Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 26-27, 2013 – 20 Av 5773 – Parshas Eikev
Light Candles by 8:07 (and not before 6:56) – Havdalah 9:10
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser on the occasion of the Yahrzeit of her father, Avrahom Ben Yitchok Tvi Hakohain, Z"L, and as a Tzaischem Leshalom to her children and grandchildren, Moshe, Shira, Avi, Ayelet, and Shoshana as they make Aliyah.
- Light Candles by 8:07, and not before 6:56
- Mincha 6:45 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15, 8:10
- Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
- Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 8:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
- Maariv/Havdalah 9:10
- 8:00 & 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
- Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group" in honor of Chaim Fruchter for his years of exceptional Laining and dedication to the Hashkama Minyan.
- 8 AM Minyan – Hannah & Mitchell Carl in honor of the Aufruf and forthcoming marriage of their son Binyamin to Elisheva Bresler.
- 8:45 Main Minyan – The Merzel family in honor of Sammy's Bar Mitzvah.
- R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
- Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur on break until August 10.
- Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
- Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
- Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:05 PM.
- Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:05 PM.
- Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:35 PM.
- Rabbi Reuven Spolter – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
- Rabbi Reuven Kasierer – Shiur after Mincha at University.
- Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony. Shiur will resume on Sunday, July 28.
- Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall. Shiur will resume on Tuesday, July 30.
- Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesdays after Maariv, will start with an introductory meeting on Tuesday, July 30.
- Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, July 31.
- Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, July 31.
- Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Program will resume on Tuesday, August 13.
- Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, August 21.
Greater Washington Community Kollel:
- Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Shiur will resume on Sunday, August 11.
- Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Shiur will resume on Thursday, August 15.
- Debbie & Marc Katz on the engagement of their son Ezra to Nechama Berlove, daughter of Janet & Rabbi Moshe Berlove of Cincinnati. Mazal Tov to the siblings Sara & Josh, Rafi and Benjy Katz and nephews Zachy and Arik Katz.
- Anne Merzel and Shiffie & Yoni Merzel on Sammy's Bar Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to his sister Devorah, grandparents Freyda & Jeffrey Schneider, Sharon Merzel, Agi & Leon Goldenberg and to the great grandmother, Roslyn Eichen.
- Marilyn & Don Schwartz on the birth of a grandson, Akiva Raam, born to their children, Adina & Eitan Kastner of Teaneck, NJ.
- Stephanie Savir and family on the passing of their husband and father, Etan Savir. The funeral was held this week. Shiva will be held through Sunday morning at their home, 11203 Healy Street.
YISE Programs and Listings:
Guest Speaker – This Shabbos at Arcola, between Mincha and Maariv, Rabbi Reuven Spolter, a product of our community who currently lives in Israel and works for Tzohar, will give a talk on "The Religious State of Israel Today: Challenges and Opportunities."
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
New Men's Shiur Starting – Oops, that was the Fleishig serving spoon you just used in the lasagna! Is dinner ruined?! A new Halacha Chabura is forming that will help you understand the answers to this and many other questions. Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead the Chabura, which will meet once a week after Maariv, to review materials provided by Yeshiva Pirchei Shoshanim. For more details, please contact Seth Jacobson at HalachaChabura@yise.org. An introductory meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 30.
Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day! Sunday, August 18 at YISE. 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Sheitels, Tichels, Hats, Women's And Girls' Jewelry, Make-Up, Hand-Painted Yarmulkes, and more. Including: Lena's Sheitels, Judith De Paris Hairwear, Asbury Hats, Kinderkrafts Jewelry, Mary Kay Cosmetics
Job Assist Events:
Computer Training Online – Intermediate Excel and Dreamweaver, both Monday, July 29. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
A Youth/Family Seudah Shlishis will be held on August 3 in the Arcola social hall at 5:20 PM, following the 5:00 Mincha.
Community Programs and Listings:
Mazal Tov to Thiya (Subar) & Eliezar Nevies of Jerusalem on the upcoming marriage of their daughter Hanella Rachel to Shalom Simcha Dumas. Hanella is the granddaughter of the late longtime and much beloved members of our shul and community, Shulamit & Elyakum Subar, Z"L. Mazal tov to the entire Subar and Nevies families!
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute Presents:
- Nine Ways of Understanding Tefillos That Seem to Go Unanswered – Rebbetzin Nechama Karlinsky, Wednesday, July 31, Southeast Hebrew Congregation at 8:00 PM. Tuition $10. Women only.
- A Woman's Ticket to Eternity: Discover Your Inner Strengths – Mrs. Chana Silver, Sunday, July 28, Southeast Hebrew Congregation at 8:00 PM. Tuition $10. Women only.
For more information visit www.mesorahwomenslearninginstitute.com or contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347 or email@example.com.
Summer Boutique this Sunday at University Towers! Sunday July 28,3:30 PM – 8:00 PM, 1111 University Blvd. West on the Penthouse Floor. Whether you are looking ahead for Yom Tov gifts or shopping for yourself, there will be something for everyone at our first annual Summer Boutique: Arbonne, A Thing of Beauty: Handcrafted Jewelry & Gifts, Second Life Consignment, Javita Coffee Company. Questions? Please contact Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-904-7449.
Science Has Discovered G-d – Even Atheists Agree! Does science confirm or challenge the existence of G-d? Join renowned lecturer Dr. Gerald Schroeder as he demonstrates how the "force" discovered by cosmologists that created our magnificent universe has the identical characteristics as the G-d of the Bible. Indeed, science has truly discovered G-d. Wednesday, July 31 at 7:30 PM at the Aish Center, 11418 Old Georgetown Rd., Admission: $15 with advance registration, $20 at the door, $10 for Aish members For more information please visit www.aishdc.org.
Join the SEED Guys! The Yeshiva of Greater Washington, together with Torah Umesorah, is excited to bring to the community a summer learning and activity program. Through August 2. For boys going into grades 6-11. Davening/ Breakfast: 8:30- 9:45. (Bring your own cereal; milk and paper goods will be provided.) Learning: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Lunch: 12:30 PM (bring your own dairy lunch). Activity: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM: Sports, Swimming, Trip once a week. Cost: FREE (except cost of the trips). The SEED Guys will be available to learn with men and boys in the evenings. A schedule of synagogue placements will be forthcoming. For more information and to sign up contact Rabbi Simcha Merkin at 301-962-5111 ext. 1522 or email@example.com. Program will be held at the YGW Boys Campus.
Save the date and reserve your booth today for the the Beacon 50+ Expo – Thousands of visitors, 100+ exhibitors, keynote speakers, health screenings, live music, giveaways and door prizes. Two dates and locations: Sunday, October 6, Ballston Common Mall, Arlington, VA; and Sunday, October 13, Silver Spring Civic Center, Silver Spring. To Exhibit/Sponsor or for more information, contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-949-9766.
Food Donations – The Yehudah Mond Foundation regularly receives donations of food that have been prepared under reliable supervision for various Simchas. If you are interested in receiving food, please send an email to email@example.com and provide a phone number and email address where you can be reached.
Sunday, July 28 Monday, July 29 Tuesday, July 30 Wednesday, July 31 Thursday, August 1 Friday, August 2Shacharis
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:05 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:12 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
August 2-3, 2013 – 27 Av 5773
Parshas Re'eh – Shabbos Mevorchim
Light Candles by 8:00 – Havdalah 9:02
- Light Candles by 8:00, and not before 6:50
- Mincha 6:40 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:00, 8:00
- Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
- Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 (Sephardi), 7:55 (Arcola and Univ.)
- Maariv/Havdalah 9:02
Shabbos, July 27 Bar Mitzvah of Sammy Merzel, 8:45 Minyan
Shabbos, July 27 Aufruf of Binyamin Carl, 8:00 AM Minyan
Wednesday, August 7 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 31, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director