Download the January 25-26 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 25-26, 2013 – 15 Shevat 5773 – Parshas Beshalach – Tu B'Shevat
Light Candles by 5:03 – Havdalah 6:05
* Light Candles by 5:03
* Mincha 5:00 (Sephardi), 5:05 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:45 (Sephardi), 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:05
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Elchanan Adler
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lee, Craig and Ari Oppenheim in honor of the birth of their grandson and nephew, Naftali Moshe, and in honor of Naftali's parents Naomi & Nathan Fein who are here with us this Shabbos.
* 8 AM Minyan – “The Chevra”
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Volosovs in honor of the Bris of their son and the Adult Education Committee in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Elchanan Adler.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Elchanan Adler – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Reuven Kasierer – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the youth room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, has been suspended indefinitely.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of “Lifnei Ivar: Causing Others Harm or to Sin.” Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
Like YISE on Facebook:
* Avital & Jason Goldwasser on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Judy & Arnold Slyper and to the great-grandparents Samuel Blech & Ilona Blech z”l. The Simchat Bat will be held in the G-level party room in 1111 University Blvd. at 8:00 PM.
* Judy & David Marwick on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Moriah Ravit EvenChen, daughter of Chana & Josh EvenChen of Maale Adumim.
* The Silverman and Natelson families and all the Mishpocha on the marriage of their children Shmuel & Sarah.
* Tamar & David Volosov on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to the baby's sisters, Ayala and Keira, to his grandparents, Marilyn & Judah Lifschitz, Paul & Lois Volosov, and to the rest of his family. The Shalom Zachor will be held at Tamar & David Volosov's home at 1122 Kersey Road at 8:00 PM. The Bris will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, following the Scholar-in-Residence (approximately 11:30 AM).
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Elchanan Adler, Rosh Yeshiva, RIETS of Yeshiva University, Eva, Morris and Jack Rubin Chair of Rabbinics, author of “Mitzvat HaShabbos” and a work on Birkas HaChodesh, this Shabbos, Parhas Beshalach, January 25-26. Schedule:
* 8:00 PM Friday evening:
May G-d keep the Czar…: Praying for the Government.
* After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan:
Torah and Menschlekeit: What comes first?
* Between Mincha and Maariv:
Offering Advice: Halachic parameters and pitfalls.
Together for 5 – Join a Shul-wide initiative to learn together for five-minutes a day. Sign up to receive e-mail links to MP3/Audio Shiurim and /or podcasts 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Listen anytime that works for you! In the first series of Shiurim, Rabbi Rosenbaum will review the Halachos of Purim. This series will run Mon thru Fri – Feb 4 thru Feb 22. Shiurim will be approx 5 minutes long each day. Additional information will be coming soon. To sign up, for more information or to suggest topics for future programs, please contact Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky at email@example.com.
Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE presents the Fourth Annual Shabbaton, Parshas Yisro, February 1-2. There will be presentations at YISE throughout Shabbos, including the following by Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rosh Kollel: 8:45 Minyan – Legacy of Love; Gifts of Royalty: An Appreciation of Matan Torah and the Exodus; Between Mincha and Maariv – Love Thy Neighbor: A Halachic Presentation on Common Issues Arising Between Neighbors. In addition, please join us at the following programs: Friday night Oneg Shabbos – 8:00 PM at the home of Simi & Sammy Franco, 11525 Monticello Ave. Women's Class – 3:15 PM, Sinai and You; Forever Together, Mrs. Sara Malka Winter at the home of Fran Broder, 11801 Clintwood Place. Oneg Shabbos for Teenage Girls – 3:15 PM, Finding the Road to Happiness – A Lively Discussion with Mrs. Nechama Zakem at the home of Valerie & Dan Kugler, 11602 Fillmore Dr.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, February 4, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 203 (Mrs. Brenda Eisenberg's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman – 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The YISE Sisterhood announces its 4th Annual Membership Brunch on Sunday, February 17 from 10:00 AM to noon in the YISE Arcola Social Hall. Details to Follow!
Avi & Esti Zemelman are making Aliyah! Please join us in wishing them Tzeischem L'Shalom, blessings of good health & good luck in their new home in Israel, on Shabbos, Feb. 2, at the Kiddush being sponsored by their friends in their honor after the 8:45 AM Minyan. For more information, please contact: Nancy & Avi Karkowsky, 301-649-4519, nkarkowsky@ gmail.com (after Jan. 27), Gail Sanders, 301-593-8838, email@example.com (until Jan. 28), or Bev Brinn, 301-593-4104, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Assist Events:
* Online Computer Training – Week of Jan 27. (1) Computer- Aided Design, 6 sessions, and (2) QuickBooks for Beginners. For both classes, info and register (required) at www.oujobs.org.
Youth and Nursery Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Nursery Registration for 2013 – 2014 is now open. Early bird registration fee deadline is February 15. Contact Lianne Heller at (301)593-7365 or email@example.com to make an appointment to tour the school – spaces are limited.
Yise Youth presents Laser Tag for Girls, 7th grade and up. Saturday night, February 2, 8:00 PM-10:00 PM. Leaving Shomrai Promptly at 8:00 PM. Cost:$13 Includes Two Adventures. Space is limited. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 347-613-6367. Volunteer drivers are needed.
YISE Youth presents Super Bowl Sunday at Shomrai! Sunday February 3, Kick off 6:30 p.m. All are welcome. Hot dogs and wings provided at a nominal fee. Contact Avi Litwack for more info at email@example.com.
Community Programs and Listings
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
We regret to inform you of the passing of former YISE member Joseph Grossman, father of Sharon Rottman and Joy Grossman.Burial was in Israel. Shiva will be held through Wednesday morning at the Rottman home, Rehov Nahal Ein Gedi 40/3 in the Ramat Shilo section of RBS Aleph.
YGW WAA-GW Chapter presents “ Davar Charif: Sharp Foods, Sharp Knives” – a Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, January 28, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys' Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
A Tu B'Shevat Haggadah is available to the community from the Kayamut / Sustainability Circle. Copies have been placed in the YISE lobby.
All are invited to a special evening with the Koidenover Rebbe at the home of Naomi & Nachi Hirschfeld (1131 Kersey Rd.) on Wednesday night, January 30. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 5:00 PM, followed by Maariv at 8:15 PM and an uplifitng Kumzitz. This is a unique opportunity to meet the Rebbe, who is much sought after for his Brochos and advice. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more info, please contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
JNF Phone-A-Thon – Calling all volunteers! Sunday, January 27. The Tower Companies, 2000 Tower Oaks Blvd., 9th Floor, Rockville. Refreshments will be provided. Community service hours. Register online at jnf.org/dcgreensunday. For more information: Eric Narrow, email@example.com or 301.589.8565 ext. 842.
LBJA P.I.E. (Parent Informative Evening) Night – Meet the staff, view the curriculum, visit the classroom, ask questions, meet our parent body. Monday evening, January 28 at 8:00 PM. LBJA main room 1401 Arcola Ave. For more information: 301-592-8433, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.lbja.org.
Sulam presents: “School Success for Kids with ADHD; Supports for Home and School” featuring Dr. Stephan Silverman, Director of Psychological and Behavioral Services for The Weinfeld Education Group; Moderated by Dr. Rachel Ravin, Sulam Psychologist. February 13, 7:45 PM at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Jewish Disability Awareness month is February. For more information, call 301-962-9400 x5523.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 27 Monday, January 28 Tuesday, January 29 Wednesday, January 30 Thursday, January 31 Friday, February 1
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 See Shabbos Schedule
University 5:10 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:24 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 1-2, 2013 – 22 Shevat 5773
Light Candles by 5:11 – Havdalah 6:13
* Light Candles by 5:11
* Mincha 5:10 (Sephardi), 5:15 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:55 (Sephardi), 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:13
Shabbos, Jan. 25-26 Scholar in Residence: Rabbi Elchanan Adler
Shabbos, Feb, 1-2 GWCK / YISE Shabbaton
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, Feb. 3 Super Bowl Party, 6:30 PM
Tuesday, Feb. 5 Elzee's, Arcola, 11:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Wednesday, Feb. 6 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12:00 Noon
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 30, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director