Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 5 – 6, 2020 – 14 Sivan 5780 – Parshas Nasso
Light Candles by 8:13 – Havdalah 9:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387
* Florence Binstock Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Ella Rachel, born to parents Sara & Yisroel Shulman. Mazal Tov also to great-aunt & uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and to all of the family.
* Lucy & Bernie Blitzstein on the birth of a grandson, Nathan Isaac, born to their children Dana & Steven Blitzstein of Highland Park, IL. Mazal Tov also to big sister Betty.
* Esther Edeson on the graduation of her grandson, Max Edeson, son of Nathan & Helene Edeson, from Columbia University with a BS in Biochemistry. Mazal Tov to the entire Edeson & Stern families.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Akiva Greengart, son of Leah & Avi Greengart of Teaneck, NJ.
* Lea & Paul Lieberman on the graduation of their grandchildren from their respective schools: Jason Lieberman from Cornell University, Summa Cum Laude; Daniel Brandsdorfer from Georgia Tech; Jennifer Lieberman from Katz Yeshiva HS, Boca Raton; Jessica Brandsdorfer from Quince Orchard HS.
* Marion & Fred Miller on the marriage of their daughter, Adena Rivka, to Eiden Tal, son of Chaya Tal & Yoseph Yishai Hilsen of Albany, NY. Mazal Tov to Adena’s grandparents, Annie & Ted Parker and Eva Miller. Mazal Tov to all of Adena & Eiden’s siblings and extended family.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before Plag, 6:58
Ashkenazi: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:38 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:58 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 8:10 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Shabbos ends: 9:20
* Planning for Shul reopening has begun. Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shul-reopening/ for more details.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday 9:00 AM/Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Chumash Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom I.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers.
* Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom H.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org – Zoom A.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, "A Second Look- Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 269 840 3648, password 8tCqF6
Zoom I: ID: 834 8407 1267, password RabbiHyatt
YISE Programs and Listings
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Free Webinars on Job Search – 12 Steps to a Successful Job Search (free self-paced tutorial from Montgomery College). For more information, go to: https://www.ed2go.com/mcdistance/online-courses/twelve-steps-to-successful-job-search-self-paced-free/
Webinar for Recent College Graduates – JobAssist, the Kemp Mill-based initiative to help job seekers, is assessing interest in a Zoom presentation for recent college graduates. If you are interested, please email David Marwick at email@example.com
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Capital Kosher Pantry – Due to the closure of schools and shuls, the usual steady flow of food donations to the Capital Kosher Pantry has significantly decreased. We're greatly in need of the following very popular food products: Canned white tuna and salmon, sardines, plastic bottles of grape juice, pizza sauce, Near East brand rice mixes, crackers, cereal, whole grain and regular pasta (not spaghetti), Nature's Bakery fig bars. Please purchase these items from any store and then deposit them in one of our donation bins locations:
* In front of: YISE, KMS, Woodside Shul
* In Shalom Kosher, at the front of the store, or in Moti's Market, near the store entrance
* In front of the Capital Kosher Pantry – 1910 University Blvd., West, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
You can also purchase items online at Target, Amazon, Walmart and elsewhere and arrange shipment directly to Capital Kosher Pantry. Our online wishlist is at https://www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist.html Financial donations to Capital Kosher Pantry are always welcome too. We thank you for your continued generosity and Tizku L'Mitzvot! The Capital Kosher Pantry Team
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time.
Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time.
Mincha was scheduled for June 7 – 11 at 8:20 PM (Ashkenazi)/8:15 PM (Sephardi).
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
June 12 – 13, 2020 – 21 Sivan 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 8:16
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 10 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current inability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrtzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor.
Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Shiur
* Steve Kalin for a Refuah Shleimah for Leah bas Risa
* Judy & Dr. David Marwick in memory of Avraham ben HaRav Osher Nissan HaLevi
* Louis & Judy Morris to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Louis's mother, Esther Beila bas Shlomo Yoseph, on the eighth of Sivan
* Jay Rogal and Debbie Rogal in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of Jay's mother and Debbie's grandmother, Belle Rogal
* Barbara Price and Family to wish a Happy Birthday to Elliot Goodman
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday morning Musar Shiur
* Diana & Dr. Leonard Ruchelman in memory of Diana's father, Fred Hoffberger, Shlomo Yaakov ben Yosef, Z"L
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday morning Nach Shiur
* Chava & Howard Kern to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Chava's mother, Nechama Leah bas Aryeh, Z"L
* Rose & Izzy Miller in memory of their parents, Selma & Harris Miller and Marguerite & Rabbi Manfred Wimer Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday night women's Navi Shiur
* Chava & Howard Kern to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Chava's mother, Nechama Leah bas Aryeh, Z"L
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of Bev Morris & Art Boyars in gratitude for all they do for the YISE and the Eruv
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart in honor of their grandson Akiva Greengart's Bar Mitzvah
* Chanah & Joseph Hollander to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Chanah's father, Chaim ben Yehuda Leib, Z"L
* Eva & Isaac Moses in honor of the Yahrtzeits of their grandparents, Leah bas Shneur Zalman and Yitzchak ben Naftali, Z"L
* Lee & Craig Oppenheim on the Yahrzeit of Craig's father, Yaakov ben Hershel on the 11th of Sivan and Lee's Mother Chana Raizel bas Avraham HaLevi on 16th of Sivan, Z"L