Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 16-17, 2014 – 17 Iyar 5774 – Parshas Bechukosai
Light Candles by 7:57 (and not before 6:46) – Havdalah 9:02
* Light Candles by 7:57, and not before 6:46
* Mincha 6:35 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Arcola, Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 8:00
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 (Sephardi), 7:55 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:02
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosebaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Price family in observance of the 2nd Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price.
* 8:00 Minyan – Hilary & Avrum Leeder in honor of the birth of their daughter, Meira Rivka.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rosalyn & Dr. Herman Efron on the publication of "A Chosen Calling," the latest book by their son, Dr. Noah Efron. The book discusses the prominence of Jews in the sciences in the 20th century and his explanation why this occurred.
* Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern on the birth of a great-grandson, Shai, born to their grandchildren, Tamar & Dovid Halpern of Philadelphia.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Thoughts on Shavuos." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Jokes and Accidents in Tort Law – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture with Rabbi Mordechai Rhine, Sunday, May 18, at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Sefirah Session continues on Tuesdays, at 8:00 PM; Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv follows at 9:00 PM.
* Developing your "Gemara Kop" – R' Nachum Schwartz – Thinking through Maseches Sukkah
* Halachos of Tefillah – Rabbi Binyamin Silver
* Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Strengthening our Emunah – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* "What's Under the Hood?" – R' Moshe Chaim Blate – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics. Join us for the Open Beis Medrash or we can help you set up a Chevrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. PLEASE NOTE THE NEW SUBJECT.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Bais Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Lecture with Rabbi Mordechai Rhine this Sunday; next week resumes "Employment of Gentiles on Shabbos"
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, following Mincha / Maariv.
Post Pesach Particulars
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2014:
All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars Super Market, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie.
Stores in our community: Brookville Market, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, Potomac Wines and Spirits, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz may NOT be purchased from the following stores until Wednesday, May 21: Giant, Safeway, Sniders, Target.
Annual Election Meeting for Officers and Trustees of the Board of YISE Tuesday, May 20, 7:30 PM Arcola Social Hall
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Presents: A Lag B'Omer outing at Luray Caverns, Sunday May 18, 10:00 AM. $16/adult, $8/Child (12&Under), 5 & under-Free. Leaving YISE at 8:00 AM. RSVP ASAP. For More information, contact Avi Litwack at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-576-3284.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walkins welcome. For more information, email@example.com or 240-423-8810.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade, in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Lag B'Omer Carnival – Hosted by the YGW Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Division Juniors, Sunday May 18, 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM, at the YGW Girls Campus. Rain or shine. Food, games, prizes, and music. BBQ, moon bounces, game booths, live music, and more! Cost: $6 admission for children over 3. Each person in a group of at least 5 will be only $5. Admission includes a FREE cotton candy, 8 tickets per person, and unlimited rides. BBQ is a separate fee. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Get a Free Haircut and Do a Mitzvah All at Once!!! Zichron Menachem Annual Hair Raising Event is back! Show you care by donating 10 inches of hair! May 18 – Lag B'Omer – In Salon and Day Spa, 13665 Connecticut Avenue in Aspen Hill, appointments from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. June 9 – After Shavuot – Norma's Hair Salon will come to MJBHA, appointments from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. June 10 – After Shavuot – Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, appointments at 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. Private cuttings are available at all locations. To make an appointment please contact Nancy Mehlman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Dinner – Please join the Greater Washington NCSY on Monday, May 19 at 7:00 PM, hosted by Janet & Mark Zuckerman in Potomac. For more information and scholarship sponsorship information please visit atsncsy.org or contact Dana@NCSY.org
Toastmasters' Meeting- Wednesday, May 21 at 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Hakamas HaMatzeiva for Etan Savir will take place on Sunday, May 25 at 10:00 AM at Mount Lebanon Cemetery in Adelphi, MD.
A Day of Torah and Unity – Sunday, May 25, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM, at Beth Shalom, Potomac. We will all come together as one to learn and prepare for the upcoming Yom Tov of Shavuos, just as the Jewish people stood together at Har Sinai to accept the Torah so many years ago. We will be learning the topic of Kiddush Hashem – Sanctifying the name of G-d. There will be group learning and classes to suit every interest and level. For all questions please contact info@ dctorahunity.com or visit www.dctorahunity.com
Shavuos – What is Our Uniqueness? – The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh, Thursday, May 29, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00 AM. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Free. Participants must have basic computer skills and know how to search and navigate websites. Wednesday, May 21, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. No reservation required. JSSA, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. For info, email@example.com
* Computer Training Online – (1) Access for Beginners. Classes start on Wednesday, May 21. (2) Intermediate Word & Excel. Classes start on Tuesday, May 27. For both, info and register at www.oujobs.org/events
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 18 – Lag B'Omer Monday, May 19 Tuesday, May 20 Wednesday, May 21 Thursday, May 22 Friday, May 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
May 23-24, 2014 – 24 Iyar 5774
Parshas Bamidbar – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:03 – Havdalah 9:09
* Light Candles by 8:03, and not before 6:51
* Mincha 6:40 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:05, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:05
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:09
Sunday, May 18 YISE Youth – Outing to Luray Caverns
Tuesday, May 20 YISE Elections, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, May 21 Senior Lunch, " Byline: Ernie Pyle, Reports from the front in World War II" Actor Steve LaRocque showcases excepts from the wartime columns of Reporter Ernie Pyle.
Wednesday, May 21 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 21, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director