready to sing your heart out! This event is open to men and women. Light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning on "Kibud Av v'Em – Divine Commandment or Basic Decency?" Sunday, November 11, 8:00 AM in the Foxman Bais Medrash, YGW Boys Campus. The Yom Iyun is sponsored by the Glogower family and dedicated L'ilui Nishmas Janet Glogower. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:50 AM breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from area Shuls: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Rabbi Binyamin Silver, Rabbi Eliezer Kreiser, Rabbi Michoel Frank, Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi Yaakov Greiniman, Rabbi Yehoshua Levy, Rabbi Ofer Levi, Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky and Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. 11:45 AM Shiur – Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel 12:25 PM Closing Remarks – Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva, 12:45 PM Mincha. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Koidenover Rebbe – Monday, November 12 at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Rd. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumzits at 8:00 PM. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more information, please contact R Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Greater Washington Community Kollel Dinner – Join us as we Celebrate 10 Years of Impact and 4 Extraordinary Honorees – Rebbetzin Rivka Winter Rothenberg, Judah Lifschitz, and Daniel & Ilana Ratner! Sunday, November 18, 5:30 PM at Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac. Go to www.GWCK10Years.org for more information. The journal deadline is November 4.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM..
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents "Mitzvah, Minhag, or Myth? Understanding the Meaning Behind What We Do." A weekly Shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak.For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Village Rides – The Gift of a Lift – We now have 13 drivers signed up for the Kemp Mill Village Rides program. Come join them and help your neighbors so we can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. We anticipate offering service starting January 1, with a group of trained, insured, background-checked, drivers. We are also seeking a volunteer bookkeeper and an attorney (pro bono) who can each provide a very limited amount of time to our Village. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email email@example.com to participate in this important project!
Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, Dr. Clif Price, & Mrs. Beverly Brinn
Sunday, November 4, 2018, from 10am to 2pm at Kemp Mill Synagogue, 11910 Kemp Mill Road, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Make your lifesaving appointment today by calling Inova Blood Donor Services at 1-866-BLOODSAVES (1-866-256-6372) or make your appointment online at:
Please contact Eli Landy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can volunteer to help with greeting donors, distributing snacks, or entertaining children while their parents donate blood. Community service documentation available on request.
Blood donors will receive an Inova Blood Donor gift.
Photo ID required. Allow one hour for donation.
The Holocaust Committee of YISE and KMS is hosting an important program in commemoration of the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the day that marked the beginning of the end for most of Europe's Jews just before WWII.
Our program will take place in the YISE Social Hall this Sunday, November 4 at 7:30pm.
As we join together in sadness over the loss of Jewish lives in Pittsburgh, it is especially meaningful to remember and grieve for all Jewish martyrs who died simply because they were Jewish.
Please join us for this important commemoration evening.
YISE Social Committee presents:
Saturday Night November 10th, 2018
$5 per person
Doors open at 8:00pm Trivia begins at 8:30pm
YISE Social Hall: 1132 Arcola Ave., Silver Spring, MD 20902
RSVP to email@example.com
Groups of 6 to 8 people can be formed ahead of time or that night.
Kemp Mill Veterans Day Dining Out
YISE is hosting a formal "Dining Out" on Veterans Day, November 11, 2018 at 1900 hours (7:00pm for civilians) in the YISE Social Hall.
If you are an active duty member, reserve or retired from the US Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, get your Mess Dress (formal uniform) and medals ready.
If you a civilian, we want you TOO! Unlike a "Dining In", this "Dining Out" is open to guests. Come show your support for our nation's veterans, enjoy a great dinner (black tie optional) and be a part of a great military tradition.
We will be celebrating and recognizing the Kemp Mill community's Jewish veterans from all branches of the US military.
For more information and to make reservations, go to www.yise.org/diningout
Fall Back to Standard Time
Don't forget to change your clocks Motzei Shabbos.
7:30 PM Maariv on weekdays, Monday through Thursday. begins this Monday, November 5, in the Large Beis Medrash.
There will also be a regular Mincha/Maariv – Ashkenazi in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and Sephardi in the Large Beis Medrash
The Week Ahead
Sunday November 4 Monday November 5 Tuesday November 6 Wednesday November 7 Thursday November 8 – Rosh Chodesh Friday November 9 – Rosh Chodesh
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:45 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:51 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:15 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
The Greater Washington Shidduch Initiative presents:
"Making Shidduchim: Everyone Has A Role"
by Rabbi Moshe Hauer
on Sunday 11/11/18 at 8:00pm at Ohr HaTorah.
Open to all men and women of the community and generously sponsored by local shuls: Young Israel of Potomac, WSAT, SEHC, YISE, OHT, and OSTT.
For more info contact Estee Silver at EsteeSilver13@gmail.com or Sarah Weiss at 301-233-1208.
At Young Israel Shomrai Emunah!
A Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment
5779 Motzei Shabbos Times:
November 17 – 6:45 pm
December 1 – 6:45 pm
December 15 – 6:45 pm
December 29 – 6:45 pm
January 12 – 7:00 pm
January 19 – 7:00 pm
February 2 – 7:15 pm
February 16 – 7:30 pm
March 2 – 7:50 pm
To sponsor this program, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE presents A Deep Dive Into Hallel
With Chanukah approaching, it's a good time to think about Hallel and how we can sing its praises with more kavanah. Ms. Sharon Freundel will teach this three-part shiur – focusing on Hallel's structure, language and meaning – on Sunday, Nov. 18 and Sunday, Dec. 2 at 10:30 a.m., and Sunday, Dec. 9 at 2:30 p.m., in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
This Meaningful Tefilah Project shiur is free and open to men and women.
For more info, contact email@example.com
November 9 – 10, 2018 – 2 Kislev 5779
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:40
* Light Candles by 4:41
Ashkenazi: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:40 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:40
Sunday, November 4 Blood Drive at KMS, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sunday, November 4 Kristallnacht Program, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, Nov. 7 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Saturday, November 10 Trivia Night, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 11 Veterans Day Dining Out, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 17 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:Wednesday, November 7 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday 12:00 Noon – 5:00 PM
(Office staff will attend a security training session Monday morning.)
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager