Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 19-20, 2017 – 24 Iyar 5777 – Parshas Behar / Bechukosai – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:00 (and not before 6:48) – Havdalah 9:06
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Jen & Seth Green and the entire family on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Eitan. Mazal Tov to his siblings Evan, Oran, Aviva and Ayala.
* Adina & Joshua Karpoff on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to big sister Eliana, and to grandparents Ann & Harold Kahana, of Silver Spring, and Susan & Michael Karpoff, of Highland Park, NJ, and to the rest of the family. The Bris is scheduled for Tuesday, May 23, at 8:00 AM in the University Towers G-Level Party Room (1121 University Blvd. West).
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan and family on the birth of a granddaughter, Chaya Elka, to Deena & Moshe Lowinger of Passaic, NJ.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan and Shana (Kasdan) & Hirschel Wohl, and their families, on Hirschel's graduation from Howard University College of Dentistry.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the enngagement of their son, Efraim, to Alana Gutman, son of Chava & Rabbi Mark Gutman from Chicago. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sheva Wakschlag and Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern, and Efraim's siblings, Naomi & Matt Lubin, Adina and Ahuva.
* Light Candles by 8:00, and not before 6:48
Arcola: 6:35, 7:00, 8:00 University: 7:00 ephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: N/A ephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will merge with the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 University: N/A ephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:06
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Jen & Seth Green in honor of their son Eitan's ar Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence,
Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on June 7.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Megillas Rus. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Makkos, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – Former "Prisoner for Zion." Author, Unbroken Spirit: A Heroic Story Of Faith, Courage and Survival. (Rescheduled from February due to winter weather.)
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00 AM): Keeping Shabbos and Mitzvos Against All Odds – Kiddush follows.
* One hour before Mincha (6:55 PM): Confessions of a Jewish Hijacker
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Tasting and Embracing Freedom: From Prisoner for Zion to Citizen of Zion
Escape Your Own Personal Prison Through Prayer – Sunday, May 21, 10:30 AM, former Soviet refusenik Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich (our upcoming Scholar-in-Residence) will speak in the Belonofsky Sanctuary about how prayer/Tefilah can help us overcome our spiritual roadblocks and escape our personal prisons. Following his remarks, the Rabbi will autograph copies of his autobiography, Unbroken Spirit, and will meet privately with individuals. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Minyan Changes on Sunday Evening – The Sephardi Mincha will Daven in the Small Beis Medrash and the Ashkenzi Mincha will Daven in the Large Beis Medrash, to accommodate the Banquet.
New Mincha Minyan – YISE is proud to offer a number of learning opportunities with the GWCK, at 8:00 PM Monday through Thursday. To facilitate the schedule of these programs, a 7:45 Mincha Minyan will take place in the Small Beis Medrash.
YISE Annual Meeting and Election of Officers and Trustees of the Board will take place on Tuesday, May 23 at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
Six Thoughts of Rabbi Akiva for Shavuos and Life – Pre-Shavuos BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Eli Reingold at YISE. Tuesday, May 23, Mincha 7:45 PM / Shiur 8:00 PM /Maariv to follow. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kabalas Hatorah: The Benefits of Being Commanded – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, May 28, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, June 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, May 21, 6:00 PM
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
Youth Honorees: Miriam Hillman, Leora Landy, Yehoshua Mehlman, Yael Miller, Penina Rubin
A Night Out in Venice
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:40 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. NOTE EXTENDED TIME FOR SCHOLAR-IN-RESIDENCE.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
Annual Lag B'Omer Carnival – Sunday, May 21, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Shomrai Nursery. Please park at the rear of the church lot. There will be crafts, water slide, refreshments and STREAM activities in the social hall! We look forward to seeing you there.
Annual YISE Shomrai Nursery Raffle – Great prizes including free camp, Uppa Baby stroller, Yehudis Goldfarb Photography and More!! Enter online at www.yise.org/raffle
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 20 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
The Unique Message of Each Chumash and its Lesson for Shavuos – Pre-Shavuos Shiur for women by Rabbi Reingold this Shabbos, May 20, 5:30 PM – 6:15 PM at Meera & Stephan Miller's home, 1015 Arcola Avenue.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Chabad of Silver Spring invites the entire community to hear a lecture each Shabbos between Pesach and Shavuos from a different Kemp Mill Rabbi, from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Chabad. This Shabbos the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Michoel Frank, Ohr HaTorah.
New Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join the over 100 daily listeners, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting ready for Shavuos and Matan Torah – Rabbanit Yemima Mizrahi Shiur broadcast for women. Two showings: 1. SSJC, Monday, May 22 at 8:30 PM; 2. The home of Mrs. Sima Jacoby, 1203 Ballard Street, Wednesday, May 24 at 8:30 PM. Cost $10.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 24, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Berman Hebrew Academy 73rd Anniversary Celebration, Yom Yerushalayim Dinner and Interactive Experience – Wednesday, May 24, 7:15 PM. Honoring Drs. Josh and Lisi Levisohn. RSVP at www.mjbha.org/events
The Cost of Medicine: A Halachic View – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Memorial Day, Monday, May 29. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM – Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Shiur 10:00 AM, at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington Breakfast – Sunday, June 4, at YISE, at 9:30 AM. To reserve a seat or to learn more about the Yad Yehuda breakfast, please visit http://yadyehuda.org/breakfast or contact the event committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
American Sign Language Class – Magen David Sephardic Congregation in Rockville is offering a 10-week American Sign Language (ASL) class for $100.00 per person. For information regarding the dates and times and to register, please contact their office at 301-770-6818 or email@example.com
Help Wanted: Preschool Lead Teacher
Shomrai Nursery, is hiring a preschool Lead Teacher for the two year old and three year old classes for the 2017-2018 school year.
Shomrai Nursery provides a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. Our educators offer investigations based on emerging interests and hands on experiences. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development and are looking for educators who are thoughtful about how they support this development, as well as children's development in the other domains; language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical (both fine motor and gross motor) skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content.
We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a bachelors or higher degree in Early Childhood Education, knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students' curiosity and wonder.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Spend Shavuos at Shomrai and Beyond
Learning program starts at midnight. Please stay tuned for detailed information.
YISE Youth Night of Shavuos Learning:
* Finders keepers? Which lost things do we return, which can we keep? 4th-6th grade boys led by Rabbi Rosenbaum, 12:00 midnight -1:00 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Stuck between a rock and a hard place: Moshe's decision to hit the rock instead of talking. 6th-8th grade girls led by Morah Aviva Ginsberg, 10:45 PM – 11:30 PM at the Fanaroff home, 508 Hermleigh Road.
All Night Learning Program for Boys in 5th and 6th Grade – Guided learning by dynamic Rebbeim, food, drink, prizes.Experience the energizing learning of Shavuos night at YGW. Begins 1:15 AM (following Rabbi Rosenbaum's 12:00 Shiur at YISE). More details to follow. Please contact Rabbi Yitzchak Scher with questions at email@example.com
YISE Youth Ice Cream Social – Thursday, June 1, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 21 Monday, May 22 Tuesday, May 23 Wed. May 24 – Yom Yerushalayim Thursday, May 25 Friday, May 26 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:10
Arcola 8:05 7:45 (Mincha), 8:05 7:45 (Mincha), 8:05 7:45 (Mincha), 8:05 7:45 (Mincha), 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:49 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
* Wednesday, May 24 – Yom Yerushalayim – The Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions.
The remainder of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 26-27, 2017 – 2 Sivan 5777
Light Candles by 8:05 – Havdalah 9:12
* Light Candles by 8:05, and not before 6:53
Arcola: 6:40, 7:05, 8:05 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 University: 8:00 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:12
Shabbos, May 20 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich
Shabbos, May 20 Bar Mitzvah of Eitan Green, Sephardi Minyan
Sunday, May 21 Annual Lag B'Omer Carnival, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, at Shomrai Nursery
Sunday, May 21 YISE Annual Banquet, 6:00 PM
Tuesday, May 23 YISE Annual Meeting, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 24 at 12:00 Noon.
PLEASE NOTE: The next Shabbos Shorts will include
Parshas Bamidbar, Shavuos and Parshas Nasso.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager