The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 27-28, 2016 – 20 Iyar 5776 – Parshas Behar
Light Candles by 8:06 (and not before 6:53) – Havdalah 9:13
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Harriet & Elliot Jacob in gratitude to YISE for 33 years of wonderful memories.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the engagement of their son, Elazar, to Devora Moore, daughter of Anne & Brian Moore of Los Angeles. Mazal Tov to grandparents Faith & Gil Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, to Uncle Raphael, and to siblings Avi, Naftali and Daniel.
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner on the birth of a grandson, son of their children Tamar & Rabbi Michoel Lerner of Kiryat Sefer. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Zeev, and great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Sharon & Michael Shimoff on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Dovie. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Eli, Noa, and Yonah, his grandparents June & Peter Olster, great-grandfather Larry Berman, and all his aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Judy & David Stern on the birth of a granddaughter, Meira Tova, to Shira & Adam Rosenbaum of Riverdale. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Sue Stern and to uncle Moshe and aunt Abby.
* Harriet & Elliot Jacob who are moving back to Baltimore after 33 years in Kemp Mill.
* Light Candles by 8:06, and not before 6:53
Arcola: 6:35, 7:10, 8:10 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Univesrsity: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:13
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Price Family to commemorate the fourth Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price (Akiva Ben Avraham).
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Shimoff family in honor of Dovie's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:35 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
All Minyanim at University are cancelled this week.
Help make a Minyan! For the past 2+ years volunteers have been successfully helping University make a Minyan as needed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, due to people moving away, etc. we are again looking for additional volunteers to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Shabbos Minyan. The expectation is that you will be called on only about four times a year. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Shomrai Nursery Raffle – Enter our online raffle and win free camp, Uppa Baby stroller, Yehudis Goldfarb Photography, Studio 805 Makeover, and more! Drawing on Sunday, May 29. 1 ticket $10, 5 tickets $35, 10 tickets $50. Visit www.yise.org/raffle
YISE Shomrai Nursery Lag B'Omer Carnival! Sunday, May 29, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, at YISE Shomrai Nursery. $5 per child, $15 family max. Moonbounce, crafts, games, raffle, and more!
Tefilah: Your Personal Stairway to Heaven – This class, taught by Sharon Freundel, and based on Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs, will enhance your path toward Hashem through deeper knowledge of prayer and human psychology. Tuesdays, May 31 and June 7, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM, Small Social Hall. Open to men and women. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Are Two Sets of Luchos Better Than One? Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Pre-Shavuos Shiur by Rav Lopiansky. Tuesday, May 31. Mincha at 8:00 in the small Social Hall (immediately following Mrs. Freundel's Shiur.) Rav Lopiansky will begin the Shiur following Mincha at 8:15 PM. Maariv to follow the Shiur.
Graduation Kiddush – Want to wish a Mazal Tov and make a donation in honor of that special graduate in your life? To honor your graduate at a Kiddush on Shabbos, June 4, send a donation of $18 along with your child's name, grade and school from which they he / she has graduated. We will place a list on the tables of the Kiddush. Please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403 by June 1.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, June 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM, 1111 University Blvd. W., Apt. 215. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Fight the Bite: How can you reduce the threat of the Zika virus from mosquitoes? Dr. Joseph Sklar, infectious disease specialist, and Dr. Richard Broth, a high-risk pregnancy obstetrician, will discuss the risk and the protective measures you can take. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum will introduce the program. Sunday, June 19, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE (Social Hall). Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
Dating survival guide: Practical and productive tips for women in Shidduchim ages 18-24 – A panel led by Rebbetzin Estee Silver. Monday, June 13, the Second day of Shavuos. 5:30 PM, at the home of the Wakschlags, 11604 Monticello Avenue. Questions ahead of time are encouraged. Please send questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Planting Ornamentals Around the Shul – We have received donations to cover the planters, but we need more money for the flower beds against the Shul building. This is part of our effort to plant deer-resistant varieties of flowers and low shrubs around the exterior of the Shul. For donations, make checks payable to YISE and note the purpose is "planting flowers." We hope to add color and enhance the beauty of our facility with a collaborative effort in which we can share further pride of accomplishment. Thank you in advance for your support. Note: for those who like to get their hands dirty, we hope to announce the first round of planting soon. We can give community service credit. Contact Stuart Cohen for details.
Membership Directory – The 2016 YISE Membership Directory will be printed soon. To submit changes to your directory entry, go to www.yise.org/directory or contact email@example.com The deadline for changes is Wednesday, June 15.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will next meet on June 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays following Mincha/Maariv in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, May 28, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 4:00 PM.
The Law is the Law: The Parameters of Dina D'Malchusa – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Memorial Day, Monday, May 30. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM – Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW – Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Shiur 9:45 AM – 10:15 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Sulam Annual Gala and Silent Auction – Sulam invites you to an extraordinary evening to support the Sulam Scholarship Fund. Tuesday, May 31, at the Bethesda N. Marriott. RSVP or place an ad online www.sulam.org/gala Contact Ahuva Orlofsky, orlofskya@ mjbha.org, with any questions.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, June 1, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Stretching Ourselves to Become Great – A special Shiur for women with Rebbetzin Holly Pavlov, Shearim College of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem. Wednesday, June 1, 8:00 PM, at the home of Hannah & Mitch Carl, 11916 Viewcrest Terrace.
Jewish Business Ethics: Exploring the Laws of the Jewish Workplace – Presented by GWCK in partnership with Aish of Greater Washington. This men's programming series will elucidate five separate relevant workplace topics, Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, through June 8 at Aish, 11418 Old Georgetown Road. No cost. Please register at AishDC.com For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Human Mind and Consciousness – Community Science Lecture Series, "Ma Rabu Ma'asecha…Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations" Lecture Series concludes with lecture by Dr. Joseph Cohn. Torah insights from Rabbi Chaim Biberfeld. The community is invited to join us for this last of the season's thought-provoking lectures. Sunday, June 5, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Breast Cancer Awareness Program – Sunday, June 5 at 7:30 PM in a private home in Kemp Mill. Over 95% of women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer survive and thrive. Join BCGW for an eye opening discussion about your real risk factors and screening options for breast cancer. Featuring Dr. Rachel Brem and Andrea Wolf. Contact BCGW for program location and more information: 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
DNA Evidence in Jewish Law – Join Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman and GWCK for a Lunch and Learn lecture. Monday, June 6, at Morgan Lewis & Bockius, 1111 Pennsylvania Avenue, Room 231. Lecture and lunch are free of charge. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Will You Be a Hero? Zichron Menachem Annual Hair-Raising Event offers you the opportunity to get a free haircut and do a Mitzvah at the same time. Tuesday, June 14, after Shavuos: Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville. 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, and 6:30 PM. Make your appointment today by contacting Nancy Mehlman at PTO@mjbha.org For more information on Zichron Menachem, visit www.zichron.org
Berman Hebrew Academy 72nd Anniversary Dinner and Casino Night – Thursday, June 16, 6:45 PM, at BHA. Blackjack, Craps, Texas Hold 'Em, and Roulette. Sponsorships and RSVP on-line at www.mjbha.org/events Take a chance – join us and support Berman.
10th Anniversary Yitzhak Rabin Memorial Lecture – Presented by JPDS of the Nation's Capital, featuring U.S. Ambassador to Israel Daniel Shapiro. Monday, June 20 at 7:30 PM, at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue. Purchase tickets at jpds.org/rabin
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Post Pesach Pointers – YISE and Beyond
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2016:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: B.J.'s, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars, Petco, PetSmart, Royal Farms, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: Aldi's, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz MAY NOT be purchased from Snider's until Sunday, May 29.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until Sunday, May 29.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 29 Monday, May 30 – Memorial Day Tuesday, May 31 Wednesday, June 1 Thursday, June 2 Friday, June 3
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:42 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
June 3-4, 2016 – 27 Iyar 5776
Parshas Bechukosai – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:11 – Havdalah 9:19
* Light Candles by 8:11, and not before 6:57
Arcola: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:19
Shabbos, May 28 Bar Mitzvah of Dovie Shimoff
Sunday, May 29 YISE Shomrai Nursery Lag B'Omer
Carnival! 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Wednesday, June 1 Senior Lunch, "What Voters Need to Know" Speaker: Maryland Board of Elections
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 1 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director