Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 24-27, 2014 – 1-3 Tishrei 5775
Rosh Hashanah / Parshas Ha'azinu – Shabbos Shuvah
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Erev Rosh Hashanah, Wednesday, September 24:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 6:43
* Mincha 6:45 (All locations)
First Day Rosh Hashanah, Thursday, Sept. 25:
* Shacharis 7:30, (8:00 Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:45 Nusach Sefard)
* Mincha & Tashlich 6:15 (6:00 Sephardi)
* Maariv 7:35 (All locations)
* Light Candles/Kiddush after 7:40
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Rosh Hashanah, Friday, Sept. 26:
* Shacharis 7:30, 8:00 (Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00 (9:45 Nusach Sefard)
September 26-27, 2014 – 3 Tishrei 5775
Parshas Ha'azinu – Shabbos Shuvah
* Light Candles by 6:40
* Mincha: 6:40 (All locations) Sephardi: 6:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 8:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
Arcola: 2:30, 6:00 University: 5:40
Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:37
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Drasha after Mincha at Arcola (6:30)
* Sandy & Rabbi Hal Axelrod on the birth of a grandson, Yosef Chaim, to their children, Eve & Yechiel Davis of Far Rockaway. Mazal Tov also to siblings, Nechama Leah and Ovadyah Boruch.
* See the Week Ahead on back for remainder of schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Tzom Gedaliah Schedule
Sunday, September 28
* Fast Begins 5:42
* Early Mincha 1:30 (Arcola)
* Mincha 6:20 (Arcola)
* Maariv 7:10 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 7:36
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Halachos of Building a Sukkah." Visit www.yise.org/shiurim for archives of Together-for-5 and recorded Shiurim of Rav Anemer, ZT"L.
Pre-Yom Kippur Shiur – Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Community Shiur for Men and Women with Rav Ahron Lopiansky. Tuesday, September 30. Shiur at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
High Holiday Preparations:
* Babysitting for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is completely full.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – As a fundraiser for the shul, YISE will sell Lulavim and Esrogim through Elli Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the Shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 29.
* Sukkos Hospitality – If anyone is in need of Sukkos hospitality or is interested in hosting those without a Sukkah, please contact Rachelli Simon and Tuvia Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
* As in past years, we anticipate a wonderful night of celebration on Simchas Torah. Please consider making a donation of $18, $36, or more to the YISE Simchas Torah Evening Celebration and food festivities. Please send your checks to the Shul office or pay on the Shul website with the notation "Youth Simchas Torah." Contact email@example.com for more information.
* Simchas Torah Kiddush – Join the YISE Social Committee in celebrating Simchas Torah with the YISE annual Simchas Torah Kiddush following services on October 17. Help sponsor our Kiddush: $100/$50/$36/$18. Volunteers needed to: Set up/Serve/Clean up. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Help Erect the Shul Sukkah – Please participate in a Mitzvah, Sunday, October 5, at 10:00 AM. Bring a 3/16" allen wrench, if you have one. Contact Stuart Cohen at 301-943-5153.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, October 6, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – This Sunday, September 28, the programming will be replaced by a lecture from Rabbi Zakem on the topic of "Teshuva and Fasting on Yom Kippur." The lecture will take place in the Beis Medrash at 10:15 AM The next meeting of the Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn will be October 26.
A Taste of Shabbos – In conjunction with "The Shabbos Project" on Parshas Noach, October 24/25, YISE will have a special program, "A Taste of Shabbos" in Kemp Mill. Our programming will be geared towards two goals: introducing less observant Jews to, and elevating our own spirituality and meaning for, Shabbos. We are pleased to welcome Simcha Leiner for this Shabbos to lead a spirited Davening Friday night and at the 8:45 Minyan Shabbos morning. We hope our members will avail themselves of the opportunities this Shabbos will provide for Ruach, both in prayer and at other gatherings and reflection, through special Drashos and Shiurim, offered throughout the Shabbos. Esti Strauss has agreed to head the committee that will be making arrangements for this Shabbos. Thank G-d, we have many programs planned with many ways to help. If you are interested in being of assistance, please contact Esti at firstname.lastname@example.org We plan to provide an inspiring Shabbos for all, with long reaching impact, and an opportunity to connect in a more meaningful way with others, both in our community and beyond. More information will be provided over the coming weeks.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – will resume on October 28.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow – Special lecture by Rav Ahron Lopiansky – Regular program will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men will meet on Wednesday, October 1 at 7:25 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos and will resume on Sukkos.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. There are no groups for 1st-4th graders this Shabbos. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of long time YISE member Malka Groner. The funeral was held on Friday. Shiva was held in Columbus, OH.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – Shabbos afternoon, 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will resume after Succos on October 22.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp-Mill-based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation supplements its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at www.tomcheishabbosgw.com
* The Franco Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mikvah Emunah Society is looking for volunteers to collect money and ensure decorum on Erev Yom Kippur. We are looking for men to volunteer between 30 minutes to 1 hour, between 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Interested people should contact Craig Simon at email@example.com
Mikvah Hours for Men on Erev Yom Kippur:
* Kemp Mill (Wallerstein Mikvah) : 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM
* Woodside (Ballard St.) : 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Students at Yeshiva of Greater Washington are available to help build your sukka. Place your request early with Rabbi Hes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-649-7077, ext. 1528
Job Assist Events:
Hebrew Free Loan Association of Greater Washington – It's a New Year. New challenges. Old problems. Same solutions? Maybe not. Contact us: 301-770-4836, info@HebrewFreeLoanDC.org or www.hebrewfreeloandc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Sept. 28 – Tzom Gedaliah Monday, September 29 Tuesday, September 30 Wednesday, October 1 Thursday, October 2 Friday, Oct. 3 – Erev Yom Kippur
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:15, 6:35, 7:15, 8:15
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 6:45 5:20 5:30 5:30 5:20 5:30
Arcola 6:35 6:35 6:35 6:35 6:35 See Yom Kippur schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:15 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:59 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:29 PM
Yom Kippur Schedule
October 3-4, 2014 – 10 Tishrei 5775
Erev Yom Kippur, Friday, October 3:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 6:29
* Kol Nidre 6:30
Yom Kippur, Shabbos, October 4:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 11:00 (10:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:26
Wednesday, October 1 Senior Lunch, 12:00 noon, Arcola Rosa Weinstein will speak on Jewish Humor
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Wednesday, October 1, 8:00 PM
YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
Like YISE on Facebook:
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 1 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director