Parashas Behar/Bechukosai – May 11-12, 2018
Download the May 11-12, 2018 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 11 – 12, 2018 – 27 Iyar 5778 – Parshas Behar/Bechukosai – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:52 – Havdalah 8:57
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Rebbetzin Anemer on the birth of a great-grandson, born to Chani (Weber) & Moshe Goldfeder.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Hadassah Tziona, born to Aviva & Matt Weiser of Israel. Grandparents are Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer of Woodmere, NY.
* Miriam & Jeffrey Zuckerman on the birth of a grandson, born to Lea & Rabbi Yakir Schechter in Merion Station, PA.
* Jacob Edeson Yaakov Shlomo ben Yehudis, who is in Holy Cross Hospital. Visitors are welcome.
* Phyllis Greenblum on the passing of her mother, Roslyn Weisberg. Shiva is being observed at 11608 Monticello Ave. until Sunday morning.
* Light Candles by 7:52, and not before 6:41
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:57
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Debbie & Jeff Weinstein and family in honor of Lily's 10th birthday and the 12th yahrzeit of Hannelore Weinstein, Z"L.
* 9:15 Minyan – Aryeh Lichtman and friends in honor of his move to New York and in gratitude for everything the Kemp Mill community has done for him.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume May 27
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM, will resume in Elul.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:20 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: On the Same Page with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
"Har Sinai: Strengthening the Relationship that Began with the Exodus" – women's shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum, Sunday night, May 13, 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Ave.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, May 16, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Rabbi Marvin Goldman, "Jewish History in the Light of Medieval Manuscripts"
Lost and Found – Items remaining in the lower lobby coat room will be removed on May 23.
Capital Kosher Pantry – Thank you to everyone who contributed to our pre-Pesach campaign! The bins were filled with fantastic food! However, just as our supplies are increasing, so is the need. One of our fastest moving items is cereal. With summer coming up and children home more, there is an even greater need to replenish our stock. Therefore, we've tied this collection to the grains of the Omer and are requesting cereals and granola bars. Of course, we will make good use of other donations. (FYI: Right now, we are overloaded with pasta and Matza). Donation box at YISE in the lower lobby.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Save the date! Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Watch your mailbox for details or go to www.yise.org/banquet
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Ice Cream Social – Monday, May 21, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
Shavuos 5778 at YISE
First Day – Sunday, May 20
Schedule subject to change.
Shiurim in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* 12:00 AM ¡V 12:50 AM – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, "Hilchos Sports" – Betting, Contact Sports, and Religious-wear
* 1:00 AM ¡V 1:50 AM – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, "The Story with the String" – How the Eruv really works
* 2:00 AM ¡V 2:50 AM – Rabbi Silver, "The Group vs. the Individual" – A halachic analysis of what takes precedence when interests conflict
* 3:00 AM ¡V 3:50 AM – Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky, "Do Mitzvos Need to be Expensive?"
* 4:00 AM ¡V 4:50 AM – Rabbi Rosenbaum, "Can They Charge that Much?" – Laws of Onaah
Group Learning in the Social Hall
* 12:00 AM ¡V 1:00 AM – Shiur for boys, grades 4-6 with Rabbi Rosenbaum, "Halachos of Lefties"
* 1:00 AM ¡V 2:30 AM – Rabbi Hillel Shaps, "The Mystery of the Last 8 Verses of the Torah"
* 3:00 AM ¡V 4:30 AM – Rabbi Silver, "Exploring the Vast and Varied Writings of Rabbi Yosef Karo" ¡V the author of the Shulchan Aruch
Sephardi Tikkun Leil Shavuot 12:00 AM ¡V 4:00 AM in the Franco Family Beis Medrash.
Refreshments in the Social Hall throughout the night.
* Earliest Talis 4:50 AM
* Netz 5:51 AM
Ashkenazi: 5:15, 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 8:00 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv: 8:35
* Light Candles after 9:05
(No preparations shall be done before this time)
Second Day – Monday, May 21
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Yizkor at 8:45 Minyan – not before 10:30
* Youth Ice Cream Social – 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM, Social Hall
* Sharon Freundel – Shiur for women on "Acts of Kindness and Selfishness in Megillas Rus"- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Ashkenazi: 8:00 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:06
Help Wanted: Preschool Lead Teacher
Shomrai Preschool is looking for a lead teacher for 2018-2019 who wants to be part of a collaborative team of professionals working together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing, and creative setting. We provide a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development, as well as children's development in language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. Send resumes to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – A new Gemach for boys' suits is being formed. Please text Elite Hutman at 240-779-1032 to arrange to drop off your gently used and clean boys' suits sized infants-20. For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 12, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Ahavas Yisrael as the Key to Kabbalas HaTorah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, KZA of YGW, Women's Shiur this Shabbos May 12, 5:15 PM at Rivkie Manes' home, 606 Sisson Street.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, May 5, Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, KMS. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Yom Tov Trail Hike – Rose Litwack will be leading a family-friendly Yom Tov trail hike to Wheaton Regional Park on the first day of Shavuos, Sunday, May 20. To join, please meet her at the corner of Kemp Mill Road and Monticello Ave. at 3:30 PM.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
Berman Hebrew Academy's 74th Anniversary Celebration honoring Debra Panitch and Bob & Pat Hynes. Thursday, May 24 at 7:15 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. To RSVP visit www.mjbha.org/events For more information email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Kemp Mill Village is being formed to help elderly and disabled residents stay in their homes. There will be an initial community-wide meeting at Kemp Mill Elementary School, Sunday, June 3, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Please plan to attend and help us get started. See website bit.ly/kempmillsurvey for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 13 – Yom Yerushalayim Monday May 14 Tuesday, May 15 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday May 16 Thursday May 17 Friday May 18
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:00 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:57 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:28 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
* Sunday, May 13 – Yom Yerushalayim – The Second Ashkenazi Minyan will meet at 7:30 with special additions.
The remainder of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 18 – 19, 2018 – 27 Iyar 5778
Light Candles by 7:58 – Havdalah 9:04
* Light Candles by 7:58, and not before 6:46
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:04
Monday, May 14 The Man with the Truck 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, May 16 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, May 20 Tikkun Leil Shavuos – Midnight
Monday, May 21 Ice Cream Social – 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM
Wednesday, May 23 YISE Annual Election Meeting, 7:45 PM
Wednesday, May 23 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:15 PM
Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 16 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager