Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 14-15, 2014 – 22 Cheshvan 5775 – Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles by 4:36 – Havdalah 5:37
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner in memory of Arleeta's father, Sam Axelrod, Shmuel Ben Dovid Z"L, on the occasion of his sixth Yahrzeit.
* Light Candles by 4:36
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
The Friday night Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary will be a special Minyan led by Chazzan Sherwood Goffin. Beginning at the same time, there will be a Minyan in the Social Hall with a regular Davening.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:37
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Chazzan Sherwood Goffin
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Shulie & Ronnie Bergman in honor of the Yahrzeit of Ronnie's father, Eliezer Asher ben Tzvi.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan -YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Chazzan Sherwood Goffin.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the marriage of their grandson, Yosef Chaim Weinstein, son of Renee (Bramson) & Mayer Weinstein of Passaic, NJ, to Rivki Gutman, daughter of Esther & Rabbi Shimon Gutman of Cleveland Heights, OH.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the birth of twins, Liana Lila and Caleb Liav, to Shuli Karkowsky & Avi Rabinowitz in New York.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a grandson, Ben Zion, to Rivka & Rabbi Sholomo Slatkin of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Catalina Kirshenbaum.
* Moshe Kwiat on becoming a Second Lieutenant in the IDF. Mazal Tov to his parents Aliza & Russell Kwiat, sister Tova Kwiat and grandparents Nancy & Avi Weisberger.
* Judith & Rabbi Yehoshua Levy on the birth of a grandson, born to Tzipora & Chaim Segal of Passaic, NJ.
* Chani & Jay Parness on the recent Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Josh Parness, son of Sandy & Jeff Parness of Manhattan.
* Todd Friedman on the passing of his father, Meyer Friedman. The funeral was held on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the Friedman home, 11709 Fulham Street, through Tuesday morning. Minyan schedule: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:30, Monday: 6:45, Tuesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday and Monday: 4:40.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Monday through Friday from 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Beis Medrash.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes! YISE Social Hall, Motzei Shabbos, November 15, 7:30 PM. ALL SPOTS ARE FILLED – ATTENDANCE BY RESERVATION ONLY.
YISE Programs and Listings
This Shabbos, November 14-15: Scholar-in-Residence – Chazzan Sherwood Goffin: Chazzan/Baal Tefillah, Lincoln Square Synagogue; Instructor and Director of Outreach, Belz School of Jewish Music at Yeshiva University; Past President, Cantorial Council of America.
* Friday, 4:40 PM – Kabbalas Shabbos and Maariv
* Friday night, 8:30 PM: The 3,000 Year-old Historical Development of Jewish Music and our Musical Nusach Hatefillah
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis: The Mesorah of our Musical Nusach Hatefillah in Halacha and Tradition, followed by Musaf, Kiddush follows.
Two-part Lecture for High School Girls and Parents with Rabbi Daniel Mechanic – Monday, November 17, the GWCK will be hosting a two part lecture for high school girls and parents of the community. The lecture for teen girls, "The Truth of Judaism," will be at 6:00 PM at YISE, followed by the lecture for parents, "Inspiring Our Children: Can We Do Better?" at 8:00 PM. Admission is free.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
In a Time of Open Miracles, What Can We Do? – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to host The Rochel Imeinu Yahrzeit Event. Motzei Shabbos, November 15, 8:00 PM Tehillim; 8:30 PM video with Rebbetzin Tzipora Heller and Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger. SEHC. For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347. $10 – all proceeds go to the Aniyei Eretz Yisrael.
Bikur Cholim Community Event – Women's Health Series featuring sessions on a variety of topics led by experts in their fields. "Managing Stress: The Tool Kit for Everyday Living." Sunday, November 16, 10:00 AM at the Turitz home, 504 Hermleigh Road.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 19, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Berman Hebrew Academy Senior Class Leaf Raking – If you need someone to rake your leaves, please contact email@example.com Prices start at around $60+.
Sunflower Bakery is a local nonprofit organization that trains adults with disabilities for work in the baking industry. We are also Kosher Pareve under the supervision of the Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington. Visit us at www.sunflowerbakery.org to learn more about our programs and our yummy baked goods. You can place your order online and pick up on Thursday evenings at The Candy Man in Kemp Mill. For Thanksgiving there will be a special pick up at The Candy Man on Wednesday, November 26, 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM
Hearing Aid Re-use Project (HARP). Donate your inherited or obsolete hearing aids (behind the ear types only) so that others in our community might try to reprogram and re-use them, thereby saving big bucks. They are too expensive to discard. For more info, to donate, or to sign up on a waiting list, contact Jack.Calman@post.harvard.edu
Women and Girls' Self Defense and TKD – Fun, Confidence, Personal Security, Free trial classes. Meets Sundays at JEK Tae Kwon Do, 10400 Lockwood Drive. Please call Elaine Rubin for details 301-681-4000.
Job Assist Events:
* Web Apps for Beginners – Online. Series of 6 classes starts November 17. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* Computer Training Online – Previously recorded classes on QuickBooks, Word, and Excel will be rebroadcast starting November 30. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) Annual Appeal
The Eruv's annual appeal is in progress. To cover the cost of recent repairs and keep the Eruv functioning, we need your contributions. The suggested annual contribution is $54 per household. The Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) is not (yet) a 501(c)(3) organization. For your donation to be tax-deductible, make your check payable to: YISE Eruv Fund. Please mail your check to: SSEA, 11113 Lombardy Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Please do not mail your check to the shul and please do not donate on-line. Questions? SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 16 Monday, November 17 Tuesday, November 18 Wednesday, November 19 Thursday, November 20 Friday, November 21
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:03 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:22 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:25 PM
November 21-22, 2014 – 29 Cheshvan 5775
Parshas Toldos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:33
* Light Candles by 4:32
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:33
Shabbos, November 14-15 Scholar-in-Residence – Chazzan Sherwood Goffin
Monday, November 17 Man With The Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Like YISE on Facebook:
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 19 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director