Download the January 18-19 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 18-19, 2013 – 8 Shevat 5773 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 4:55 – Havdalah 5:58
* Light Candles by 4:55
* Mincha 4:50 (Sephardi), 4:55 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Ruach Minyan 4:55 (Arcola social hall)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:35 (Sephardi), 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:58
* 8:00 & Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Silverman family in honor of Shmuel's marriage to Sarah Natelson.
* 8 AM Minyan – Sandy & Melanie Karlin in honor of the upcoming 95th birthday of Sandy's father, Charles Karlin and the recent first birthday of their grandson, Yakov Gedaliah, son of Sarah & Matthew Karlin.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the youth room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Mondays at 8:30 PM, at his home, 11403 Cloverhill Drive. Currently learning the sixth Chelek.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10 AM until 11 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
* Lee & Craig Oppenheim on the birth of a grandson, Naftali Moshe. Mazal Tov to the parents, Naomi & Nate Fein of Washington Heights, NY and to Uncle Ari and the extended Oppenheim and Fein families.
* Bette Ellen Weigert on the birth of a grandson Ezra David, to her children Wendy & Oren Penn of Potomac. Mazal Tov also to the great-grandmother, Marion Krakow and to Aunt Bernice & Uncle Eddie Cohen and the entire family.
* Charlotte Weill on the passing of her brother, Alfred Frankel. The funeral was held this week in NY. Shiva will continue through Monday morning at 127 George Place, Oceanside, NY 11572, 516-678-5147.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos at 7:00 PM in Arcola social hall and open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lot of fun! This week is sponsored by Audrey & Neil Siegel and family.
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Elchanan Adler, Rosh Yeshiva, RIETS of Yeshiva University, Eva, Morris and Jack Rubin Chair of Rabbinics, Author of Mitzvat HaShabbos and a work on Birkas HaChodesh, Shabbat Beshalach, January 25-26. Schedule: 8:00 PM Friday evening – "May G-d Keep the Czar…: Praying for the Government." After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan – "Torah and Menschlekeit: What Comes First?" – Kiddush Follows. Between Mincha and Maariv – "Offering Advice: Halachic Parameters and Pitfalls."
The YISE Sisterhood announces its 4th Annual Membership Brunch on Sunday, February 17 from 10 AM to noon in the YISE Arcola Social Hall. Details to Follow!
Avi & Esti Zemelman are making Aliyah! Please join us in wishing them Tzeischem L'Shalom, blessings of good health & good luck in their new home in Israel, on Shabbos, Feb. 2, at the Kiddush being sponsored by their friends in their honor after the 8:45 AM Minyan. For more information, please contact: Nancy & Avi Karkowsky, 301-649-4519, email@example.com (before Jan. 20 & after Jan. 27), Gail Sanders, 301-593-8838, firstname.lastname@example.org (Jan. 21 – Jan. 28), or Bev Brinn, 301-593-4104, email@example.com.
Chesed opportunity commemorating MLK Day co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. Clean up the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park/Sligo Park on January 21, anytime between 1:30PM-3:30PM. Gloves and bags will be distributed near the steps. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. For more info and to RSVP (optional), email Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Assist Events:
* Online Computer Training. (1) Computer-Aided Design (CAD). Sunday, January 27, and (2) QuickBooks for Beginners. Monday, Jan. 28. For both classes, info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Life Balance: Myths, Reality and How to Achieve It. Learn what true life balance is and how you can achieve it. Thursday, Jan. 24, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Register at www.jssa.org.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a new program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
Youth and Nursery Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Nursery Registration for 2013 – 1014 is now open. Early bird registration fee deadline is February 15. Contact Lianne Heller at (301)593-7365 or email@example.com to make an appointment to tour the school – spaces are limited.
Yise Youth presents Laser Tag for Girls, 7th grade and up. Saturday night, February 2, 8:00 PM-10:00 PM. Leaving Shomrai Promptly at 8:00 PM. Cost:$13 Includes Two Adventures. Space is limited. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 347-613-6367. Volunteer drivers are needed.
YISE Youth presents Super Bowl Sunday At Shomrai! Sunday February 3, Kick off 6:30 p.m. All are welcome. Hot dogs and wings provided at a nominal fee. Contact Avi Litwack for more info at email@example.com.
Like YISE on Facebook:
Snif Bnei Akiva this week is at 3:30 PM until mincha at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:00 PM.
Zumba by Lakie takes place at 8:00 PM Monday nights in the YISE social hall. The cost is $10. It's a fun party you don't want to miss! For more information: LakieDance@gmail.com or 434-53-Lakie. For women only.
Davar Charif: Sharp Foods, Sharp Knives – with Rabbi Eli Reingold – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Monday, January 21, Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Camp Gevaldig will be hosting a family bowling event at the College Park lanes on Wednesday, January 23 between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. The price is $6 per person for two hours of bowling. This includes shoes and as much bowling as you can fit into two hours. Please reserve your spot: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Tu B'Shevat Haggadah is available to the community from the Kayamut/Sustainability Circle. Copies have been placed in the YISE lobby.
JNF Phone-A-Thon – Calling all volunteers! Sunday, January 27. The Tower Companies, 2000 Tower Oaks Blvd., 9th Floor, Rockville. Refreshments will be provided. Community service hours. Register online at jnf.org/dcgreensunday. For more information: Eric Narrow, email@example.com or 301.589.8565 ext. 842.
LBJA P.I.E (Parent Informative Evening) Night – Meet the staff, view the curriculum, visit the classroom, ask questions, meet our parent body. Monday evening, January 28 at 8:00 PM. LBJA main room 1401 Arcola Ave. For more information: 301-592-8433, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.lbja.org.
Know someone who needs financial assistance? To help send a kid to camp, for assistance with college expenses, debt consolidation, or other financial needs, please call the Hebrew Free Loan Association at 301-770-4836 for further information, or speak with Dean Grayson (301) 908-2645. You can also visit: http://hebrewfreeloandc.org/ This organization offers discreet, interest free loans to qualified applicants.
Don't Waste it – Planning a Simcha? Mazal Tov! What do you plan to do with any left-over catered food from certified kosher stores or caterers? The Yehudah Mond Foundation can distribute your extra food with local families who have a need. To donate, call, or have your caterer contact email@example.com, or 301-537-7158.
Helpline for Frum with Addictions – Do you, or some one you love, have a problem with drugs, alcohol, overeating, or any other form of addiction? Please call 1-866-zehayom for confidential help geared toward the frum community. Sponsored in part by the Yehudah Mond Foundation.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 20 Monday, Jan. 21 MLK Jr. Day Tuesday, January 22 Wednesday, January 23 Thursday, January 24 Friday, January 25
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 * 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:05 5:05 5:05 5:05 5:05 See Shabbos schedule
University 5:05 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
* All three Arcola Ashkenazi Minyanim on Monday morning, January 21, MLK Jr. Day, will take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
January 25-26, 2013 – 15 Shevat 5773
Parshas Beshalach – Tu B'Shevat
Light Candles by 5:03 – Havdalah 6:05
* Light Candles by 5:03
* Mincha 5:00 (Sephardi), 5:05 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:45 (Sephardi), 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:05
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 19 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, Jan. 25-26 Scholar in Residence: Rabbi Elchanan Adler
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, Feb. 3 Super Bowl Party, 6:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director