Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 19 – 20, 2018 – 4 Shevat 5778 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 4:56 – Havdalah 5:59
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0560 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Jennifer & Dr. Yitzhak Cohen and Abby & Chaim Tor, on the engagement of their children Rachel Cohen and Natan Tor.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the marriage of their granddaughter Elisheva, daughter of Rebecca & Yitzchak Lefkowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh, to Arye Leib, son of Dena & Rabbi Binyomin Friedman of Atlanta, Georgia.
* Rachie & Rabbi Eli Reingold on the upcoming Aufruf and wedding of their son Elazar to Batsheva Nitsun of St. Louis, MO. Mazal Tov also to sister Chana Brocha, and to grandfather, Mr. Sam Rosen.
* Miri & Dror Shoshani on the birth of a son, Yonatan Meir
* Rebbetzin Estee Silver for being presented with the Alumna Recognition Award at the 22nd Annual Banquet of the Bais Yaakov High School of the Twin Cities in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
* Light Candles by 4:56
Ashkenazi: 5:00 Ruach: 5:00 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:55 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:59
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
*8:00 Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Miri & Dror Shoshani in honor of their new baby boy Yonatan Meir, and in memory of Sarah Bat Lea and Orkanos
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Brenah and Avi Siegel
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume February 4.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume Tuesday, January 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume January 30. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume January 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume January 24.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall will not take place this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This Friday, January 19, in the Social Hall. Mincha will begin at 5:00 PM. Please arrive on time for those who need to say Kaddish. Yes, there will be a special children's story program during part of the davening! So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 20, 7:00 PM, Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Jeffrey & Debbie Weinstein in honor of her mother's yahrzeit. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
How Am I Supposed to Control My Jealousy? – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, January 28, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Understanding and Dealing with Depression in Adults – Recognize its signs, become aware of the different types of treatments. Learn how to support those who suffer and those around them. Hear a Torah perspective on challenges of depression. Introduction by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Speakers: Selena Snow, Ph.D., psychologist, and Naomi Schnittman, MD, psychiatrist. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, February 4, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Social Hall.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men – Taught by Rabbi Rosenbaum. Monday, February 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the Large Beis Medrash.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 2: Sunday, February 25 (changed from original date), 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Scholar-in-Residence – Mark your calendar for the next Scholar-in-Residence – March 2-3 with Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig.
Sushi and Speed Dating – Join YISE for sushi making with Shushy Turin, followed by speed dating. For singles aged 22-35. Sunday March 11, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Cost: $25. RSVP required by March 4, 2018 at www.yise.org/sushi *Events for other age groups will be organized if there is sufficient interest. To express interest in programming for your age group, please contact email@example.com
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 28, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by KMS, YISE, and NCSY to benefit CHANA, a Jewish response to domestic violence. Drop off all sizes of gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, blankets, drapes, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) Early drop off at 903 Holborn St., Silver Spring, MD on the porch until 1:30PM on 1/28. Volunteers are needed to help sort and to drive clothing to Baltimore on Sunday. To volunteer or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Get tax deduction receipts at drive or download from http://wp.yise.org/clothing-drive
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Disability Inclusion Committee If you or a member of your family has a visible or invisible disability, including ones that result from illness or aging, the YISE Disability Inclusion Committee would like to arrange for a confidential interview. By sharing your YISE experience, you will be helping yourself and others. Please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-675-6684.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Mother (figure)/Daughter paint night with Talya Weinberg! Sunday January 21, 5:45 PM – 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. $30 for mom+1, $40 for mom + 2, $50 max. SOLD OUT! For waitlist contact email@example.com
Etz Chaim – Tree of Life
Tu B'Shevat is approaching in a matter of weeks, on January 31. Tu B'Shevat is Rosh Hashana for trees, a time of renewal and new growth. It is understandably difficult to think of trees blossoming and bearing fruit when it is freezing outside and our neighborhood trees are bare. In Israel, however, the rainy season is almost over and the tree sap has invisibly started to rise. While the trees may still be bare, rejuvenation and life have begun again. Fortunately, there is a way to make our trees blossom on Tu B'Shevat in the middle of a cold and dreary Kemp Mill winter. On display in our YISE Shul lower lobby is a beautiful Etz Chaim (Tree of Life) with many bare leaves. This Tu B'Shevat, please join us in making that tree blossom. Permanently dedicate a lovely golden leaf to commemorate precious memories or events. Remember loved ones, honor the Rabbi, thank a family member, or recognize a special friend by engraving one or more of our Etz Chaim leaves and thereby make our tree, lobby – and Shul – blossom. Please follow this link to place your order:
For more information or assistance, please feel free to reach out to the YISE office at 301-593-4465.
An Inspirational Shabbos
The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, presents An Inspirational Shabbos: Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and Song. Shabbos Parshas Yisro, February 2-3, 2018 at YISE.
* Thought-provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK
* Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday Night family dinner
Affordable Pricing (thanks to our sponsors):
Adult: $22, Children (3 to 7) $12, Children under 3: free
Please make check payable to: Greater Washington Community Kollel
To make reservations, please call Mrs. Simi Franco at 301- 593-4465×403 or 301-346-8752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* OPEN TO ALL! Mini-Learning Sessions and A Delicious Dessert Buffet and Ruach-filled Oneg Shabbos immediately following the Seudah
* Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Rabbi Baruch Levine
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 20, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute – What Really Happened and What Does it Mean to ME? Understanding Stories of the Chumash through the Eyes of the Mefarshim and Comprehending the Message of the Midrashim. A weekly shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak. For More information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 24, 8:00 PM – 9:00PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
DC Lunch & Learn – Fertility Treatments: Playing G-d or Implementing G-d's Wishes – with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. January 22, 12 Noon – 12:45 PM at Morgan Lewis. Complimentary lunch served, RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org Please see flyer at www.gwckollel.org for more info.
Free Webinars on Job Search – On Monday, January 22, Corliss Jackson of FederalJobResults.com will present two free webinars:
* Cracking the Federal Job Search Code, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM
* LinkedIn 101, 8:45 PM – 9:15 PM
For info and to register, visit http://FederalJobResults.com/events.htm
Free Job Search Workshop – Networking for a Successful Job Search, Tuesday, January 23, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM, to be held at the Silver Spring Library.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington 54th Annual Banquet – honoring Mr. Eitan & Mrs. Malki Katz, Dr. Marc & Mrs. Debbie Katz and Rabbi Yehoshua Berman. Motzei Shabbos, January 27 at the Bethesda North Marriott. 7:45 PM cocktail reception, 8:30 PM dinner, followed by a special musical presentation with Mr. Eitan Katz. For info, to RSVP and/or submit an ad: http://www.ygwevents.com Last call – please respond NOW.
CPR Class – Sunday, February 11, 12 Noon at YISE. Full certification class administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. It will be infant & child CPR ONLY, with no adult CPR component. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. The cost for the class is $35 per person. Payment to NOVA Cert, LCC at the event. Estimated class time is 2- 1/2 – 3 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Caregiver Support Group – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington is looking to form a monthly support group for adults coping with the challenges of caregiving for family members. For details and registration, contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 21 Monday January 22 Tuesday January 23 Wednesday January 24 Thursday January 25 Friday January 26
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15
Ashkenazi 5:05 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
January 26-27, 2018 – 11 Shevat 5778
Light Candles by 5:04 – Havdalah 6:06
* Light Candles by 5:04
Ashkenazi: 5:05 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:06
Friday, January 19 Ruach Minyan, 5:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 20 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 28 Clothing Drive, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM at KMS
Shabbos, February 2-3 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Sunday, February 4 Understanding Depression, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Monday, February 5 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men, 8:00 PM Large Beis Medrash
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 24 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager