Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 10-11, 2017 – 22 Cheshvan 5778 – Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles by 4:39 – Havdalah 5:39
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Ivan Lerner in memory of Arleeta's father Sam Axelrod (Shmuel Ben Dovid) on the occasion of his ninth Yahrzeit.
* Cheryl & Mike Gabai on the engagement of their son, Shmuel, to Aviva Lombardo, daughter of Alicia & Akiva Lombardo, also of Silver Spring.
* Evelyn Davis on the passing of her mother, Frances Sanders. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva will be observed at 11403 Monticello Ave. until Sunday morning.
* Light Candles by 4:39
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:39
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Yitz Stokes in memory of Ruth Rochel Stokes, A"H.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Tsipi & Jerry Hawk and family in memory of Herschey Hawk (Tzvi Elazar Ben Harav Yeshaya).
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Paint Nite! Featuring Talya Weinberg! Motzei Shabbos, November 11. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. EVENT IS SOLD OUT. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Be a Superhero! Save a Life! Donate Blood! "Superhero" Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L and Dr. Clif Price Z"L. Sunday, November 12, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, at YISE. There will be Kosher snacks for everyone, educational videos, and activity sheets about the circulatory system to keep children busy while their parents donate blood. People who donate blood will receive a free gift. At least 35 adults need to make commitments to donate blood for the drive to happen. Volunteers are also needed to greet and register donors, distribute drinks and snacks, and help with the children's activities. Time can be credited as community service hours. The Capital Kosher Pantry will have a collection box available at the blood drive. Donate blood to save a life, donate food to nourish lives. All food must be in sealed, non-breakable containers, within the use-by date, and shelf stable. Please contact Adam Bashein, email@example.com to schedule a donation or Eli Landy, firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a shift you can volunteer. You could be a "super-hero" and save someone's life!
Yaakov's Pursuit of Truth – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, November 12, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, November 13, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Reflections on Shabbos." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
NEXT SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, November 17, 4:35 PM in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: Next Shabbos, November 17-18: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Aaron Selevan. Rav, Congregation Ohev Zedek, Hamilton, Ontario; Member, Hamilton Beit Din; Former Rosh Kollel, Hamilton Kollel Mitzion.
* Friday Evening, 8:30 PM, light refreshments:
Halachic Responses to Technological and Social Change
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00):
To Life to Life L'Chaim: The Custom of Toasting – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv:
Mitzvas Ner Chanukah
Tech Cafe at YISE – Sunday, November 19, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For Seniors: Learn from local teens how to use technology, including smartphone, iPad, tablet, Facebook, email, and more. Bring your charged device and charger with you. For Teens: Volunteer for Tech Cafe. Free Pizza lunch for our Teen Techsperts! Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS in conjunction with Tech Cafe. Community Service Hours available. Questions? Contact Miriam Friedman, YISE/KMS – firstname.lastname@example.org 917-282-9617 or Stacey Relkin Winkler, Tech Cafe, email@example.com Register at www.yise.org/techcafe
Lost and Found – Items will be removed from the lower lobby coatroom on Monday, November 20.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Come join Dor l'Dor:
The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment!
Dor L'dor starts on Motzei Shabbos, November 18 at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall!
For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The program will be held at the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community!
Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes!
Shul Repairs – If you notice that a Sefer holder on the back of a pew is becoming loose, please tell us asap before the bottom drops out. Contact Josh Breitstein at email@example.com and / or Stuart Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 11 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
Avos Ubonim – This year's program will begin this Motzei Shabbos, November 11 at 7:00, at the YGW Boys Campus. The Avos uBonim program offers a weekly 45 minute learning program followed by pizza, raffles and prizes. Sign up for upcoming Avos Ubanim notifications at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/avos-ubonim and click "apply for membership." The Program is L'ilui Nishmas Yehuda Aryeh Ben Yehoshua Yakir.
The History of Indian Jewry – Am HaTorah Congregation invites the community to a special presentation by author and lecturer Dr. Thomas Timberg, editor of "Jews of India." Motzei Shabbos, November 11, 7:00 PM. Admission $40. Light dinner will be served. For more information and to RSVP: email@example.com or 301-229-2751.
Capital Connection Event for Singles – Melava Malka Comedy Night with Avi Liberman. Motzei Shabbos, November 11, 7:00 PM, at 411 Hermleigh Road. $50 in advance, includes dinner, comedy show, and dessert buffet. Reservations required at https://form.jotform.com/72808 183124152
Heroic Children of the Holocaust – KMS will commemorate the eve of the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht with a lecture by Rabbi Hanoch Teller, senior docent in Yad Vashem and author of "Heroic Children." Motzei Shabbos, November 11, 8:00 PM at KMS.
In the Eyes of the Beholder: The Appearance of Impropriety – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, November 12. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM. Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 12:00 Noon Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:55 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A Special Evening with the Koidenover Rebbe – Monday, November 13, at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Road. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumsitz at 8:00 PM. This is a unique opportunity to meet the Rebbe, who is much sought after for his Brochos and advice. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more info, please contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email@example.com
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, November 12, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM, 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD. Shoresh (the Hebrew word for roots) is dedicated to providing educational enrichment programs related to our Jewish heritage. This will be the 39th seasonc that our summer program will serve the needs of Jewish children. At Camp Shoresh there are no labels! Campers come from all different backgrounds – Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, unaffiliated, public school, day school, etc. – and everyone thrives in our unique non-judgmental day camp environment. The seven weeks at Camp Shoresh is all about positive Judaism for campers entering Pre-K thru 10th grades from across Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and D.C. The distinctive programming at Camp Shoresh combines the beauty of a rich Jewish studies program with an extensive range of physical activities including swimming, arts and crafts, sports, archery, challenge course, overnights, and Hershey Park – a design to create a total Jewish experience for body, mind, and soul. Join us at our beautiful 107 acre facility in Adamstown, Maryland. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, call 410-358-8571 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Open House – Wednesday, November 15, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Learn more about Toastmasters, including the new Pathways educational program. Light refreshments. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Time Travel: Science Fact or Science Fiction – "Ma rabu Ma'asecha …" Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. The community is invited to join us for the thought-provoking "kick-off" of a new season of science lectures beginning on Sunday, November 19, 12:30 PM. With Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, Astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and Torah Insights by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW Tiferes Gedaliah. Mincha following. YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
SAVE THE DATE! Sixth Annual LBJA Chanukah Boutique – Sunday, December 3, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, sponsored by the PTO and Services Squad. We also have limited tables for vendors interested in selling their wares during one of the biggest shopping seasons! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to save your spot today!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington is considering the possibility of starting a family support group in the Kemp Mill area. In order to do so, we would like to know if there is an interest and need for such a group. You can help us, by contacting BCGW at 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 12 Monday, November 13 Tuesday, November 14 Wednesday, November 15 Thursday, November 16 Friday, November 17
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:10 6:10 6:05 6:10
Ashkenazi 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:59 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:20 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:24 PM
November 17-18, 2017 – 29 Cheshvan 5778
Parshas Toldos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:34 – Havdalah 5:35
* Light Candles by 4:34
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:35
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 11 Paint Nite, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, November 15 Senior Lunch , 12:00 Noon, Harp Happy 4 Harp Concert – "Girls, Girls, Girls"
Friday, November 17 Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, November 17-18 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Aaron Selevan
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 18 The First Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 19 Tech Cafe at YISE, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 15 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager