Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 5 – 6, 2018 – 27 Tishrei 5779 – Parshas Bereshis – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:26 – Havdalah 7:23
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Simin & Hillel Askarinam on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yoni. Mazal Tov to Yoni's siblings, Daniel, Issac, Benjamin and Rebecca.
* Ellen & Larry Korb on the birth of a grandson, Yonatan Gavriel, born to their children Naomi & Hadar Weiss of Manhattan.
* Jordana Well and Ranan Well on the happy occasion of Haley Jennifer's Bat Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to grandparents Helene & Mel Z"L Zeltser and Vivian & Rabbi Harvey Well and the extended Zeltser and Well families.
* Light Candles by 6:26
Ashkenazi: 6:30 Sephardi: 6:25 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The Sephardi Minyan will take place in the Large Social Hall.
The 8:00 Minyan will take place in the Large Beis Medrash.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:25 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
* Shabbos Ends: 7:23
* Sephardi, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan and Sephardi Minyan – Simin & Hillel Askarinam in honor of Yoni's Bar Mitzvah and the Zeltser family in honor of Haley Jennifer's Bat Mitzvah.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will resume October 14.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis – (begins October 15)
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Sukkah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Thank you to the following people for erective the new YISE Sukkah: Yosef and Mark Livingston; Ana, Bala and Avi Kotek; Sammy Franco; and Stuart Cohen.
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Esty & Nachum Ungar
Panel Discussion on Jewish Genetic Cancer Risks – Sunday, October 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon in the YISE Small Social Hall. 1 in 40 Ashkenazi Jews carry a genetic mutation (BRCA 1 or 2) that makes them especially likely to develop breast/ovarian/prostate cancers. Today, there are more ways than ever for BRCA carriers to prevent these cancers or minimize their impact, especially if they get screened in early adulthood. Get the facts and hear a panel discussion on medical and halachic issues, presented by Bikur Cholim: Rabbi Rosenbaum; a genetics counselor; a family member of a BRCA survivor; and a breast cancer survivor. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, October 21, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Division, 1216 Arcola Ave. Middle Eastern Style & American Style food. $10 per Adult, $5 per Child (ages 2 – 8), Family Max. $45. Please consider sponsoring – Ketchup $250, Mustard $180, Relish $100. RSVP and pay in advance at www.yise.org/bbq For more information or to volunteer, please email email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available, we would appreciate if you could help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of Gerald Charnoff. The funeral took place on Friday (Chol Hamoed).
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 6, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:30 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Free 50+ Expo: Sunday, October 14, from noon to 4:00 PM, featuring more than 75 government, nonprofit & business exhibitors, health screenings (blood pressure, balance, bone density, glaucoma), flu shots (free with Medicare card), entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. The Expo will take place at the Silver Spring Civic Center, One Veteran's Plaza, in downtown Silver Spring. For more info. or to volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk – 6-week parent workshop with Judy Rosenthal starts Sunday, October 14. $100/person, $120/couple, all books included. For registration or questions, email JudyRosenthal@verizon.net or call 301-754-0470.
Mikvah Emunah Society Annual Dinner – Tuesday, October 16, 6:30 PM, at KMS, honoring Dr. Howard Schulman and Naomi Baum. Make reservations and place journal ads at www.mikvahemunah.com by October 5.
BCGW 2018 Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 28 at 10:00AM at Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac. Honoring star volunteers: Eve Farber, Rabbi Barry Greengart, Sylvia Goldberg and Dr. Nancy Weisman. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org or call 202-331-4481.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents "What Really Happened and What Does it Mean to ME? Understanding Stories of the Chumash through the Eyes of the Mefarshim and Comprehending the Message of the Midrashim" This class will involve both text-based learning and discussion. A weekly Shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak.For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday October 7 Monday October 8 Tuesday, Oct. 9 Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, Oct. 10 Rosh Chodesh Thursday October 11 Friday October 12
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 6:25 6:25 6:25 6:25 6:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:24 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:02 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:26 PM
October 12 – 13, 2018 – 4 Cheshvan 5779
Light Candles by 6:15 – Havdalah 7:13
* Light Candles by 6:15
Ashkenazi: 6:15 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:15
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:10 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:13
Shabbos, October 6 Bar Mitzvah of Yoni Askarinam
Shabbos, October 6 Bat Mitzvah of Haley Jennifer Well
Saturday, October 20 Board Game Café, 8:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, October 21 Jewish Genetic Cancer Risks, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, October 21 Annual BBQ, 3:00 PM, YGW Boys Division
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 10 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager