Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 23-24, 2015 – 4 Shevat 5775 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 5:00 – Havdalah 6:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously in honor of our fifth wedding anniversary.
* Light Candles by 5:00
Arcola: 5:00 University: 5:00 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:03
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University
* Emily & Todd Friedman on the birth of their daughter, Shoshana Leah. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Moshe and Chaya.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a grandson, Yerucham, to their children Tova & Doniel Weinstein of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to Yerucham's big brother Menachem, to grandparents Lee & Steve Weinstein, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Shirley & Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on Sunday, February 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud – Learn Talmud in-depth with a focus on practical applications with Rabbi Menachem Winter, beginning with Keitzad Mevarchim and the laws of blessings. This week's topic: Exotic Breads and Their Laws
* Parsha Discourses – An analyses of selected topics from the weekly Parsha with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. This week's topic: Parshas Beshalach: Wine, Grammar and Song
* Unraveling the Navi – An exploration of the Navi with classic commentaries, beginning with Sefer Yehoshua, with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz. This week's topic: An unfriendly alliance
* Before We Begin – Study Jewish philosophy through the introductions of the Rambam, beginning with the Introduction to Perek Chelek – the 13 Principles of Faith, with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem. This week's topic: A reason and a purpose
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Next Weekend – Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 31, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a review for married men on Monday, February 2, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Beis Medrash.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. NOTE NEW TIME. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Food for Thought: Developing a Healthier Relationship with Food for You and Your Family – Please NOTE NEW DATE: Tuesday, February 3, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Alana Riss Fine, PhD, psychologist, will speak about creating a healthy food environment in your home. Come and bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part II of a two-part refresher course on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM, in the YISE Beis Medrash. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Special Community Guest this Shabbos – The Stropkover Rebbe from Yerushalayim will spend Shabbos with the Silver Spring community. There will be a community "Tish" at the home of Rabbi & Mrs. Chinn,1103 Arcola Avenue, at 8:00 PM on Friday night.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Shomrim Needed – Paid Shomrim needed to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Community-Wide Shlock Rock Concert – Sunday, February 1, 3:30 PM, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Tickets are $5 each. Contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Women's Wellness Series Workshop: A Practical Spiritual Toolbox for the 21st Century Woman Conducted by Israela Meyerstein, LCSW-C, LCMFT. February 8, 10:00 AM -11:30 AM in Kemp Mill. This workshop will explore how a practical spiritual toolbox can help women feel more centered, engage in self-care, develop "countermeasures" to stressful daily life, and attain greater wellness for themselves and their families. Registration is required for this event. For more information or to register, visit www.bikurcholimgw.org, contact email@example.com or 202-331-4481.
Take a tour of the BHA Preschool and Kindergarten – February 9, 9:30 AM. Berman Hebrew Academy. To RSVP or to make an appointment, visit www.mjbha.org or contact Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400 ext 5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Gemach Partners with Food Bank – To meet increasing needs, the Yehuda Mond Foundation, in partnership with the Capital Area Food Bank, makes available, free of charge, non-perishable kosher food. For more information visit http://foodgemach.org
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: email@example.com
The Golden Network offers seniors a variety of home-based programs, including one-on-one learning, musical performances and friendship visits. For more info: 301-338-4810, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.goldennetwork.org
Job Assist Events:
* Resumes, Interviewing, and Federal Jobs – Free classes or Montgomery County residents. Info and register at http://montgomeryworks.org/calendar.asp
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 25 Monday, January 26 Tuesday, January 27 Wednesday, January 28 Thursday, January 29 Friday, January 30
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:25, 7:15 6:25, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:25, 7:15
Arcola 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:25 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
Due to declining attendance, the 7:15 PM weekday Maariv Minyan at University has been cancelled, effective immediately. If you are interested in a late weekday Maariv Minyan at Arcola during Standard Time, send an email to email@example.com
January 30-31, 2015 – 11 Shevat 5775
Light Candles by 5:08 – Havdalah 6:10
* Light Candles by 5:08
Arcola: 5:10 University: 5:10Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:05 University: 5:05 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:10
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 31 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, February 2 Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men
Tuesday, February 3 Parent Education Workshop
Sunday, March 1 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 28 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director