Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 28-29, 2016 – 27 Tishrei 5777 – Parshas Bereshis – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:53 – Havdalah 6:51
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by a supporter in honor of Craig Simon for his excellent job as Gabbai over last Shabbos and Yom Tov. Yasher Koach!
* Florence Avigan on the birth of great-grandson, Aiden Jacob, to her grandchildren Rachel & Avi Binstock of Atlanta. Mazal Tov also to great aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and to all the Mishpocha.
* Laurie & Fred Glogower on the birth of a granddaughter, born to Becky & David Chazen of Givat Shmuel, Israel. Mazal Tov to the great-grandmother Janet Glogower.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the engagement of their grandson Chezky, son of Miriam & Simmy Guttman of Milwaukee, to Devorah Shapiro of Queens.
* Masha Katz on the passing of her father, Isaac Silberberg. The funeral took place on Thursday, October 20 in Florida. Shiva will be observed at her home, 7 Fulham Court, through Monday morning, October 31.
* Barbara Price on the passing her brother, Steven Billauer. The funeral took place on Thursday in New York with burial in Israel on Friday. Shiva will be observed in Israel through Thursday morning.
* Art Sapper on the passing of his mother, Margaret Sapper. The funeral was held on Sunday before Sukkos. Shiva was completed before Sukkos.
* Light Candles by 5:53
Arcola: 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:51
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE and "friends" in appreciation of and with gratitude to our Executive Director, Maurie Rosenberg. Tzaischem L'Shalom to Susan & Maurie as they depart from our community.
* 9:15 Minyan – Fran & Alan Broder in honor of their granddaughter Serena's first birthday.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Lower Lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* NEW SHIUR STARTING NOVEMBER 1: Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women Of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will not meet this week.
YISE Programs and Listings
* To Yosef of Services Squad, Yitz Stokes and Jesse Kahane for their hard work in setting up and taking down the Nusach Sefard High Holiday minyan in the University Towers party room.Yasher Koach to them.
* To the following people for building the Shul's Sukkah: Avi Kotek with Anna and Bayla; Mark Livingston; Eli Landy; Sammy Franco; and Stuart Cohen.
* To Todd Friedman for coordinating the Succos hospitality effort.
The Limits of Forgiveness – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics Lecture with Rabbi Moshe Walter. Sunday, October 30, 9:30 AM at YISE.
YISE Social Committee presents: Trivia Night 2016 – Motzei Shabbos, November 5. Doors open: 8:45 PM, Trivia starts: 9:00 PM. Snacks, prizes and fun! $5 per person before October 31
$8 after October 31 and at the door. $54 to sponsor, includes 2 tickets. YISE Social Hall. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 7 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Kristallnacht Program – Please join the Holocaust Committee of KMS and YISE for a special commemoration of Kristallnacht on Wednesday, November 9, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, with selections from the award–winning documentary film Killing Kasztner in KMS Youth Beit Midrash. Manny Mandel, who was saved on the Kasztner train, will lead a discussion after the film. The program is dedicated by Allen Mansfield in memory of his father Aaron Mansfield and all the other prisoners of Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
Tech Cafe at YISE – Sunday, November 13, 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM. FREE! Register at: www.yise.org/techcafe For Seniors: Learn from local teens how to use technology, including smartphones, iPad, tablet, Facebook, email, and more. Bring your charged device and charger with you. For Teens: Volunteer for Tech Cafe. Free Pizza lunch for our Teen Techsperts! Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS in conjunction with Tech Cafe. Community Service Hours available. Questions? Contact Miriam Friedman, YISE/KMS – firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Relkin Winkler, Tech Cafe, email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
A (K)night of Chess and Checkers! Children of all ages are invited to a kings battle on the chess and checkers boards. Adults can play too if they would like. Motzei Shabbos, November 12, 6:45 PM – 8:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your own boards. The event is free. Pizza and bottled water will be available for purchase. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to our generous Simchas Torah Kiddush Sponsors
Esther & Dr. Alan Baldinger, Leor & Avi Baldinger, Leah & Yoni Bresler, Fran & Alan Broder, Bernice & Eddie Cohen, Dr. Laurie & Dr. Stuart Cohen, Dr. Rebecca & Mr. Ari Elias-Bachrach, Aviva & Morris Fischer, Allan & Karen Franco, Simi & Sammy Franco, Raphael Ginsburg, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg, Anita & Elliot Goodman, Bayla & Dr. Jeremy Goodman, Jennifer & Seth Green, Tsipi & Dr. Jerry Hawk, Shari & Rabbi Scott Hillman, Margaret & Michael Hourwitz, Nancy & Bruce James, Danit & Dr. Ari Kanal, Howard Katz, Aliza & Manasseh Katz, Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz, Chava & David Katzoff, Ellen & Larry Korb, Aliza & Russell Kwiat, Carol & Tuvia Lazar, Elaine & Robert Leichter, Susan & Bob Levi, Marilyn & Judah Lifschitz, Judy & Moshe Mehlman, Bobbi & Jules Meisler, Melissa & Chad Miller, Rivkah & Yehiel Mizrahi, Dr. Eva & Mr. Isaac Moses, Dr. Caroline & Mr. Eric Namrow, Moshe Nissan, Lee & Craig Oppenheim, Chani & Jay Parness, Barbara Price, Dr. Rachel & Mr. Michael Ravin, Sarah & Steven Reiss, Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom, Judy & Stuart Rosenthal, Debi & Max Rudmann, Karen & Dr. Howard Schulman, Gloria & Arnold Sherman,Sharon & Michael Shimoff, Miri & Dror Shoshani, Rachelli & Craig Simon, Adina & Dr. Joel Sklar, Lisa & Matt Solomson, Phyllis, George & Avi Teitelbaum, Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag, Miriam & Yekhiel Weill, Harriette & Richard Weinstein, Dr. Aliza Fink & Dr. Michael Zatman
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda (Note new topic), learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parshas Hashavua in Depth – New Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, YGW. Thursday evenings after the 10:00 PM Maariv at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 29, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 4:00 PM (Please note new time).
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 2, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Tapping the Spiritual Richness and Avodah of Each Month in the Jewish Year – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is excited to present Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's new weekly Shiur for women and post seminary girls at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Dr. The first class will be Monday, November 7. For More information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Gala – Honoring Fran Kritz (Founder's Award) and Judy & Jerry Frank (Community Service Award) will take place on Sunday, November 20 at B'nai Israel Congregation, 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM. Reserve online at www.bikurcholimgw.org For more information contact 202 331-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA's Career Gateway starts November 7. For info, contact Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
* Free webinars for job seekers:
* Pet Peeves of a Former Recruiter http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118774
* Application Confessions of a Former Recruiter http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118648
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington (formerly The Yehuda Mond Foundation) provides food assistance to a growing number of families in the Greater Washington area. Through an extensive program of food scrip, the Capital Kosher Pantry, and emergency financial help, it presently assists over 500 families and individuals in our communities. The Foundation absorbs all administrative costs, so your tax-deductible donations go farther. For information about (1) Yad Yehuda's Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington program, visit http://www.tomcheishabbosgw.org (2) The Capital Kosher Pantry, an authorized distributor for the Capital Area Food Bank and the only kosher pantry in the Greater Washington Area, go to http://www.capitalkosherpantry.org (3) The Simcha Food Gemach, which distributes donations of surplus food from events catered under the Vaad HaRabanim, call 301-613-3351 for drop off instructions. If you need assistance or know someone who could use it, for Tomchei Shabbos, please call Rabbi Moshe Arzouan at 301-905-2937. For the Food Gemach, please call Shonny Leiman at 240-274-7652.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 30 Monday, October 31 Tuesday, Nov. 1 – Rosh Chodesh Wed., Nov. 2 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, November 3 Friday, November 4
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45 5:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:47 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:12 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
November 4-5, 2015 – 4 Cheshvan 5777
Light Candles by 5:45 – Havdalah 6:44
* Light Candles by 5:45
Arcola: 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:44
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
Sunday, October 30 The Limits of Forgiveness, 9:30 AM
Wednesday, November 2 Senior Lunch, 12:00 noon, Arcola Social Hall
Saturday, November 5 Social Committee Trivia Night, 8:45 PM, Reservations required
Wednesday, November 9 Kristallnacht Program, 7:00 PM, at KMS
Sunday, November 13 Tech Cafe, 12:00 noon
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 2 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director