The Young Israel Shomrai Emunah (YISE) Nursery School of Silver Spring, located in Silver Spring, Maryland, seeks a Director for its pre-school. Shomrai Nursery is dedicated to facilitating the spiritual, educational, emotional and physical development of preschool aged children in the Silver Spring Orthodox Jewish community. Using the most current and research-based educational information, our mission is to work with every individual child to maximize his or her joy and wonder during these years of exponential growth and development. YISE is seeking an applicant with experience in the field of early childhood education who is knowledgeable about developmentally appropriate practice. We have an enrollment of 66 students with a strong potential for increased enrollment.
The Nursery School Director is responsible for the coordination and supervision of the Nursery School educational program. This includes responsibility for the implementation of YISE policies, organization, and school administration – including participation in planning, enrollment, classification of students, and maintenance of educational records. The Director’s responsibilities reasonably include all that is required for the daily operation of the school (e.g., ordering supplies, such as art equipment or food items).
The major areas of responsibility include enrollment, finances, office and school administration, personnel and performance evaluations.
- Must meet basic requirements of local child care regulatory agency.
- Ability to relate positively to young children.
- Previous teaching, assistant teaching, or administrative position with a public or private school system, preschool, or child care center.
- Knowledge of Jewish tradition, ritual, culture, and holidays.
- Strong communication skills.
Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
Previous experience and/or current skills must include: ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team; demonstrated leadership qualities; ability to build a cohesive team; knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices and programming; ability to articulate influences of Judaic culture and the Reggio Emilia-inspired approach to classroom educators and parents; ability to organize classroom environment and experiences with Judaic culture and the Reggio, Constructivist, Child-centered Learning principles in mind; sensitivity to cultural differences; ability to create a positive and harmonious workplace; ability to understand individual leadership and learning styles and their influence on the well-being of the classroom team and climate of YISE Nursery School.
- Oversees all aspects of management of early childhood programs and staff.
- Coordinates with the Nursery School Committee, YISE Board of Directors, parent-teacher association, and synagogue senior staff to develop early childhood center policies.
- Supervises staff, including recruiting, hiring and dismissal, training, observation, mentoring, and evaluation.
- Develops new programming to strengthen our constructivist outlook; explores and utilizes community resources that will enhance programming; continues to seek out and participate in new programming opportunities.
- Develops and oversees curriculum and implements best early childhood practices.
- Maintains contact with local elementary schools to ensure that curriculum is in accordance with requirements for kindergarten.
- Provides professional development to enhance staff skills.
- Works in partnership with committee chairs, to include overseeing any fund-raising efforts.
- Develops positive parent-school relations through programming including, but not limited to, open houses, back to school night, and parent meetings.
- Is responsible for the overall supervision and daily class functions of the school
- Observes all rules and regulations of the local, state, and national regulatory agencies pertaining to the health, safety and care of children.
- Develops and oversees financial management and budgeting.
- Oversees operations to meet or exceed all state licensing requirements and staff credentialing through MD Excels.
- Networks and represents the school in the community and at conferences; participates in the Jewish Federation Early Childhood Directors’ Council.
- Creates publicity about the school and related topics.
- Reviews and updates handbooks for parents and staff.
- Makes observations of children and meets with parents and other professionals as needed to screen for special needs.
- Markets and drives enrollment.
Job Requirements upon Employment:
- Must meet all local, state, and national basic health requirements as well as other requirements.
- First Aid training, as required.
- Must complete all necessary company employment and payroll forms.
- Personnel will have a fingerprinting and criminal investigation report completed
For questions or to apply (resume and cover letter), please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted through December 15, 2017.