Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 5-6, 2015 – 19 Sivan 5775 – Parshas Behaaloscha
Light Candles by 8:12 (and not before 6:59) – Havdalah 9:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Faith & Gil Ginsburg and Uncle Rafi in honor of Daniel Ginsburg's graduation from the Berman Hebrew Academy Moshe H. Levinson Upper School.
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 6:59
Arcola: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:20
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Trish Weisman & John Golin in honor of their grandchildren Ariella, Ronia, and Eddie.
* 8:00 Minyan – The Nizhnikov family in honor of the birth and Bris of Akiva Boaz and Elle's birthday.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Nizhnikov family in honor of the birth and Bris of Akiva Boaz and Elle's birthday.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:20 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:40 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rivky & Oren Perez on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Nancy Perez and Elaine & Howard Feldman of White Oak.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Common Questions Regarding Brachos on Food." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
June Adult Educational Workshop: "Life is a Road Trip!" – Presented by YISE and BCGW. Get prepared for the next phase of the journey by learning how to be more proactive about addressing your own medical, legal and financial needs. Join Geriatric Specialist, Bernice Singer Schwartz, MSW, LCSW. Sunday, June 7, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM, at YISE. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-331-4481.
The YISE Membership Directory will be published soon. If you are a member and have moved or would like any changes in your published directory listing, please submit your changes at: http://www.yise.org/directory or send an e-mail to email@example.com or contact the YISE office.
NEW SHIUR COMING SOON – "Going Deep – The Meaning of the Amidah" – Six Monday night Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women. Meets June 22 to July 27 from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. in the small Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project (Mincha and Maariv are part of the class). Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee is looking to add names to its volunteer list for drivers. Please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby. There is an immediate need this week on Sunday and Tuesday.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Mazal Tov to our Graduates:
Avi Augenbaum, 8th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Moshe Dorfman, 12th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Ian Hillel Edeson, Brooklyn College
Shmuel Franco, Pre1A, Talmudic Academy
Simi Franco, 4yr old, YISE Nursery School
Merav Friedman, 8th grade, BHA
Daniel Ginsburg, 12th grade, BHA Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School
Esther Harris, 6th grade, TSGW
Gila Harris, 12th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Michal Jacobson, Stern College
Arik Katz, 4yr old, Silver Spring Learning Center
Tova Katzoff, 6th grade, TSGW
Shaina Koblin, 6th grade, TSGW
Nechama Kugler, 6th grade, TSGW
Shlomo Kugler, 12th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Amitai Landy, 12th grade, BHA Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School
Miriam Levi, University of Maryland, College Park
Reuvie Marcus, 4yr old, Silver Spring Learning Center
Devorah Merzel, 12th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Aryeh Miller, 6th grade, TSGW
Chana Aliza Miller, 12th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Jacob Namrow, 12th grade, BHA Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School
Moshe Perez, 4yr old, Silver Spring Learning Center
Michael Robbins, University of Maryland School of Medicine
Yosef Rosenbaum, Kindergarten, TSGW
Jeremy Rosenthal, Princeton University
Dovie Shimoff, 6th grade, TSGW
Yonah Shimoff, 4yr old, Silver Spring Learning Center
Zahava Simon, PreKindergarten, YISE Nursery School
Dassi Solomson, 12th grade, YGW Tiferes Gedaliah
Miri Solomson, 6th grade, TSGW
Naomi Wakschlag, Stern College
Amir Wertheimer, 12th grade, BHA Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School
Esti Zwany, Montgomery College Nursing Program
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org- will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Megillas Eicha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 9:00 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts – will not meet this week.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from four classes.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from three classes.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University – the second Perek of Kiddushin.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
NOTE: This week is the last week for full groups. There are NO groups next Shabbos, June 13. Beginning Shabbos June 20, ONLY 2-5 year olds will meet for the remainder of the summer.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NCSY Family Carnival Fundraiser – Sunday, June 7, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM at KMS. Children of all ages will enjoy games, food, prizes, and fun! All proceeds will benefit the Cheryl Stern Memorial Fund, to help NCSY teens in our area take the trip of a lifetime this summer to Israel and grow in their Judaism! Admission fee is $5, additional 25¢ per booth ticket. Contact info: email@example.com
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha at YISE begins Hilchos Tefillin on Tuesday, June 9 at 8:00 PM (Mincha at 7:45 PM). Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel at YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah, will learn Mishna Brurah on Monday – Thursday evenings – 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org. View the complete flyer with days and times at www.yeshiva.edu
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, June 10, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Launching Mussar Vaadim in Silver Spring – On Monday, June 15, at 8:30 PM at YISE, the International Organization for Mussar Vaadim (IOMV) will be hosting an open house to launch new Mussar Vaadim in the Greater Washington area. Following the mesorah of Rav Shlomo Wolbe, Z"L, the Vaad will be a guide to character development through practical mussar work. The Vaad will be led by Rabbi Benjamin Geiger, under the guidance of Rabbi Leib Kelemen, Shlita. For more information, please contact Michael Belgrade at firstname.lastname@example.org, Dana Sicherman at email@example.com, or Yehoshua Scheininger at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ultimate Kindness – Chevra Kadisha is called the ultimate good deed, Chesed Shel Emet, as the recipient cannot return the favor. The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot. Opportunities are available daily and volunteers from throughout the region are welcome. For more information or to volunteer, contact: For Women's Division – Devorah Grayson, 202-438-7060. For Men's Division: (301) 593-1193 or email@example.com
Like YISE on Facebook:
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 7 Monday, June 8 Tuesday, June 9 Wednesday, June 10 Thursday, June 11 Friday, June 12
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
June 12-13, 2015 – 26 Sivan 5775
Parshas Shlach – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:16 – Havdalah 9:24
* Light Candles by 8:16, and not before 7:02
Arcola: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 University: 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:24
Sunday, June 7 June Adult Educational Workshop: "Life is a Road Trip!"
Shabbos, June 13 Bar Mitzvah of Yitz Taragin, 8:45 Main Minyan
Monday, June 15 Mr. Rosenberg, Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 10 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director