Parashas Balak – July 7-8, 2017
Download the July 7-8, 2017 Shavuos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 7-8, 2017 – 14 Tammuz 5777 – Parshas Balak
Light Candles by 8:18 (and not before 7:05) – Havdalah 9:24
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Esti & Moshe Zwany on the birth of a daughter, Ketziah Rivka. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Susan & Abe Zwany and Sharon & Jeff Augenbaum, and to all the great-grandparents. Mazal Tov also to big brother, Simon, and all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Light Candles by 8:18, and not before 7:05
Arcola: 6:55, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will merge with the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:24
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Shmuel Silber
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – “The Group”
* Sephardi Minyan – Cassie & Hector Mariscal in honor of their marriage.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Shmuel Silber; and by Nancy Karkowsky and family in commemoration of the fourth Yahrzeit of their much missed husband, father, and “Zayde,” Dr. Avi Karkowsky, Z”L.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Shmuel Silber – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume July 18.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM – will not meet this week – due to lecture.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT”L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur – will resume in August.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Shiur – will resume in August.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter – will not meet this week.
* Wednesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Women – will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Shmuel Silber – Rav, Suburban Orthodox Congregation; Dean and Founder, Institute of Jewish Continuity; Former Education Director, Kof-K Kosher.
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00):
Looking Through the Window – Inspiration, Invigoration, and Internalization: Insight on Parsha Balak – Kiddush follows.
* One hour before Mincha (7:15 PM):
Ethics of the Fathers, Lessons for the Children – Elisha ben Avuyah: Tragedy and Triumph
* Between Mincha / Maariv:
Finding Contemporary Meaning in Historical Loss: Reflections on the Three Weeks
International Arms Trade: The Responsibility of Governments in Arms Control – In conjunction with YISE, the GWCK invites men and women of the community to join us for a lecture by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Sunday, July 9, 9:30 AM at YISE.
The Power of Tears – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, July 9, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, July 10, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Halachos of Preparing Food on Shabbos. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
High Holiday Seat Planning – It's not too early to start thinking about the High Holidays. Forms and instructions for obtaining seats were mailed this week. Also included were forms for placing a greeting in the Hashomer and for placing a listing into our annual Yizkor Book. To complete the package, your annual statement and an explanation of current charges are included.
Lost and Found – All coats will be removed from the lower lobby coatroom on Thursday, July 27.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Fast of Shiva Asar B'Tammuz
Tuesday, July 11
* Fast Begins 4:11 AM
* Early Mincha 2:00 PM
* Mincha 8:00 PM
* Maariv 8:55 PM
* Fast Ends 9:23 PM
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold starting this Wednesday, July 12 at YISE, 40 minutes before Mincha. Nightly Shiur, Monday through Thursday. For more information contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with “Subscribe” in the subject line to email@example.com
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, July 8 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Yad Yehuda School Supply Drive – Looking for new/gently used school supplies to provide for families for next school year. Drop-off boxes at the Berman Hebrew Academy, Yad Yehuda (1910 University Blvd), or the porch at 11613 Fulham Street. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
GWCK Teen/Junior Summer Kollel – Continues through July 13, come to weekday classes on a variety of exciting topics for 5th – 9th graders. There will be snacks, raffles and prizes! 5th and 6th Grade: 7:30 PM – 8:15 PM. 7th – 9th Grade: 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM. All classes take place at GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Drive.
Kemp Mill Urban Park Grand Opening – Wednesday, July 12, 6:00 PM- 8:30 PM.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Donor Needed – A member of the Baltimore community is in need of a kidney transplant. If you are 18 or older, you may be eligible to become a donor. Any blood type is compatible. For more information about the process and how to be tested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Please also forward this message to family members, friends and co-workers who might consider becoming a donor. Absolute confidentiality is assured.
OU Survey – The OU is conducting a national survey of the Orthodox community. If you are interested in participating please visit http://bit.ly/Orthodox-Survey and complete the survey by August 31.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program for rising 6th-11th graders. Wednesday, August 2 – Tuesday, August 15, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ Breakfast; 9:30 AM Learning; 11:30 AM Lunch; 12:00 Noon Activity; 1:00 PM Swimming; 2:30 PM Pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $75 per week per student, $125 for full program. Trips cost extra. To register or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com, 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 9 Monday, July 10 Tuesday, July 11 – Shiva Asar B'Tammuz Wednesday, July 12 Thursday, July 13 Friday, July 14
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:10 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 8:20 7:45 (Mincha), 8:20 2:00, 8:00 / 8:55 7:45 (Mincha), 8:20 7:45 (Mincha), 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:00 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:32 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 14-15, 2017 – 21 Tammuz 5777
Light Candles by 8:15 – Havdalah 9:20
* Light Candles by 8:15, and not before 7:02
Arcola: 6:50, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:20
Shabbos, July 8 Scholar in Residence: Rabbi Shmuel Silber
Shabbos, July 15 Bar Mitzvah of Avrami Werner
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 12 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager