Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 1 – 2, 2018 – 19 Sivan 5778 – Parshas Behaaloscha
Light Candles by 8:10 – Havdalah 9:17
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Avigail & David Manheim and family in appreciation of Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Silver, and all our friends in the community. So long and thanks for all the fish(balls).
* Rebbetzin Anemer on the birth of great grandson to Gitty (Weber) & Adam Edilstein of Lakewood, New Jersey.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Frieda Bart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Aharon Bart, in Richmond, VA, to parents Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart and to Uncle Jonathan.
* Esther & Yosef Lindell on the birth of a boy. The Shalom Zachor will take place at the home of Beth and Jack Lichy, 11603 Monticello Ave., from 9:00 PM – 11:00 PM.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to their grandchildren Yael & Ari Horovitz of Modiin. Mazal tov to her brothers and to her grandparents, Tzippy (Spiro) & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the marriage of her grandson, Avi DuBois, son of Nancy & Jeffrey DuBois and grandson of Norman DuBois, to Natalie Kahn, daughter of Yona & Bob Kahn, and to their siblings, Jeremy DuBois and Sarah Bennett.
* Light Candles by 8:10, and not before 6:56
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:17
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Moshe Nissan in memory of his mother, Latifa bat Regina.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Marisa Roy and David Ratner with gratitude to Hashem in celebration of their 1st wedding anniversary, the 17th of Sivan.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum –Shiur after Mincha
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
Sunday, June 10
* For last-minute Banquet reservations, contact email@example.com or call the YISE office or go to www.yise.org/banquet
* To place an ad in the Banquet Journal, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the YISE office or go to www.yise.org/banquet The Journal deadline was Friday. Ads will be included in an addendum.
Want to wish a Mazal Tov and make a donation in honor of that special graduate in your life? To honor your graduate at a Kiddush next Shabbos, June 9, send a donation of $18 along with your child's name, grade and school from which he/she graduated. We will place a list on the tables at the Kiddush. Please send information to email@example.com or 301-593-4465 x403 by Tuesday, June 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:35 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: On the Same Page with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM. For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Kelim Mikvah Update
The Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah will be closed beginning Monday, June 4, for a thorough cleaning.
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE.
Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
YISE Programs and Listings
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, June 6, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Gilda Haber, "Cockney Girl: Memoirs of a Jewish girl in England during World War II," signed copies available for sale ($12).
Community Blood Drive – Sunday June 10, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive, in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, Dr. Clif Price, & Mrs. Beverly Brinn. Donate and receive an Inova Blood Donor Services Cooling Towel. Photo ID Required. Allow one hour for donation. Make your lifesaving appointment today by calling Inova Blood Donor Services at 1-866-256-6372, donor code 8030, or contacting Eli Landy email@example.com or online at www.yise.org/blood
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Please review and update the listing of your children listed the YISE Israel Connection section of the Directory. Send updated information to email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, June 2, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
51st Annual Graduation of Yeshiva of Greater Washington Girls Division – June 5, 8:00 PM at Magen David Sephardic Congregation, 11215 Woodglen Drive, Rockville, MD 20852.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 6, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Kemp Mill Village is being formed to help elderly and disabled residents stay in their homes. There will be an initial community-wide meeting at Kemp Mill Elementary School, Sunday, June 3, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Please plan to attend and help us get started. See website bit.ly/kempmillsurvey for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday June 3 Monday June 4 Tuesday June 5 Wednesday June 6 Thursday June 7 Friday June 8
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:40 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
June 8 – 9, 2018 – 26 Sivan 5778
Parshas Shlach – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:14 – Havdalah 9:22
* Light Candles by 8:14, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:22
Tuesday, June 5 Basic Colors, 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Wednesday, June 6 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, June 9 Graduation Kiddush
Sunday, June 10 Blood Drive at Chabad, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 6 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager