Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 13 – 14, 2023 – 29 Tishrei 5784 – Parashas Bereshis/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:14 – Havdalah 7:12
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Esther Edeson, Simi & Sammy Franco, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg and Barbara Price in honor of Nancy James' birthday this past week.
YISE Supports Israel
Our thoughts and prayers are focused on Israel. Please see the back of this sheet for various things you can do to support Israel.
B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Mincha: 6:15 (B), 6:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:10 (B), 6:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:12
* 8:45 Main Minyan (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan (S) Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur (SBM) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Kedushas Levi Chabura – 8:55 (S) Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha – 5:25 (B) Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur between Mincha and Maariv (B) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Rabbi Dovid & Atara Rosenbaum in honor of Gedaliah's Bar Mitzvah.
* Arlette Jacobson and Ken & Cheryl Jacobson on the engagement of their daughter Michal to Natan Gulbakov of Manhattan, NY.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Yael Rivka. Proud parents are Ruth & Barry Rosenblum of Los Angeles. Mazal Tov to all of the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Rebbetzin Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Gedaliah. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum and Emil Braun and to siblings Yosef, Moshe, Rachel and Miriam.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, 9:15 in The House, will not take place this Shabbos, October 14. Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, October 14, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends.
* Toddler Group (under 3 with a parent) – in the Toddler Room in the Lower Lobby.
* Kinder Group (3 to 5) – upstairs in the room behind the balcony
* Boys ages 6 – 9, Girls ages 6 – 9 and 5th – 6th grade girls – meet in the Lower Lobby and walk to the Yeshiva.
* Jr. Congregation for 4th to 6th grade boys – in The House, will not take place this Shabbos, October 14.
* Parshas Noach Cupcake Decorating – Thursday, October 19, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YISE. See flyer for details.
For more information, contact Sharon Shimoff at email@example.com
* Lunch and Learn on Wednesday, October 18, 11:45 AM – 1:00 PM at YISE with Rabbi Michoel Frank, Kehillas Ohr Hatorah. Musical presentation by Dr. Stuart Goldman. RSVP by October 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org or301-732-1773. Donations appreciated. See flyer for details.
* New Member Meat & Greet BBQ – Due to the current situation in Israel, YISE's Meat and Greet BBQ, scheduled for Sunday, October 22, is being postponed.
* YISE Logo Contest – Calling all graphic designers! YISE is looking for a logo to celebrate 75 years of YISE, 1951 – 2026, and 50 years in the Arcola building, 1974 – 2024. Send entries to email@example.com See flyer for details.
* New Welcoming Committee! If you would like to welcome a new person or family to your Shabbos table and the YISE community, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "happy to welcome" and we will contact you for details.
* Mazal Tov on the Birth of Your Son or Daughter! YISE can help organize meals. Contact Miriam Levson at 901-481- 7133 or email@example.com or Rose Blynn at 410- 522-8624 or firstname.lastname@example.org Send details to email@example.com
* Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary! Want to celebrate a Birthday or Anniversary? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
* Seeking Shalosh Seudos Sponsors for the next few months. Sponsorships start at $375. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com or Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Ethan Cohen to volunteer to set up and clean up.
* Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
* Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoingmedical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account,or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
* Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
YISE Supports Israel
* Recording of the communal Atzeres Tefillah with Rabbi Lopiansky on Monday night is at: www.vaadgw.org/communal-atzeres-tefillah-forisrael-20231009
* Daily Chizuk – Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead a daily 15-minute Zoom of Tehillim recital and study of the Sefer Ahavas Chesed Sunday through Friday at 12:30 PM on Zoom A.
* Tehillim at Daily Minyan – 121 and 130 following Shacharis, 20 following Mincha.
* Tehillim for Israel WhatsApp – Join at: chat.whatsapp.com/GdkM5n3uJx44h8xFbwBEl0
* Cards and Pictures for Israeli Soldiers – Sunday, October 15, 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM. See flyer for details.
* Financial Support – A list of charitableorganizations is available at: www.yise.org/israel-2023-10-11-small.pdf
* Our Local Soldiers – Send Hebrew name andmother's Hebrew name of relatives serving in the IDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Political Action – Agudah information at: https://agudah.org/action-alert-israel-at-war/
* Local Law Enforcement – Our security team is working with the Montgomery County Police Dept. and Secure Community Network. MCPD has increased patrols. Please greet and thank the officers for their efforts to protect the community.
* Prayer and Mitzvos – As we engage our efforts through tzedakah and political action, let us also beseech Hashem daily to bring safety to the citizens of Israel, success to its military, and clarity to its leadership.
Thank you to the Shabbos Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiurand by Ina Klinger, mother of Elaine Rubin.
8:45 Minyan Drasha – Fay Kasser to commemorate the Yahrzeit of her mother, Regina Mincer, Rivka Tzivia bas Pinchas, Z"L.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email email@example.com for details. Thank you for your support.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October. 15 – Rosh Chodesh
Monday, October 16 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:04 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:31 AM, Latest Netz: 7:24 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:05 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:24 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:21 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 7:10 PM
October 20 – 21, 2023 – 6 Marcheshvan 5784
Light Candles by 6:04 – Havdalah 7:02
* Mincha: 6:05 (B), 5:55 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:00 (B), 5:55 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:02
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:
Wednesday, October 18, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Assistant Rabbi
Josh Seidemann – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
Josh Breitstein – Facility Manager
Weekday and Community Announcements
Upcoming Community Programs & Listings
Annual 50+Expo coming up this Sunday, October 15, 12 Noon to 4:00 PM at Springfield Town Center and next Sunday, October 22, 12 Noon to 4:00 PM at Silver Spring Civic Building. Free health screenings, flu/Covid/RSV/Shingrix and other vaccines, informative exhibits, volunteer opportunities, entertainment and more. All free, including free parking. For more information, go to www.Beacon50expo.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 18, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, on Zoom. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Zoom Meeting ID: 986 546 841, Passcode: 3671
Four Kabbalistic Secrets for Enduring Relationships in a Modern World – Join the Mikvah Emunah Society as we welcome renowned speaker Rivka Slonim to speak to the women of our community on Wednesday, October 18, at 8:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring. This event is part of the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund and is free to attend, but RSVPs are required and sponsorships are welcomed. For more details, visit https://mikvahemunah.com and click on "Events". Questions? Email email@example.com
Dirshu – Join Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring, now studying Maseches Bava Basra, at YGW. Daily morning shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusas also available during these times. For more info. and to join our program, contact Hirsh Komarow 301-633-6262 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Landy Memorial Fund – Lisa devoted the better part of the last three decades teaching pre-schoolers in Jewish schools in the Washington, DC area. Lisa was a staunch advocate of the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which encourages students to direct their own learning and fosters their independent thinking and self-confidence. The Lisa Landy Memorial Fund was established to train teachers in local Jewish schools in the Reggio method. To make a taxdeductibledonation or for more information, contact Eli Landy at 301-401-9475 or email@example.com
Recurring Community Programs & Listings
Join the Buddy Network – Do you live alone and want a buddy? Do you want to volunteer to be a buddy? Have a buddy check in during extreme weather or power outages. Make sure you have the basic necessities when you can't get out. Register at https://goldennetwork.org/buddynetwork For more info. call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 10:00 AM at the home of
Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email email@example.com or call 773-219-5397. Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets at the YGW Boys' Campus. Weekdays also online via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 8:45 PM. Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, October 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday throughFriday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – Tehillim recital followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Sefer Ahavas Chesed as a merit for Israel. Sunday through Friday, 12:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Sefer Iyov, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Special time this Sunday, October 15, Rosh Chodesh Marcheshvan – 9:50 AM breakfast, 10:05 AM Shiurim: See flyer for details.
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women: Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter. New day, new topic: Visions of the Prophets, Lessons and Insights from the Weekly Haftorah – Zoom D
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Register at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com New semester begins Tuesday, October 24. See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday 7:35 AM – 8:22 AM, Monday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM,studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "Profits from the Prophets", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the third Perek of Maseches Bava Basrah, Wednesday evenings at 8:30 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, password 161699
Thank you to the Weekday Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur – Debbie Rogal so that the learning should be in the merit of those in Israel in need of comfort, Refuah, or release from captivity, as well as all in the IDF or otherwise in harm's way. May Hashem bring a speedy end to this situation.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.