Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 18 – 19, 2019 – 6 Shevat 5779 – Parshas Beshalach – Shabbos Shirah
Light Candles by 4:54 – Havdalah 5:57
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson family to thank Rabbi Rosenbaum, Simi Franco, Bikur Cholim and the entire community for all of their assistance with rides, Shiva meals, Minyanim and support during our difficult time.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandsons, Moshe Etan Schertz of Harrisburg PA, and Yehuda Zev Becker of Cleveland OH.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-grandson, born to her granddaughter, Dina Gershon Eliezer, of Beit Shemesh. Mazal Tov to the baby's siblings, Yonai and Nitai, and the whole family.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter, Shoshana Miller, daughter of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Irvine, CA, to Shlomo Zalman Kaplan, son of Beth Kaplan and Chaim Kaplan of Flatbush. Mazal Tov to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Zeev and greatgrandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Elisheva & Arye Leib Friedman of Ramat Beit Shemesh.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of twin great-grandchildren, a boy and a girl. Mazal Tov to the parents Tova & Yaakov Zehnwirth and the grandparents Rabbi Manny & Randee Goldberger.
* Light Candles by 4:54
Ashkenazi: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:50 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Shabbos Ends: 5:57
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Micha Dahan in honor of Shabbos Shirah
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – David & Tamara Goodman in honor of Tamara passing her medical boards!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume January 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, will resume January 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume January 29. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, will resume January 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume January 30.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume January 26.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume January 27.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Lauren Mervis Praff & Yoni Praff and Enid & Dr. Robert Gross.
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'Dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, January 19, at 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Eva & Isaac Moses and family. For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is on vacation through Thursday, January 24. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter (including finances) can call the Shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Berman PTO Presents: "Anxiety in Children & Adolescents: What to Do and How to Help" – with Dr. Christina Brooks of the Center for Anxiety & Behavioral Change. Wednesday, January 30, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM, Berman Hebrew Academy, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD 20853. See flyer for more details.
An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through, Torah, Tefillah, and Song! Shabbos Parshas Mishpatim, February 1-2 at YISE. See the flyer for more information and for sponsorship opportunities. To make reservations, call Simi Franco at 301-593-4465×403 or 301-346-8752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Save the Date! Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 19, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM
Communal Response to Trauma – Sunday, January 20, 10:30 AM with Rabbi Simkha Weintraub, LCSW, at the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, 6101 Executive Blvd., #200, North Bethesda, MD 20852.
Chevra Kadisha Tahara Training – The Chevra Kadisha training by Rabbi Zohn scheduled for Sunday, January 20, has been cancelled due to the anticipated weather. The training session will be rescheduled.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Rd. Tuesday, January 22, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Shlomo Goldberger from the Baltimore Shidduch Center.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 23, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Free Job Search Webinar:
* USAJOBS – Creating a Profile to Get You Noticed, Sunday, January 27, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM.
For more information and to register, please visit www.FederalJobResults.com/events
2019 Ari Zymelman Parenting Conversation – "Overcoming Childhood Anxiety: A Family Approach to Taming the Worries" – presented by Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School of the Nation's Capital, featuring Dr. Dan Shapiro, Tuesday, January 29, Kay and Robert Schattner Center North Campus, 6045 16th Street, NW. RSVP at www.miltongottesman.org or call (202) 882-4747
Yad Yehuda Breakfast – Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington serves our community through Tomchei Shabbos, Capital Kosher Pantry, and
Emergency Financial Relief. Show your support at the Yad Yehuda Breakfast on February 3, 9:30 AM, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. For more details, go to www.yadyehuda.org/brunch.html
Preparing for Adar Rishon – Video presentation for women by Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi, Sunday February 3, 8:15 PM in Ohr HaTorah social hall. Cost is $8 per person.
Chevra Kadisha Zayin Adar Dinner – It has become the custom of Chevrai Kadisha worldwide to mark the Yahrzeit of Moshe Rabbeinu by gathering for a festive community meal. The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to a dinner in recognition of the work of the Chevra. Monday, February 11, 7:00 PM at YISE. For more information and to make reservations, please visit: www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar-dinner.html
An Evening to Benefit Bonei Olam of Greater Washington – Sunday, February 24, 7:00 PM, at the home of Dr. Aviva & Mr. Meir Kramer, 701 Yeatman Parkway, Silver Spring, MD. Featured speaker: Dr. Michael Levy, co-founder, Shady Grove Fertility. Video message: Rabbi Shlomo Bochner, founder, Bonei Olam. Hear a personal account of one woman's struggle and subsequent miracle, "Journey of Challenge + Joy". All proceeds to benefit couples in the greater Washington area. Light refreshments, Chinese appetizers and desserts. No cost to attend. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
IZUN provides financial education and decision-making support – IZUN's trained confidential counselors help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances. Email us at email@example.com, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs donations of kosher food items to fill its shelves. To make it simple to donate, we have set up online "Wish Lists" at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com. Much like a wedding registry, our Wish Lists are regularly updated to help the community choose and donate the items that the pantry currently needs. Items are shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry, usually with no shipping fee. Feel free to take advantage of any online sales you may find on relevant pantry items, but please verify that they have reliable kosher supervision. For links to the Pantry Wish Lists, please visit www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist Please support this important community resource and pass this information to your friends and family! For more information about the Capital Kosher Pantry, visit www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry Thanks so much for your ongoing support!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Support Group for Women Who Are Caregivers – The Golden Network is forming a new support group for women who are caregivers. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group, please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 / or firstname.lastname@example.org, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com or Mrs. Esther Dziadek firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 20 Monday, Jan. 21 – Tu B'Shevat Tuesday January 22 Wednesday January 23 Thursday January 24 Friday January 25
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Mincha / Maariv
Ashkenazi 5:05 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
January 25 – 26, 2019 – 20 Shevat 5779
Light Candles by 5:02 – Havdalah 6:05
* Light Candles by 5:02
Ashkenazi: 5:05 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:05
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 19 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 20 Clothing Drive, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, KMS
Shabbos, January 26 Bar Mitzvah of Betzalel Broth, 8:45 Main Minyan
Shabbos, February 1-2 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 23 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager