Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 30-31, 2015 – 11 Shevat 5775 – Parshas Beshalach
Light Candles by 5:08 – Havdalah 6:10
* Light Candles by 5:08
Arcola: 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:05 University: 5:05 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:10
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Marion & Fred Miller in honor of the 10th Yahrzeit of Fred's father, Michael Miller.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:20 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a grandson, Kalman Mordechai, to Hadassah & Yitzi Becker of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to the great-grandmother Esther Becker and to his siblings Avigayil, Yehoshua, and Shmuel Tzvi.
* Tzipporah & Dani Gabriel on the birth of a son. The Shalom Zachar will be held at 7:45 PM at their home, 808 Kersey Road.
* Renee & Josh Seidemann on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Ruthie. Mazal Tov to her brother, Avishai.
* Sarah Braun on the passing of her mother, Mary Cohn, and to Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum on the passing of her grandmother. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the Braun home, 913 Hoyt Street, through Monday night.
* Fran Broder on the passing of her father, Bernard Creeger. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the home of her brother, 3115 Shelburne Road, Baltimore, through Tuesday morning.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, January 31, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Carol & Tuvia Lazar in honor of all the children in the community who love learning, especially the youth leaders. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a review for married men on Monday, February 2, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Beis Medrash.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. NOTE NEW TIME. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Food for Thought: Developing a Healthier Relationship with Food for You and Your Family – Please NOTE NEW DATE: Tuesday, February 3, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Alana Riss Fine, PhD, psychologist, will speak about creating a healthy food environment in your home. Come and bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part II of a two-part refresher course on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM, in the YISE Beis Medrash. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
Megillas Esther: Why the Slow Beginning? – Women's Pre-Purim Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, February 15, 8:30 PM at the home of Bassie Katz, 11524 Charlton Drive.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, March 1
Early Bird Deadline is this Sunday, February 1.
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller, Steve Resnick, and
Youth Honorees: Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at
301-593-4465 or email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Community-Wide Shlock Rock Concert – Sunday, February 1, 3:30 PM, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Tickets are $5 each. Contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Pre-Pesach Prep: Staying Calm for Pesach – in Practice and in Hashkafa – Monday, February 2, Shiur for women with Mrs. Rachelle Reingold & Mrs. Stephanie Savir. Guidance on making the weeks up to Pesach calmer and more organized. Checklists, calendars and recipes will be distributed. 8:00 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by the YGW Women's Alumnae Association. For more information please contact Mrs. Reingold at 301-962-5111 ext 1424 or email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 4, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A Midsummer Night's Texas-Sized Nightmare by Burton Bumgarner – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy Middle School HADAS. Directed by Mrs. Abby Rose and Ms. Aliza Graber. Berman Hebrew Academy, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Saturday, February 7, 8:15 PM and Sunday, February 8, 4:00 PM. Tickets: Students/Seniors $3.00, Adults $5.00. Be an angel and sponsor us! For more information contact Abby Rose at email email@example.com or Aliza Graber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Women's Wellness Series Workshop: A Practical Spiritual Toolbox for the 21st Century Woman Conducted by Israela Meyerstein, LCSW-C, LCMFT. February 8, 10:00 AM -11:30 AM in Kemp Mill. This workshop will explore how a practical spiritual toolbox can help women feel more centered, engage in self-care, develop "countermeasures" to stressful daily life, and attain greater wellness for themselves and their families. Registration is required for this event. For more information or to register, visit www.bikurcholimgw.org, contact email@example.com or 202-331-4481.
TSGW 12th Annual Auction – Sunday, February 8, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. You do not need to be there to win! Those who make reservations in advance will receive $15 worth of free auction tickets at the event! Reservations or to order online, visit tsgwauction.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Take a tour of the BHA Preschool and Kindergarten – February 9, 9:30 AM. Berman Hebrew Academy. To RSVP or to make an appointment, visit www.mjbha.org or contact Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400 ext 5630 or email@example.com
Spiritual Healing from the Torah (EmunaHealing), The Healing Power of the Shema Yisrael – Shiur for Women. Tuesday, February 17, 7:30 PM, at the home of Bracha Melman, 512 Northwest Drive. Suggested donation $36 or whatever you can afford. Contact Devorah Miller 301-622-1527 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820.
Job Assist Events:
* Project Management Training Online – Series of 6 classes starts on Feb. 2. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 1 Monday, February 2 Tuesday, February 3 Wed., Feb. 4 – Tu B'Shevat Thursday, February 5 Friday, February 6
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:21 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
Febrary 6-7, 2015 – 18 Shevat 5775
Light Candles by 5:16 – Havdalah 6:18
* Light Candles by 5:16
Arcola: 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:15 University: 5:15 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:18
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 31 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, February 2 Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men
Tuesday, February 3 Parent Education Workshop
Wednesday, February 4 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Dr. Itzhak Brook discusses his book "In the Sands of the Sinai – A Physician's Account of the Yom Kippur War"
Shabbos, February 7 Bar Mitzvah of Hershel Katz
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 14 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 4 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director