Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 27 – 28, 2018 – 13 Iyar 5778 – Parshas Acharei Mos/Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:39 – Havdalah 8:42
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler on the birth of a granddaughter, Anaelle Tziona, born to their children Aviva & Amishav Bresler of Elizabeth, NJ.
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Rephael Preiser, son of Batya & Chaim Preiser of Baltimore.
* Danit & Ari Kanal on the birth of twin boys. Mazel Tov to the siblings, Naava and Rachel. Mazel Tov to grandparents Judith & Emanuel Kanal, Sylvia Pilch and Amir Pilch. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night at 113 Claybrook Dr., beginning at 9:00 PM.
* Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the birth of a grandson, born to their children Elisheva & Yehuda Katz of White Oak. Mazel Tov to great-grandparents Arline & Dr. Irving Katz and the whole family.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Frieda Bart on the birth of their great-granddaughter, Ahuva Miriam Eichenbaum. Mazel Tov to parents Bracha & Barry Eichenbaum, grandparents Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart of Richmond and Great-Uncle Jonathan.
* Jodi & David Mazel on the birth of a grandson, Zev Reuven Hirsch, to Suzanne & Jack Voystock of New York City. Mazel Tov to Aunt Shayna and Uncle Jacob.
* Yael & Rabbi Sanford Shudnow and Frida Zipor, and to Sara Leah & Rabbi Menachem Kovacs and Hadassah Kovacs on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Eitan Kovacs, son of Sarrit & Yossi Kovacs, and to siblings Noam and Liat. Mazel Tov also to Aunt Nina & Uncle Erez Safar.
* Jacob Edeson who is in Holy Cross Hospital. Visitors are welcome.
* Marcelle Chalom on the passing of her mother, Rita Pinhas. The funeral took place on Sunday.
* Light Candles by 7:39, and not before 6:31
Ashkenazi: 6:15, 6:40, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:42
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Brenda & Irwin Manes and Rivkie & Matt Manes in honor of the birth, and first birthday, of their granddaughter and daughter Naomi Florence and the Price family to commemorate the 6th Yahrzeit of Dr.Clifton Price, Akiva ben Avraham.
* Sephardi Minyan – Hector & Cassie Mariscal in honor of Avraham Chanukah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – in honor of Batsheva Broder graduating from Nurse Practitioner school with honors.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, following Mincha/Maariv, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: On the Same Page with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome a new member who was voted in at the last Board meeting: Victor Seletsky
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 29: Do a mitzvah! Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM! Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Good Deeds Day 2018 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy and NCSY in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Register at www.shalomdc.org/parkcleanupgdd2018 or just show up. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, May 2, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Ed Fritz, "The Life of Joseph Pulitzer"
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Rebbetzin Anemer would like to thank Rabbi Rosenbaum & Bob Levi without whose involvement the learning process would not have taken place and all those that learned in memory of her husband. Also, thank you to all who sponsored the Seudah. Without bread there is no learning.
The YISE Adult Education Committee would like to thank all those who participated & learned, helping to make the Siyum of Tanach in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L, possible and to all those volunteers who helped prepare, set up and clean up. Thank you to all the siyum seudah sponsors: Esther & Dr. Alan Baldinger, Naomi & Ori Carmel, Drs. Laurie & Stuart Cohen, Simi & Sammy Franco, Debi & Aryeh Furst, Raph Ginsburg, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg, Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart, Arlene Groner, Shari & Rabbi Scott Hillman, Fay Kasser, Debbie & Marc Katz, Lisa & Eli Landy, Elaine & Robert Leichter, Susan & Bob Levi, Marilyn & Judah Lifschitz, Judy & Dr. David Marwick, Bobbi & Jules Meisler, Dr. Eva & Isaac Moses, Yolanda & Alan Oslick, Chani & Jay Parness, Barbara Price, Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Donna & Geoff Rosenbloom, Debi & Max Rudmann, Harriet & Dr. Ron Sheinson, Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky, Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag.
Save the date! Sunday, June 10
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Chometz after Pesach
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2018:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
Chometz may only be purchased from Snider's beginning four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 28, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 4:00 PM.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, April 21, Rabbi Michoel Frank, Ohr HaTorah. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Yom Iyun – Standing Up for Truth – Condemnation, Condoning, and Flattery in Halacha – Must I say the truth no matter what the cost? Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites men of the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, April 29, at YGW Boys Campus. Davening – 8:00 AM, Breakfast – 9:00 AM, Learning starts at 9:30 AM. Sponsored by Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom L'ilui Nishmas Maurice H. Rosenbloom, A"H. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 2, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Yoetzet Halacha – Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill April 27 – 28. She will be speaking after the KMS Youth Minyan on Shabbos morning and at 5:00 PM Shabbos afternoon, for women only, at the home of Sarah Sandberg, 1009 South Belgrade Rd. Contact Bracha directly to set up a time to speak with her: firstname.lastname@example.org and Naomi Carmel with any other questions: email@example.com
Personal Safety During the Tahara – Caring for the Living While Caring for the Departed – Men's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington presents a free training session. Open to the entire Jewish Community. Taught by Ms. Ellie Barbarash, MS, CPEA. Sunday, April 29, 9:30 AM – Noon at KMS. Learn the risks of injury, infection and disease attendant to performing a Tahara and learn how to protect yourself against the risks. Note: This training will not cover when or how to perform a Tahara. Reservations requested but not required. If you plan to attend or if you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
DC Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman on "The Duty to Save a Life: Scope and Parameters", Monday, April 30, 12 Noon, at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP. RSVP required to email@example.com
Parenting With a Plan – YGW Boys Division invites the community to the third session of a free 3-part series on parenting adolescents with Rabbi Akiva Sutofsky, LPC, M.S. Mental Health Counseling & YGW Yeshiva Gedolah Alumnus. Monday, April 30, at 8:00 PM, YGW Boys Campus: "Juggling Chainsaws" – Parenting Strategies that Actually Work. RSVP or for more info: Mr. Shlomo Berman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-649-7077 x1525
Lag B'omer Celebration – Thursday, May 3, 5:15 PM – 7:15 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. BBQ, games, moon bounce, music and treats – fun for children and adults of all ages. Food will be available for sale, preorders accepted at www.mjbha.org
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on Thursday, May 3, Lag Ba'omer, at Style Salon and again the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email email@example.com with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
"The Q" Trivia with NCSY – Join Greater Washington NCSY and the Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, May 6th for a fun night out to support NCSY! RSVP today at atsncsy.org/q or by calling (410)358-6279 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Berman Hebrew Academy's 74th Anniversary Celebration honoring Debra Panitch and Bob & Pat Hynes. Thursday, May 24 at 7:15 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. To RSVP visit www.mjbha.org/events For more information email email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday April 29 Monday April 30 Tuesday May 1 Wednesday May 2 Thursday, May 3 – Lag B'omer Friday May 4
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:16 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 4 – 5, 2018 – 20 Iyar 5778
Light Candles by 7:45 – Havdalah 8:49
* Light Candles by 7:45, and not before 6:36
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:20 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:49
Sunday, April 29 Global Good Deeds Day, 11:00 AM, Kemp Mill Park
Monday, April 30 Basic Colors, 1:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Wednesday, May 2 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 2 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager