Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 9 – 10, 2023 – 21 Sivan 5783 – Parashas Behaaloscha
Light Candles by 8:14, not before 7:00 – Havdalah 9:22
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Esther Dziadek in honor of her upcoming Aliyah on June 19th and in honor of this wonderful Shul and community which she has enjoyed for 48 years and
by Craig, Bayla, Zahava, Naomi, and Ilan Simon in honor of Rachelli Simon's 17th wedding anniversary.
The YISE Communications Committee hopes you are enjoying the shorter Shabbos Shorts! Have a comment or suggestion? Please send us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minyan locations are:
B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:10 (B), 8:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:22
* 8:45 Main Minyan (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan (S) Rabbi Yonatan Gorin
* Teen Minayn (H) Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur (SBM) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Kedushas Levi Chabura – 8 :55 (S) Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha – 7:25 (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shir after Mincha (B) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Buckingham Palace is pleased to announce the birth of Ariel Shimon Mordechai Baliti, brother of Gabriella Leah Baliti and son of Sara & Ben Baliti of London, UK. Mazal Tov to grandparents Eva & Ben Bazian and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Cheryl & Richie Broth on the engagement of their son Binyamin to Kayla Goldstein, daughter of Sarina & David Goldstein, of Bergenfield, NJ. Mazal Tov to all of their siblings, amazing grandparents and awesome great aunts and uncles.
* Allison & Jay Marcus on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Reuven Gedaliah. Mazal Tov also to siblings Gilad and Ephraim, grandparents Barbara & Richard Marcus, Nancy & Kenneth Ducharme, and Steven Goldman, and great-grandmothers Barbara Kramer and Lenore Goldman.
* Rivky & Oren Perez on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to siblings Ayelet and Noam. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Nancy Perez and Elaine & Howie Feldman of White Oak, as well as great-grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. The Shalom Zachor is scheduled for 9:30 PM – 11:00 PM at 908 Hoyt Street.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the engagement of their grandson, Simi Ruchelman, son of Cindy & Charles Ruchelman of White Oak, to Daniella Kiss, daughter of Esti & Ari Davis and Moishe Kiss of Pomona, NY.
* Frank Akman on the passing of his wife, Minette Akman.
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Allison & Jay Marcus in honor of their son Reuven's Bar Mitzvah and by Rivky & Oren Perez in honor of the birth of their new son.
* The Sephardic Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Rivky & Oren Perez in honor of the birth of their new son.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM in The House, followed by Kiddush.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, June 10, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends.
* Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby.
* Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony.
* Ages 6-9 years meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva.
* 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
* Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus, will not take place this Shabbos, June 10.
For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Boys Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos afternoon shiur for 5th and 6th grade boys, will not take place this Shabbos, June 10.
* Tomchei Shabbos Update – With Hashem's help, and thanks to the incredible generosity of our community, our generous "matchers," and our corporate sponsors, we surpassed our goal of $400,000. Chasdei Hashem, we collectively raised $474,571. If you were unable to participate in our Tomchei Shabbos campaign earlier this week, please consider making a donation at www.yadyehuda.org/donate Every contribution really does help. We are humbled by and grateful for your support. Mi K'Amcha Yisrael! With much gratitude, Nechemia Mond on behalf of Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington.
* Limud On Our Lawn – a new YISE monthly summer learning project bringing Limud Torah to front lawns and backyards in our community. On the 2nd Shabbos of June, July, August and September, a different YISE family each month will host a learning opportunity, exploring a different Torah luminary each month. The first program will take place on June 10 at 6:00 PM at the home of Bob & Susan Levi, 520 Lamberton Drive. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak on Hillel: The Halachic Decider and Role Model for His People. See flyer for details.
* Sefer Iyov – Rabbi Rosenbaum's 11:00 AM Wednesday morning Nach Shiur on Zoom A, has just begun Sefer Iyov.
* Graduation Kiddush – Help sponsor Kiddush on Shabbos, June 17, in honor of that special graduate in your life! To honor your graduate, send your donation of $18 to YISE by June 14. Please include the name of the sponsor(s) and the graduate's name, school and grade. Send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-593-4465 x103 by June 14. See flyer for details.
* Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic, Halachos of Fast Days, will take place on Tuesday, June 27, 7:15 PM – 8:15PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or 301-754-1517. To sponsor the program, contact the YISE office.
* Rabbi Yaakov Glasser, Managing Director for Communal Engagement at the Orthodox Union; formerly, David Mitzner Dean for the Center for Jewish Future at YU, will be our Scholar-in-Residence on Shabbos, July 1. Rabbi Glasser will speak on Shabbos:
* After 8:45 Minyan (Approximately 11:00 AM): "Tefilah LeShlom Hamalchus: Galus, Gratitude, & Aspiring for Redemption"
* 5:30 PM (After 5:00 PM Mincha): "Har HaBayis: Historical, Halachic, and Archeological Issues Related to Ascending the Temple Mount"
* 7:00 PM (1 hour prior to 8:00 PM Mincha): "Kol Dodi Dofek: Rav Soloveitchik's Unique Approach to Israel" See flyer for details.
* Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, July 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A.
* Mazal Tov on the Birth of Your Son or Daughter! YISE can help organize meals. Contact Miriam Levson at 901-481-7133 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rose Blynn at 410-522-8624 or email@example.com Send announcement details to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
* Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
* Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
* Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shabbos Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 3:59 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:37 AM, Latest Netz: 5:43 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:33PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:25 PM
June 16 – 17, 2023 – 28 Sivan 5783
Parashas Shlach/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:17, not before 7:02 – Havdalah 9:25
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:20 (B), 8:20 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:15 (B), 8:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:25
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 14, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Josh Seidemann – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Weekday and Community Announcements
Upcoming Community Programs & Listings
Conversation on Combatting Growing Antisemitism in Our Community – Monday, June 12, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM at the home of Paul & Eti Roitman Bardack, 11208 Healy Street, Maryland State Senator Ben Kramer and Maryland Delegates Bonnie Cullison, Charlotte Crutchfield, and Vaughn Stewart will participate in a conversation with members of our community on the disturbing rise of antisemitism locally and what more can be done to combat it. RSVP to email@example.com The conversation will be an important one, and we want your voice to be heard.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 14, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
CPR, First Aid & AED classes are being offered by The Chesed Fund & Project Ezra on Sunday, June 18. Women's/Girls' Classes available 9:00 AM – 12:45 PM or 1:00 PM – 4:45 PM and Men's/Boys' Class 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Special subsidized pricing of $50 per person ($25 per person if you bring a friend.) Email email@example.com to register or for more info.
Keren Yad Zlata commemorates the 13th Yahrzeit of Mrs. Chaya Zlata Geisinsky, OB"M, with An Incredible Evening of Inspiration, Learning and Spiritual Optimism, Faith and Trust In G-d, Emunah and Bitachon. Guest Speaker: Rabbi Sholom M. Rubashkin. Tuesday, June 20, 7:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy, Rockville. RSVP appreciated, suggested contribution $25 entrance ticket. RSVP by phone 240-200-4515 or online at https://jewishzone.org/YadZlata For more information, contact Rabbi Bentzion Geisinsky at 202-423-3000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Landy Memorial Fund – Lisa devoted the better part of the last three decades teaching pre-schoolers in Jewish schools in the Washington, DC area. Lisa was a staunch advocate of the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which encourages students to direct their own learning and fosters their independent thinking and self-confidence. The Lisa Landy Memorial Fund was established to train teachers in local Jewish schools in the Reggio method. To make a tax-deductible donation or for more information, contact Eli Landy at 301-401-9475 or email@example.com
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2626
Recurring Community Programs & Listings
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Horayos. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos inperson, 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha in the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Tuesday, June 13, or on Thursday, June 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Wednesday, June 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Sefer Iyov, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara, starting the 3rd Perek of Kiddushin.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D, will resume in the fall.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. New Semester began Tuesday, May 2. Register at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings at 8:45 PM (note new time) on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Thank you to the Weekday Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shuir – Chanah & Joseph Hollander, in loving memory of Chanah's father, Chaim Ben Yehuda Leib, A"H, on the occasion of his Yahrzeit.; Leonard & Diana Ruchelman in memory of Diana's father, Fred Hoffberger, Z"L.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email email@example.com for details. Thank you for your support