Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 5-6, 2017 – 10 Iyar 5777 – Parshas Acharei Mos – Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:47 (and not before 6:38) – Havdalah 8:51
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Eva & Ben Bazian on the birth of a grandson, Raphael Dov (Rafi) Bazian, to their children Jessica & Sam Bazian of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to siblings Shoshana & Doni Moskowitz, Zachary and Rebecca; Sara Bazian & Ben Baliti; and Shira Bazian.
* Sharon & Mayer Samuels on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Avi. Mazal Tov to siblings Shoshana and Isaac. Mazal Tov to grandparents Mrs. Suzie Samuels, of New York, and Dr. & Mrs. Lawrence Riemer, of California, and extended family and friends.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the engagement of their granddaughter, Miriam, daughter of Randee & Rabbi Manny Goldberger, of Atlanta, to Yaakov Yosef, son of Chaya & Rabbi Aryeh Feigenbaum, of Dallas.
* Aviva & Pinchas Werner and family on the birth of a baby boy.
* Light Candles by 7:47, and not before 6:38
Arcola: 6:25, 6:50, 7:50 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:51
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sharon & Mayer Samuels in honor of their son Avi's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Megillas Rus. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Makkos, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, on Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will not meet this week.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Art Auction – Sunday, May 7. Preview: 7:00 PM, Auction: 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Over 300 pieces of art! Light refreshments will be served. UPDATE: Art Auction Promotion! With each admission ticket, you will receive a $10 coupon toward any art purchased. Advance admission tickets: $12 per person, $20 per couple. Admission at the door: $15 per person, $25 per couple. For more information, contact: Elaine Rubin: firstname.lastname@example.org Sammy Franco: email@example.com or Simi Franco: firstname.lastname@example.org To register for free babysitting, contact Elaine Rubin: email@example.com Tickets may be purchased via PayPal at: www.yise.org/auction
Thank You – YISE would like to thank the following people for sponsoring the Shalosh Seudos and Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L: Esther & Dr. Alan Baldinger, Naomi & Ori Carmel, Esther & Jacob Edeson, Simi & Sammy Franco, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg, Arlene Groner, Shari & Rabbi Scott Hillman, Ann & Joseph Hollander, Marsha & Yitz Kasdan, Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz, Ruthie & Bill Konick, Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss, Lisa & Eli Landy, Susan & Bob Levi, Judy & Dr. David Marwick, Bobbi &Jules Meisler, Barbara Price, Shalva & Enoch Resnick, Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Donna & Geoff Rosenbloom, Judy & Stuart Rosenthal, Debi & Max Rudmann, Harriet & Dr. Ron Sheinson, Gloria & Arnie Sherman, Esti & Dr. Yehuda Strauss, Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky, Abby & Chaim Tor, Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag.
Help Needed on Shabbos – One or two people are needed to help a woman get upstairs to the balcony of the Belonofsky Sanctuary on Shabbos mornings, at around 9:00 AM and back downstairs after Musaf. If you can help, please contact Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Jewish Foundation for Group Homes has a Jewish group home near Kemp Mill which houses adults with disabilities. YISE would like to develop a relationship with these residents. The goal is to include them in our community activities and make them a part of our Shul family. If you are interested in participating in this wonderful undertaking, please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office. There is a need in the community at this time for meals. If you can help cook, please contact Miriam or Melanie.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, May 21, 6:00 PM
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
Youth Honorees: Miriam Hillman, Leora Landy, Yehoshua Mehlman, Yael Miller, Penina Rubin
A Night Out in Venice
RSVP and place your ads Now!
Visit www.yise.org/banquet for more information.
Let's be safe at YISE!
Please help keep YISE a safe environment and accessible Shul for all ages. Please be careful opening the doors to avoid accidental injury to those on the other side of the door. Also, please be considerate and place any strollers or wheelchairs outside of the Shul lobby to ensure the area is accessible to all congregants.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
Annual Lag B'omer Carnival – Sunday, May 21, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Shomrai Nursery. Please park at the rear of the church lot. There will be crafts, water slide, refreshments and STREAM activities in the social hall! We look forward to seeing you there.
Annual YISE Shomrai Nursery Raffle – Great prizes including free camp, Uppa Baby stroller, Yehudis Goldfarb Photography and More!! Enter online at www.yise.org/raffle
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
New Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 6 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Chabad of Silver Spring invites the entire community to hear a lecture each Shabbos between Pesach and Shavuos from a different Kemp Mill Rabbi, from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Chabad. This Shabbos the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum, Young Israel Shomrai Emunah
New Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join the over 100 daily listeners, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to email@example.com
Drug Discovery: A New Era of Cancer Therapy – Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations with Dr. Shana Frankel Posy (YGW '98) of Bristol-Myers Squibb with Torah Insights by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. The community is invited to join us for our final lecture in this year's series on Sunday, May 7, 12:30 PM – Mincha following. At the YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 10, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to help connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! In partnership with the Bender JCC, LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together in a one-on-one format whereby a mentor can share his or her Jewish knowledge with a seeking participant. LINKS begins on Wednesday, May 17 at the Bender JCC, Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or email@example.com
Berman Hebrew Academy 73rd Anniversary Celebration, Yom Yerushalayim Dinner and Interactive Experience – Wednesday, May 24, 7:15 PM. Honoring Drs. Josh and Lisi Levisohn. RSVP at www.mjbha.org/events
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Jobs: "Hiring Freeze Lifted – 5 Steps to Take Now." Free webinar with Corliss Jackson, May 15, 8:00 PM. More info and signup at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
* Questions about this and other workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Help Wanted: Preschool Lead Teacher
Shomrai Nursery, is hiring a preschool Lead Teacher for the two year old and three year old classes for the 2017-2018 school year.
Shomrai Nursery provides a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. Our educators offer investigations based on emerging interests and hands on experiences. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development and are looking for educators who are thoughtful about how they support this development, as well as children's development in the other domains; language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical (both fine motor and gross motor) skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content.
We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a bachelors or higher degree in Early Childhood Education, knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students' curiosity and wonder.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post Pesach Pointers – YISE and Beyond
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2017:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS Pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Royal Farms, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walmart, Wegmans Food Markets, Walgreens, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: Aldi, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz MAY NOT be purchased from Snider's until four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 7 Monday, May 8 Tuesday, May 9 Wed., May 10 – Pesach Sheni Thursday, May 11 Friday, May 12
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:30 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 12-13, 2017 – 17 Iyar 5777
Light Candles by 7:53 – Havdalah 8:58
* Light Candles by 7:53, and not before 6:43
Arcola: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 University: 7:50 Sephardi: 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:58
Shabbos, May 6 Bar Mitzvah of Avi Samuels
Sunday, May 7 YISE Rediscovered Art Auction, 7:00 PM
Monday, May 8 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, May 10 YISE Board Meeting, 8:15 PM
Sunday, May 21 Annual Lag B'omer Carnival, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Sunday, May 21 YISE Annual Banquet, 6:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 10 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager