Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 9-10, 2014 – 10 Iyar 5774 – Parshas Behar
Light Candles by 7:50 (and not before 6:41) – Havdalah 8:55
* Light Candles by 7:50, and not before 6:41
* Mincha 6:30 (Social Hall), 6:50, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:50
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 (Sephardi), 7:45 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:55
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Perry Tirschwell
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – Warren Goldman in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his mother, Florence Goldman, Tzipora Bas Yosef Dovid.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Sheila & Allen Gaisin on the recent birth of a grandson, Moshe Noam, born to their children Deborah & Daniel Gaisin of New York City. Also Mazal Tov to his siblings, Aliza and Akiva. Mazal Tov to Aunt Shera & Uncle Reuven Gaisin and to the entire family.
* Sheila & Allen Gaisin on the engagement of their son Shlomo to Aniam Dery of Jerusalem, daughter of Yanna Dery and Shlomo Dery.
* Judy & David Marwick on the birth of a granddaughter, born to Dr. Miriam & Rabbi Binyamin Marwick of Baltimore.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. PLEASE NOTE THE NEW SUBJECT.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Bais Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Beginning the topic "Employment of Gentiles on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, following Mincha / Maariv.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Perry Tirschwell, Executive Director of the National Council of Young Israel. Rabbi Tirschwell will speak after the 8:00 Minyan and after the 8:45 Main Minyan.
YISE Together-for-5 – Will restart on Monday, May 12, with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Thoughts on Shavuos." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Sefirah Session continues on Tuesdays, at 8:00 PM; Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv follows at 9:00 PM.
Sefirah Session Shiurim:
* Developing your "Gemara Kop" – R' Nachum Schwartz – Thinking through Maseches Sukkah
* Halachos of Tefillah – Rabbi Binyamin Silver
* Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Strengthening our Emunah – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* "What's Under the Hood?" – R' Moshe Chaim Blate – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics.
Join us for the Open Bais Medrash or we can help you set up a Chevrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
Jokes and Accidents in Tort Law – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture with Rabbi Rhine, Sunday, May 18, at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Shopping Center wants to thank everyone for being safe and parking in the designated part of the Ben Yehuda lot. They request that you do not park in the spaces directly next to Ben Yehuda (from the flower bed to the light post) so that the center employees will have a place to park. If you find that there are no open spaces in our area, please park behind Ben Yehuda.
Post Pesach Particulars
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2014: All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars Super Market, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie.
Stores in our community: Brookville Market, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, Potomac Wines and Spirits, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz may NOT be purchased from the following stores until Wednesday, May 21: Giant, Safeway, Sniders, Target.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Presents: A Lag B'omer outing at Luray Caverns, Sunday May 18, 10:00 AM. $16/adult, $8/Child (12&Under), 5 & under-Free. Leaving YISE at 8:00 AM. RSVP by May 11. For More information, contact Avi Litwack at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-576-3284.
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register at email@example.com or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walk-ins welcome. For more information, email@example.com or 240-423-8810.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Hakamas HaMatzeiva for Etan Savir will take place on Sunday, May 25 at 10:00 AM at Mount Lebanon Cemetery in Adelphi, MD.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Hilchos Berachos Part 1: A Review – Shiur for Women. Monday, May 12 with Rabbi Eli Reingold. 8:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Join the GWCK for the start of the Spring Semester! Join a class, find a study partner, or bring your chavrusa with you! For a variety of learning opportunities, check out the programs page at www.gwckollel.org to find the complete Kollel schedule.
Lag B'Omer Carnival – Hosted by the YGW Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Division Juniors, Sunday May 18, 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM, at the YGW Girls Campus. Food, games, prizes, and music. BBQ, moon bounces, game booths, live music, and more! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Get a Free Haircut and Do a Mitzvah All at Once!!! Zichron Menachem Annual Hair Raising Event is back! Show you care by donating 10 inches of hair! May 18 – Lag B'Omer – In Salon and Day Spa, 13665 Connecticut Avenue in Aspen Hill, appointments from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. June 9 – After Shavuot – Norma's Hair Salon will come to MJBHA, appointments from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. June 10 – After Shavuot – Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, appointments at 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. Private cuttings are available at all locations. To make an appointment please contact Nancy Mehlman at email@example.com
Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Dinner – Please join the Greater Washington NCSY on Monday, May 19 at 7:00 PM, hosted by Janet & Mark Zuckerman in Potomac. For more information and scholarship sponsorship information please visit atsncsy.org or contact Dana@NCSY.org
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn: Branding Yourself for the Job Search – Free workshop, Tuesday, May 13, 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM. Gaithersburg Library, 18330 Montgomery Village Avenue, Gaithersburg. For info, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Job Search Boot Camp – Intense seminar on networking, resumes, and interviewing, Wednesday – Thursday, May 14-15, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org
* LinkedIn for Beginner Users – Free workshop, Wednesday, May 21, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – (1) 10 Steps to A Federal Job. Tuesday, May 13, 12:00 Noon to 12:30 PM. (2) 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, Wednesday, May 14, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. For both, info and register at www.resume-place.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 11 – Mother's Day Monday, May 12 Tuesday, May 13 Wed., May 14, Pesach Sheni Thursday, May 15 Friday, May 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:00 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:29 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 16-17, 2014 – 17 Iyar 5774
Light Candles by 7:57 – Havdalah 9:02
* Light Candles by 7:57, and not before 6:46
* Mincha 6:35 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Arcola, Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 8:00
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 (Sephardi), 7:55 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:02
Shabbos, May 10 Guest Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Perry Tirschwell, Exec. Dir. of NCYI
Monday, May 12 The Man With The Truck,
Arcola Social Hall, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Sunday, May 18 YISE Youth trip to Luray Caverns
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 14, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director