Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 22-23, 2016 – 13 Shevat 5776 – Parshas Beshalach – Shabbos Shirah
Light Candles by 4:59 – Havdalah 6:01
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Debbie & Marc Katz on the birth of a grandson Yosef Meir, born to Nechama & Ezra Katz of Baltimore. Mazal tov also to the big brother, Michoel Leib, to aunt and uncles Sara & Josh, Rafi and Benjamin and to cousins Zach and Arik.
* Joyce & Nino Dworsky-Srour on the birth of a grandson to Brenah & Avi Siegel. Mazal Tov to grandfather Steve Siegel of Queens, and all the great-grandparents. Mazal Tov also to Merric Srour and Randi (Siegel) & Jonny Mass of Israel. The Shalom Zachor will be at 1308 Heather Crest Terrace at 8:30 PM.
* Light Candles by 4:59
Arcola: 5:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:55 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:01
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Fran & Alan Broder and family to commemorate the first Yahrzeit of Fran's father, Bernard Creeger, Baruch Mordechai Ben Shmuel Moshe.
* Sephardi Minyan – Joyce & Nino Dworsky-Srour on the birth of a grandson and by Micha Dahan.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:55 PM.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur at 4:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume January 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume January 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume January 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua – will resume January 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume January 27.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Chana Sara & Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Halachos of Mezuzah. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Perspectives on the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim: Strengthening the Sick and the Wounded and Strengthening the Jewish People – In commemoration of the 15th yahrzeit of Deborah Lerner Gross, A"H, the Greater Washington Community is invited to an evening with Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau, Chief Rabbi of Tel Aviv-Yaffo, former Chief Rabbi of the State of Israel and Chairman of Yad Vashem Council. Tuesday, January 26 at 7:30 PM at KMS. This event is co-sponsored by YISE.
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 30, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Reconciling the Joy of Serving Hashem with Reverence – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, January 31, at 8:00 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Rabbi Burnham's class on how to lead Davening for Shabbos and Yom Tov will NOT meet this Monday, but will resume the following Monday, February 1, focusing on Shabbos Musaf and Mincha. For more info, contact email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, February 1, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Please note change of meeting place in the same building: 1111 University Blvd. W., – G-Level Party Room. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE: Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos – Shabbos, February 5-6. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the Greater Washington Community Kollel. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer, Simcha Leiner. Elegant catered Friday Night family dinner (Adult: $22, Children (3-7): $12,Children under 3: free) with free babysitting during the dinner available.To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com Sponsorship opportunities available.
Back by Popular Demand: YISE Social Committee Presents: Trivia Night – General knowledge trivia questions. Motzei Shabbos, February 6. Doors open at 7:45 PM, Games begin at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Cost: $3 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Social@yise.org
Landmark Pesach Wine Event – Don't miss this unprecedented chance to taste and learn about new wines from Israel and place your order for wines for Pesach. Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. Presentation, tasting and cheese pairing, and ordering opportunity. This is a joint community event by KMS and YISE. Cost: $10 in advance, $15 at the door. $10 of each admission will be applied to your wine order. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.yise.org/wine The order list is extensive and will include your traditional favorites as well as special new releases, labels and special values. L'Chaim!
YISE Security – Please consider helping sponsor our increased security presence. The requested contribution is $36 per household. Of course, smaller or larger amounts will be gratefully accepted. A list of the donors will be displayed on the electronic board in the coming weeks. Tax-deductible checks made to YISE or donate through our website at www.yise.org and select "YISE Security Fund" when you submit.
Help make a Minyan! For the past 2+ years volunteers have been successfully helping University make a Minyan as needed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, due to people moving away, etc., we are again looking for additional volunteers to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Shabbos Minyan. The expectation is that you can be called upon four times a year. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the
YOUTH GROUPS WILL NOT MEET THIS WEEK.
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? For highschool students. Sunday, February 7, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to Elisheva & Itamar Gat on the birth of a baby boy. The Shalom Zachor will be at their home, 1000 North Belgrade Road from 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM. The bris will take place on Shabbos at 11:30 AM at their home.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Good Book Directory Updates – The 21st annual edition of Greater Washington's (free) Directory is now closing. If you wish to list your household or update your info, please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-358-6068.
Hearing Aid Re-use Project (HARP) – Donate your inherited or obsolete hearing aids (only behind the ear types) so that others in our community might try to reprogram and reuse them, thereby saving big bucks. They are too expensive to discard. For more info, to donate, or to sign up on a waiting list, contact Jack.Calman@post.harvard.edu or 301-593-7359.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 27, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Peter Pan – YGW- Tiferes Gedaliah – Girls Division presents a production for women and girls ONLY. Sunday, February 7 at 5:30 PM and Monday, February 8 at 7:30 PM at the JCC of Greater Washington. Tickets available in advance and at the door. Sponsorships and Playbill advertising deadline February 1. For more information, to purchase tickets, or to place ads: www.yeshiva.edu, 301-962-5111 x1407 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE: Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, February 28 at its Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men. For more information: Contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Mayan Hakesef Foundation Inc. is a new interest-free loan Gemach located in Kemp Mill and serving our community with the guidance and approval of Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. The Foundation provides loans up to $5,000 with a basic requirement of 2 co-signers. If you would like to donate for this great cause or for more information on how to get a loan please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Free workshops for job-seekers: (1) Interviewing, Monday, January 25, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 410-290-2600, (2) Networking, Tuesday, January 26, 2:00 PM – 4:00pm, 410-290-2600, (3) Reemployment Opportunities, Wednesday, January 27, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, 410-290-2607, and (4) Social Media for Job Seekers, Friday, January 29, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 410-290-2600. All workshops at 7161 Columbia Gateway Drive, Suite D, Columbia.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 24 Monday, Jan. 25 – Tu B'Shevat Tuesday, January 26 Wednesday, January 27 Thursday, January 28 Friday, January 29
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 5:05 5:05, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:05, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:05, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:05, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
January 29-30, 2016 – 20 Shevat 5776
Light Candles by 5:07 – Havdalah 6:09
* Light Candles by 5:07
Arcola: 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:05 University: 5:05 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:09
Monday, January 25 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 30 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:15 PM
Shabbos, February 5-6 Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 6 YISE Social Committee Trivia Night
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 20 Landmark Pesach Wine Event
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 27 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday and Tuesday 12:00 Noon-5:00 PM,
Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
NOTE: Shortened hours due to limited staff.
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director