Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 10-11, 2017 – 15 Shevat 5777 – Parshas Beshalach – Shabbos Shirah
Light Candles by 5:22 – Havdalah 6:22
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Melanie & Sandy Karlin in honor of the first birthday of their granddaughter, Tova Kayla, daughter of Shayna & Raphael Karlin, and the 99th birthday of Sandy's father, Charles Karlin.
* Elaine & Rabbi William Millen on the marriage of their grandson, Shmuli Gross, son of Pia & Moshe Gross of Baltimore, to Yocheved Weinstein, daughter of Shifra & Shimshon Refoel Weinstein of Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 5:22
Arcola: 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will merge with the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:22
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra" with contributions from Marion & Fred Miller in honor of the 12th Yahrzeit of Fred's father.
* Sephardi Minyan – Chaim Cohen, Popi Elul, Micha Dahan and Avi Peretz.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – "Joint Kiddush"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:20 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes on Talmud, Parasha, Navi, and philosophy.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday – 613; Tuesday – In The Beginning; Wednesday – Torah Topics; Thursday – Inspired Avodah
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will resume on February 20.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Tori & Daniel Selig
Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – CANCELLED.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 11, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! This week is sponsored by Chava & Rafi Cohen in gratitude to YISE, Rabbi Rosenbaum, Michael Shimoff, and all of those who make Dor L'Dor possible. Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
YISE Paint Nite – Presented by the YISE Social Committee with Talya Weinberg. Motzei Shabbos, February 18. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting begins at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
Make the Most of Your Doctor's Appointment – A medical panel coaches you in how to plan for your visit, discuss sensitive topics, and ask the right questions about tests, medications, and results. Drs. Theo Heller, David Taragin, and Daniel Schwartz. Sunday, February 19, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Beis Medrash. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, SSJC, and Ohr Hatorah.
Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L – The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to a gathering to mark the first Yahrzeit of its long-time President. Sunday, February 19, 8:00 PM at YISE. Speakers will be Rabbi Yehoshua Wender, Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi Sheftel Neuberger, and Rabbi Menachem Winter.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Nursery is seeking Full-Time and Part-Time Teacher Assistants for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for teacher assistants who want to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, ECE 90 Hour Course preferred. Please contact Ruthie Cohen at email@example.com if interested.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Women of all ages are invited to join us for our third annual event, Sunday, February 19, 2017 from 5:45 PM – 7:15 PM. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 11, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 15, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* 5 Tips to Battle Ageism – Free webinar with Peggy McKee. Tuesday, February 14, 1:00 PM. More info and register at http://careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
* Perfect Interview Answers – Free webinar with Peggy McKee. Wednesday, February 15, 1:00 PM. More info and register at http://careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA's Career Gateway starts February 27. For info, contact Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
Mikvah Emunah Society Annual Dinner – Honoring Dr. Caroline Namrow and Rabbi Jacob I. Halpern, Community Service Award. Wednesday, February 15, at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Buffet dinner begins at 6:30 PM. To RSVP or to place an ad in the commemorative journal please visit www.mikvahemunah.org
Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill, Shabbos, February 17-18. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a time to speak with Bracha privately when she is here, please contact her at email@example.com or Naomi Carmel at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Unveiling for Esther Becker will be on Sunday, February 19 at 2:00 PM at the Ohev Sholom cemetery, 3237 15th Place S.E., Washington, DC.
Zoned In: The Halachos of Kavana – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, March 5. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 12 Monday, February 13 Tuesday, February 14 Wednesday, February 15 Thursday, February 16 Friday, February 17
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:30 5:30 / 7:30 5:30 / 7:30 5:30 / 7:30 5:30 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:10 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:38 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 17-18, 2017 – 22 Shevat 5777
Light Candles by 5:30 – Havdalah 6:30
* Light Candles by 5:30
Arcola: 5:30 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:30
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 11 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
Monday, February 13 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, February 15 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall – Ed Fritz: The Most Underrated President in American History
Shabbos, February 18 Bar Mitzvah of Meir Katz
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 18 YISE Paint Nite, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, February 19 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Monday, February 20 Basic Colors, 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Friday, February 24 Ruach Minyan, 5:40 PM, YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 15 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager