Parashas Bo – January 11 – 12, 2019
Download the January 11 – 12, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 11 – 12, 2019 – 6 Shevat 5779 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 4:47 – Havdalah 5:50
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously as Hakaras Hatov‚ for all that Yad Yehuda does for the entire greater Washington community.
* Jonathan Bart on the engagement of his nephew, Ari Krischer, son of Ellen & Shalom Krischer, of Teaneck, NJ, to Karen Schaeffer, daughter of Debbie & Alan Schaeffer, of Memphis, TN. Mazal Tov also to grandmother, Frieda Bart, and the entire Bart, Krischer and Schaeffer families.
* Barbara Price and family on the occasion of the Bar Mitzvah of her grandson, Shlomo Price, son of Lea & Rabbi Daniel Price of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Rena & Yoni Schwarz on the birth of a baby girl, Shoshana Rose (Shoshana Reizel).
YISE is dedicating this Shabbos to Yad Yehuda, a remarkable volunteer organization which brings much financial support to many in our Shul and the broader Greater Washington community. Each Shacharis Minyan will be addressed in some form. Please consider how you can be of help to this vital cause.
* Light Candles by 4:47
Ashkenazi: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:45 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Shabbos Ends: 5:50
* 8:45 Main Minyan, Sephardi Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Bernice & Eddie Cohen on their daughter Reyna Cohen's upcoming marriage to Eli Mamann and Shirli & Ofer Levi in honor of the marriage of their daughter Yuval to Avi Koslovsky.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur following the Rabbi's Drasha, approximately 10:45 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, , will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will not take place on Friday, January 18.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will take place this week in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'Dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, January 12, at 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Debbie and Jeff Weinstein and family in honor of Debbie's mother's Yahrzeit, Leah Bas Dovid. For more info., please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism: Sunday, January 13, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon. YISE Small Social Hall. Autism, a developmental disorder that is growing in prevalence, affects social skills, communication, and repetitive behaviors. Awareness and understanding of autism increases the chances of early diagnosis and support. Learn from an expert panel: the signs and symptoms of autism, the experience of parenting a child with autism, techniques for teaching children with this diagnosis, the perspective of an openly autistic professional, and some Jewish insights on disabilities. Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. See the flyer for more information.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 16, 12 Noon, Social Hall. DVD "The Hope: The Rebirth of Israel" Part 2
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, January 17 through Thursday, January 24. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter (including finances) can call the Shul office, 301- 593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through, Torah, Tefillah, and Song! Shabbos Parshas Mishpatim, February 1-2 at YISE. See the flyer for more info. and for sponsorship opportunities. To make reservations, call Simi Franco at 301-593-4465×403 or 301-346-8752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool Presents: How Learning Happens: Why We Do What We Do. In recognition of the important purpose Bonei Olam serves for our community, the Shomrai Preschool event that was scheduled for the evening of February 24th is cancelled. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com for more information about Shomrai Preschool or to schedule a tour.
Save the Date! Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Long-time member Suzanne Stern is moving from Ring House to Landow House in the same complex. She'd like to keep in touch and visit with her old friends. Her phone number is the same (301-230-6583). Her new apartment is at 1799 East Jefferson Drive, apartment 123.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva Snif – This Shabbos, January 12, 3:30 PM – 4:40 PM. 2nd – 6th graders at KMS. Additionally, during regular Snif for kids, parents are invited to experience what Bnei Akiva is all about with some fun learning games led by our visiting Bnei Akiva Bogrim. Walking Groups leave YISE at 3:05 and return at 5:00.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 12, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:00 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Rd. Tuesday, January 15, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Lopiansky.
Music Class for Babies and Toddlers, Ages 0 – 4 – Sunday, January 13, 9:30 AM – 10:15 AM at Berman Hebrew Academy. Coffee, bagels, and schmoozing for the grown-ups and snacks for the kiddos too. Have fun, stay warm, and get a little taste of the Berman Hebrew Academy Preschool. RSVP to Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 or email@example.com
Free Job Search Webinars:
* LinkedIn 101, Tuesday, January 15, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM
* USAJOBS – Creating a Profile to Get You Noticed, Sunday, January 27, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM.
For more information and to register, please visit www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 16, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Communal Response to Trauma – Sunday, January 20, 10:30 AM with Rabbi Simkha Weintraub, LCSW, at the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, 6101 Executive Blvd., #200, North Bethesda, MD 20852.
Chevra Kadisha Tahara Training – The Chevra Kadisha invites all community members to come learn about the Tahara process from Rabbi Elchonon Zohn, the president of the National Association of Chevra Kadisha (NACK). Training will take place on Sunday, January 20, at YISE. General training session 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Session for leaders and those who wish to learn more about becoming a Tahara leader from 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM. The Chevra Kadisha strongly encourages all Chevra volunteers and community members who wish to join the Chevra Kadisha to come and get a better understanding of our work.
2019 Ari Zymelman Parenting Conversation – "Overcoming Childhood Anxiety: A Family Approach to Taming the Worries" – presented by Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School of the Nation's Capital, featuring Dr. Dan Shapiro, Tuesday, January 29, Kay and Robert Schattner Center North Campus, 6045 16th Street, NW. RSVP at www.miltongottesman.org or call (202) 882-4747
Yad Yehuda Breakfast – Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington serves our community through Tomchei Shabbos, Capital Kosher Pantry, and Emergency Financial Relief. Show your support at the Yad Yehuda Breakfast on February 3, 9:30 AM, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. For more details, go to www.yadyehuda.org/brunch.html
Chevra Kadisha Zayin Adar Dinner It has become the custom of Chevrai Kadisha worldwide to mark the Yahrzeit of Moshe Rabbeinu by gathering for a festive community meal. The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to a dinner in recognition of the work of the Chevra. Monday, February 11, 7:00 PM at YISE. For more information and to make reservations, please visit: www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar-dinner.html
An Evening to Benefit Bonei Olam of Greater Washington – Sunday, February 24, 7:00 PM, at the home of Dr. Aviva & Mr. Meir Kramer, 701 Yeatman Parkway, Silver Spring, MD. Featured speaker: Dr. Michael Levy, co-founder, Shady Grove Fertility. Video message: Rabbi Shlomo Bochner, founder, Bonei Olam. Hear a personal account of one woman's struggle and subsequent miracle, "Journey of Challenge + Joy". All proceeds to benefit local couples in the greater Washington area. Light refreshments, Chinese appetizers and desserts. No cost to attend. For more information, contact email@example.com
IZUN provides financial education and decision-making support – IZUN's trained confidential counselors help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at qsthe Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM. Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs donations of kosher food items to fill its shelves. To make it simple to donate, we have set up online "Wish Lists" at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com. Much like a wedding registry, our Wish Lists are regularly updated to help the community choose and donate the items that the pantry currently needs. Items are shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry, usually with no shipping fee. Feel free to take advantage of any online sales you may find on relevant pantry items, but please verify that they have reliable kosher supervision. For links to the Pantry Wish Lists, please visit www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist Please support this important community resource and pass this information to your friends and family! For more information about the Capital Kosher Pantry, visit www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry Thanks so much for your ongoing support!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Confidential Support and Friendship Group is being formed by The Golden Network. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 email@example.com, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Esther Dziadek email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 13 Monday January 14 Tuesday January 15 Wednesday January 16 Thursday January 17 Friday January 18
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:55 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM
January 18 – 19, 2019 – 13 Shevat 5779
Light Candles by 4:54 – Havdalah 5:57
* Light Candles by 4:54
Ashkenazi: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:50 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:57
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 12 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 13 Making Sense of Autism, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 13 Clothing Drive, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, KMS
Wednesday, January 16 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, February 1-2 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 16 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager