Assistant Rabbi Application Process
Assistant Rabbi – Young Israel Shomrai Emunah
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah (YISE) is seeking an Assistant Rabbi for its 535-member-family congregation. The Assistant Rabbi will focus on engaging new, younger couples/singles in our community, and developing a connection between them and the shul community. The qualified candidate will bring dynamism and creativity to this role to the benefit of the entire shul. This individual will regularly provide drashos and shiurim and serve as a second and complementary “rabbinic face” at kiddushim, simchas and public events. The shul's Assistant Rabbi Search Committee will facilitate the selection process.
Silver Spring, Maryland is a suburb of Washington, DC and is home to a number of Orthodox Jewish communities. Kemp Mill, the largest of these communities with over 1,000 families, covers a wide range of hashkafos to bring about a welcoming and accepting atmosphere.
Kemp Mill has five main shuls–Young Israel Shomrai Emunah being one of the two largest–and a growing Yeshiva. There are also several informal minyanim. The community has many day school options ranging from daycare and preschool up through high school and post-high Beis Medrash. With a halachically reliable eruv covering the entire Kemp Mill community and surrounding neighborhoods, friendships span across both shuls and schools. Throughout the community there is a broad range of learning opportunities for men and women of all ages. Kemp Mill has a beautiful state-of-the-art mikvah and a keilim mikvah. Kosher food options both directly in the community and surrounding neighborhoods include restaurants, bakeries, food trucks and large kosher supermarkets. In addition to the large county park and bike trail backing up to the community, we boast a beautiful park and multiple playground areas for children. Many housing options – including apartments, townhomes and single family residences – have greatly contributed to the community’s growth from an influx of young singles, couples and families over the past few years.
Kemp Mill is truly a large, growing and vibrant Jewish community!
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah is a large, multi-generational centrist Orthodox shul located in the Kemp Mill neighborhood of Silver Spring, Maryland. We entertain a broad range of American Orthodox hashkafos from modern through yeshivish. We have a strong bond to mesorah and are committed to living a traditional Jewish life, while addressing the concerns of a Jew in the 21st century. We place a strong emphasis both on tefillah and learning. We offer many options for both weekday and Shabbos minyanim (including Ashkenazi, Sephardi and Nusach Sefard) catering to a wide range of demographics, including young professionals and teens. We also offer many daily and Shabbos shiurim and learning-focused programs which touch on a wide range of topics geared towards different skill levels and interests. Under the guidance of our Mara d'Asra, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, and direction of our board of directors, we continuously strive to make our shul a welcoming place that meets both the religious and social needs of our diverse membership.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Rabbi will:
- Act as primary Rabbinic and YISE oversight of the 9:15 minyan.
- Cultivate relationships with young families/individuals to encourage active participation in the minyan.
- Actively contribute to the effort of increasing connection to YISE, and membership among young families/individuals.
- Work very closely with Rabbi Rosenbaum.
- Provide halachic guidance and pastoral counseling under the supervision of Rabbi Rosenbaum for new members of the shul who feel a strong rabbinic connection.
- Attend key YISE functions such as banquets, scholar in residence, lectures, kiddushes, etc.
- Deliver one drasha and one shiur each on Shabbos (mini-shiur to 9:15 minyan).
- Deliver additional shiurim and drashos on Shabbos, Yomim Tovim and Yomim Noraim for the entire congregation.
- Assist Rabbi Rosenbaum in supporting YISE members in a variety of life situations/events such as: visiting home-bound members, visiting shiva houses, attending smachot, etc.
- Play a role in organizing fresh, periodic programming.
- Yoreh Yoreh Semicha (minimum requirement).
- Secular degree: BA/BS or higher.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a demonstrated depth of ability and experience in relating to others with a range of backgrounds:
- In reaching out to others.
- In designing programs.
- In working as part of a team.
- Ability and experience in public speaking including delivering drashos and classes.
- Skill in leading shiurim.
- A range and depth of personal interests.
- Availability Summer 2021
Hours, Pay and Benefits
- Position is part-time; 20-25 hours per week is estimated. While YISE cannot guarantee the Assistant Rabbi supplemental employment within the community, shul leadership may offer networking contacts and other suggestions if requested.
- Moving allowance of up to $3,000.
- Salary range is dependent on qualifications and experience. Part of this salary is designated as parsonage. Consult with your tax advisor for details on this.
- Two-year contract is required.
- Health and retirement benefits are not included.
- Two weeks of paid vacation is included.
- Hospitality allowance is provided, as the contract will require inviting members for Shabbos/Yom Tov meals twice per month at the Assistant Rabbi's residence.
- Cell phone allowance
- Applications will be reviewed by the Rabbi and Search Committee. The Search Committee will contact applicants directly for follow-up. We will invite final applicants to spend a Shabbos at YISE in the spring.
- Applications will be reviewed as received. We ask that all applications be received no later than December 31, 2020.
- YISE plans to make a final selection by May 6, 2021.
Please provide the following:
- Resume and cover letter addressing each of the items listed under requirements.
- A list of contactable references, with contact information.
- A video recording (3-5 minutes) delivering a Dvar Torah.
Please email all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application” in the subject line.