Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 10-11, 2014 – 10 Shevat 5774 – Parshas Beshalach – Shabbos Shirah
Light Candles by 4:46 – Havdalah 5:50
* Light Candles by 4:46
* Mincha 4:50, Ruach, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:30 (Sephardi), 4:45 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:50
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume in February.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:15 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Yosi Scharf on his marriage to Nechama Krieger of Philadelphia.
* Bonnie & Rabbi Yitz Szyf on the birth of a baby girl.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – Shiur will not meet on Friday, January 17.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – Program will will not meet this Sunday, January 12.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-4 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Kindergarten groups meet in small Beis Medrash; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday, January 10, at 4:50 in the Arcola Social Hall.
DNA in Halacha: Admissible Evidence? – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a Jewish ethics lecture by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, Sunday, January 12, 9:30 AM at YISE.
YISE Together-for-5 – Restarted on Monday, January 6 with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about The Final Berachos of Shemoneh Esrei. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
YISE Youth Department Tu B'Shevat Event – Make your own edible craft and learn about Tu B'Shevat. For ages 4-8. Sunday, January 12, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. For more information or to help sponsor this event email@example.com
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is going on vacation from January 16 through 26. People with Halachic questions should feel free to call Rabbi Silver at 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum about a pressing matter should contact a member of the office staff, who will alert Rabbi Rosenbaum.
New Shiurim with Rabbi Silver:
* Back to the Basics: An in depth and textual study of the Thirteen Principles of Faith – Rabbi Silver will be giving a two part series on Monday nights January 20 and 27, 8:00 PM in the Beis Medrash.
* Halacha: A source based study of relevant topics – Beginning on January 21, Rabbi Silver will be giving a weekly Shiur for Men on Tuesday Nights. (Details are still being finalized.)
Back by Popular Demand: Trivia Night – presented by the YISE Social Committee. General Knowledge Trivia Questions. January 25 at 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall, Cost: $5 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
An Inspirational Shabbos – Presented by GWCK in conjuntion with YISE. Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and song. Shabbos, February 7-8, at YISE. Program highlights: Thought provoking lectures, Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday night family dinner, and inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros (by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Simcha Leiner). To make reservations, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or email@example.com
Eldercare workshop: The Special Challenges of Long Distance Care Giving – Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE and KMS. Featuring Barbara Trainin Blank, an awardwinning writer and the author of the recently published "What to Do about Mama." Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at KMS. Light refreshments. Free Admission. RSVP requested to info@ bikurcholimgw.org or 202 331-4481.
YISE Nursery Registration for 2014-2015 is now OPEN – Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. For inquiries contact 301 593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Honorees: Jodi & David Mazel
Young Leadership: Rachelli & Craig Simon
and Youth Honorees: Tara Kugler – Naomi Merkin – Adena Miller
To volunteer to serve on a Banquet Committee, please contact Elise Saks at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM. Bnei Akiva Silver Spring Snif this Shabbos, January 11 from 3:30 PM until Mincha at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:00.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
The Torah School PTA is once again selling beautiful dried fruit platters for Tu B'Shevat – 3 sizes to choose from. They make beautiful gifts for friends, family, and neighbors. Orders are due by Monday, January 13. For info and orders contact Becky Langer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-681-7190.
Southeast Hebrew Congregation (SEHC), in partnership with the Destiny Foundation (http://www.jewishdestiny.com/), will be hosting a live presentation on Monday, January 13, 7:30 PM at SEHC, featuring Rabbi Berel Wein and Rabbi Yissocher Frand. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students. For more information, or to be a sponsor, please contact Fred Mailman email@example.com or Hyam Singer firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAFSA & Beyond – A Financial Aid Workshop for Higher Ed & the "Gap" Year – YGW presents for parents of 10th-12th graders in our community. Tuesday January 14, 8:00 PM, YGW Girls Division Campus, Mr. Robert Friedman, YU Director of Student Finance. Handouts on the processes of Financial Aid. Inside information on finding funding. Get your questions answered by an expert in the field. For more information contact Mrs. Sima Jacoby at 301-962-5111 ext. 1502 or email@example.com.
I Had a Dream: Real or Imaginary A Halachic Response – Monday, January 20, The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Moshe Walter presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
To Make a Proper Shabbos Choice: Borrer on Shabbos – A focus on Halacha Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, January 20 at 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Presented by YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
The Good Book for 2014, listing members of the Washington area Jewish community, is in preparation. YISE members wishing to be included or to make changes in their listing should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-358-6068.
Simplify your Tzedakah record keeping and distribution by paying one check to Agudath Israel Charity Fund and keep some of your money for local Orthodox schools. Scrip may be purchased in denominations of $1.25, $3, $5, $10, $18, etc. To place an order or for more information, please contact Loretta Sadwin at 301 593-4739.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – (1) "Tips for Veterans" on January 13. (2) "Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications" on January 14 and 15. (3) "How to Use USAJobs.gov" on January 16. (4) "Tips for Students and Recent Graduates" on January 23. For all classes, register at http://www.resume-place.com/services/freewebinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 12 Monday, January 13 Tuesday, January 14 Wednesday, January 15 Thursday, Jan. 16 – Tu B'Shevat Friday, January 17
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:49 PM
January 17-18, 2014 – 17 Shevat 5774
Light Candles by 4:54 – Havdalah 5:57
* Light Candles by 4:54
* Mincha 4:55, 4:50 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:35 (Sephardi), 4:50 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:57
Friday, January 10 Ruach Minyan, 4:50, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, January 12 YISE Youth Tu B'Shevat Event
Wednesday, January 15 Senior Lunch, Speaker will be Amit
Levinson, Shaliach from the JCC
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 18 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Sunday, February 16 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 15, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director