Download the May 24-25, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 24-25, 2013 – 16 Sivan 5773 – Parshas Behaaloscha
Light Candles by 8:04 (and not before 6:52) – Havdalah 9:10
* Light Candles by 8:04, and not before 6:52
* Mincha 6:40 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:15, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 8:05
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:10
* 8:00 and 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall. Shiur will not meet on Tuesday, May 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:45 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds and girls groups will not meet this week due to a Shabbaton.; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. Next week is the last groups of the season.
YISE youth would like to thank Barbara Price and Iris & Adam Bashein for sponsoring this year's Shavuot Ice Cream Party.
* Sharon & Jeffrey Augenbaum on the birth of a granddaughter, Devorah Rivka (Lindsey Becca), to their children Dahlia & Dovid Augenbaum. Mazal Tov to the big brother, Sammy, grandparents Debbie & Rick Eisenberg, great-grandparents Clara Kasman, Murray Augenbaum, Rena Schondorf and Lea & Leon Eisenberg, and all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Martha & Ed Karl and Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the birth of a grandson, Yehonadav Baruch, to their children Tovah Leah & Donniel Karl of Ramat Bet Shemesh. Mazal Tov to greatgrandmother, Esther Becker, great-grandfather, David Karl, and all the aunts, uncles, cousins and the extended family.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the birth of a grandson, Shalom Ephraim, to their children Shana & Hirschel Wohl. Mazal Tov as well to big brother Reuven, and grandparents Miriam & Michael Wohl, as well as the entire family.
* Miriam & Efi Kotek on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Gaby & Luiz Kotek and Shelly & Jerry Kadden. Mazal Tov to all the aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces.The Shalom Zocher will take place Friday night at 9:15 PM at the home of Miriam & Efi Kotek, 11707 Saddlerock Road.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the engagement of their son Yoni to Rivky Gittleman, daughter of Marilyn & Neal Gittleman of Lakewood, NJ. Mazal Tov to grandfather, Jack Mehlman.
* Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon on the engagement of their daughter Rachel to Joshua Reznick, son of Dvora Sora & Howard Reznick of Baltimore.
* Estie & Azik Schwechter on the birth of a daughter, Amira Pesa. Mazal Tov to the siblings Sarit, Havi, Kayla, Leushi and Tarri, and to the grandparents, Ann Lewkowitz, Jerry Lewkowitz, and Arline & Mel Schwechter.
* Craig Oppenheim on the passing of his father, Julius Oppenheim. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva will be observed at 11411 Charlton Drive through Monday morning. Shacharis: Sunday and Monday: 7:30. Mincha/Maariv: 8:00.
* Richard Weinstein on the passing of his mother, Edith Weinstein. The funeral took place on Thursday in Salem, Massachusetts. Shiva will be observed at 1005 South Belgrade Road through Wednesday morning. Shacharis: Sunday and Monday: 7:30. Tuesday and Wednesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: 8:05.
YISE Programs and Listings
Topics in Jewish History – presented by Rabbi Greengart on Monday, June 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. 1111 University Blvd. W., Apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
Special Youth Shabbos on June 8 – The Youth Minyan will join and lead services at the 8:45 Minyan on Shabbos Parshas Korach, Rosh Chodesh. The Graduates' Kiddush will follow the 8:45 Minyan. A youth/family Seudah Shlishit will meet in the large social hall at 5:20, following the 5:00 Mincha. Suggested ages are pre-school to 3rd grade. Parents and other siblings are welcome. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for the 0Seudah Shlishit by June 2. To co-sponsor the Graduates' Kiddush or the Seudah Shlishit (sponsorships are $18 or $36 each) contact the Shul office, 301-593-4465, ext. 402. To add your graduates' name to a special acknowledgment at the Kiddush, send his or her name to email@example.com by Sunday, June 2.
Turning 65? You need to decide whether to enroll in Medicare. What are your Medicare options if you have Federal health insurance? How do Federal insurance benefits work with Medicare; who pays first? Learn from Leslie Fried, policy director/National Council on Aging, and Hilary Dalin, an expert in Federal programs for seniors. Eldercare program sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, SSJC, and KMS. At KMS on Sunday, June 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM.
Job Assist Events:
* Speed Networking – A fun, fast-paced, and free event for employers and job seekers. Thursday, May 30, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Fairfax, VA. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* 2-Day Job Seekers' Boot Camp – Indepth training on networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Sold out, but waiting list open. Wed-Thu, June 12-13, 9am- 4pm, Fairfax, VA. Info at www.jssa.org.
* Intermediate QuickBooks Online – Tuesday, June 11. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
Tuesday, May 28 at 7:30 PM
Arcola Social Hall
YISE Nursery Programs & Listings
Parenting Summer Series – A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. "How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk." Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. Sunday nights June 2 through July 7. 8:30 PM to 10:00 PM. At the home of Judy Rosenthal, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Cost: $100 per person, $120 per couple. Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, plus two other books. To register: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301- 593-7365.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei – 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. This week's Pirchei is sponsored by Elinor & Maury Litwack. If you're interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Women's Daytime Tehillim, Wednesdays, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Contact Arleeta Lerner for information, 301-649-0552. Note new time.
Tevilas Kelim: A Look at the 'Sources' – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Monday, May 27, Memorial Day. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC presents the Annual Mother-In-Israel Event – a Cooking Demo with Leah Koenig, author of The New Hadassah Everyday Cookbook! Sunday, June 2, 6:30 PM. $75 minimum includes Brother/ Sister In Israel & Dinner. For more information contact: AMIT Office at 410-484-2223 or email@example.com or Donna Lawrence 301-649-2226.
Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy's 69th Anniversary Celebration at Dave and Busters in White Flint Mall, 11301 Rockville Pike, Kensington, MD, Monday, June 10, 6:30 PM – 10:00 PM. Please join us – it was a really fun event last year and we expect it will be even better this year! Escape for a night and play like a kid! To make your reservations for a full, kosher dinner catered by Signature Caterers, place an ad, sponsor one of the D&B games, or to buy a raffle for spectacular beach vacations in South Carolina or Florida, visit www.mjbha.org/events today!
M-NCPPC Montgomery Parks invites you to review the design plans for Kemp Mill Urban Park at a community meeting on Tuesday, June 11 at 7:30 PM at Kemp Mill Elementary School. The meeting will include discussion on the final design documents, which were prepared based on the plan that was selected by the community and approved by the planning board. Your input and ideas on the proposed playground are of particular interest. For more information, visit: http://montgomeryparks.org/pdd/cip/kemp_mill_urban_park.shtm.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors to Age in Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. To request assistance contact seniorconnectionmc.org. Volunteers are also needed, with trips typically scheduled during non-rush hours and less than 5 miles from home. For more information go to www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 26 Monday, May 27 Memorial Day Tuesday, May 28 Wednesday, May 29 Thursday, May 30 Friday, May 31
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 8:00 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:10 8:10 N/A 8:10 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:45 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
May 31 – June 1, 2013 – 23 Sivan 5773
Light Candles by 8:09 – Havdalah 9:16
* Light Candles by 8:09, and not before 6:56
* Mincha 6:45 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:15, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 8:10
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 8:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:16
Tuesday, May 28 YISE Elections, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, June 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola
Tuesday, June 11 Elzee's, Arcola Social Hall, 11:30 AM to 8:30 PM
Shabbos, June 22 Scholar-In-Residence:
Rabbi Shalom Rosner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 29, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Tuesday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Closed Monday for Memorial Day
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director