Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 6-7, 2015 – 18 Shevat 5775 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:16 – Havdalah 6:18
* Light Candles by 5:16
Arcola: 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:15 University: 5:15 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:18
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Masha & Seth Katz and family in honor of Hershel's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Masha & Seth Katz on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Hershel. Mazal Tov also to his brothers, Yisrael and Meir, to his grandfathers, Howard Katz and Isaac Silberberg, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom and Debbie & Shaul Sladowsky on the marriage of their children, Yael & Chaim, which took place in Israel. Mazal Tov to Chaim's grandfather, Henry Sandler, and to the entire family.
YISE Programs and Listings
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Next Weekend – Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, February 14, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Is It Ever A Bad Idea To Emulate G-d? Exploring Jewish Perspectives on Genetic Engineering – Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invite men and women to a Jewish Ethics Lecture Series presented by Rabbi Yitzi Weiner, Scholar-in-Residence, Rosh Kollel of the Community Kollel of Sharon, Massachusetts, prolific author and dynamic lecturer. Sunday, February 15, 9:30 AM at YISE.
Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part II of a two-part refresher course on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM, in the YISE Beis Medrash. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
Megillas Esther: Why the Slow Beginning? – Women's Pre-Purim Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, February 15, 8:30 PM at the home of Bassie Katz, 11524 Charlton Drive.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, March 1
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller, Steve Resnick, and
Youth Honorees: Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Very Dynamic Shiur given this Shabbos by Rabbi Mittelman at 4:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Marion Baras, 1121 University Blvd. W., Apt. 906.
A Midsummer Night's Texas-Sized Nightmare by Burton Bumgarner – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy Middle School HADAS. BHA, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Saturday, February 7, 8:15 PM and Sunday, February 8, 4:00 PM. Tickets: Students/Seniors $3.00, Adults $5.00. For more information contact Abby Rose at email@example.com or Aliza Graber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Women's Wellness Series Workshop: A Practical Spiritual Toolbox for the 21st Century Woman Conducted by Israela Meyerstein, LCSW-C, LCMFT. February 8, 10:00 AM -11:30 AM in Kemp Mill. For more information or to register, visit www.bikurcholimgw.org, contact email@example.com or 202-331-4481.
TSGW 12th Annual Auction – Sunday, February 8, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. You do not need to be there to win! Those who make reservations in advance will receive $15 worth of free auction tickets at the event! Reservations or to order online, visit tsgwauction.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Silver Spring is Starting Mesechta Yevamos this Monday, February 9 – The shiur covers 2.5 Daf a week. In Kemp Mill, we meet at the Boys Yeshiva. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM to 6:30 AM) with Rabbi Eli Reingold or in the evening (9:00 PM to 10:00 PM) with Rabbi Ranon Cortell and Reb Pinchas Werner. There is an optional review shiur at 6:30 AM on Sunday mornings with Rabbi Reingold. Every 4th week is for review/catchup. Chavrusos are available.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Spiritual Healing from the Torah (EmunaHealing), The Healing Power of the Shema Yisrael – Shiur for Women. Tuesday, February 17, 7:30 PM, at the home of Bracha Melman, 512 Northwest Drive. Suggested donation $36 or whatever you can afford. Contact Devorah Miller 301-622-1527 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Golden Network has expanded its services to offer home-based musical performances to Seniors. TGN also offers a variety of other programs, including classes, lectures, one on one learning and friendship visits in Montgomery County. For more information contact (301)338-4810 or email@example.com
A Pre-Purim Kumzits for Women – Back by popular demand! Please join us for a nice, relaxing, spiritually uplifting evening just for women. Saturday night, February 21, 8:00 PM, at the home of Nancy & Pesach Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Light refreshments will be served.
The Shabbos Goy: The Concept and the Halachah – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah presents a community Yom Iyun for men. Sunday, February 22, Davening at 8:00 AM, Breakfast at 9:00 AM and the Program at 9:30 AM. YGW Boys Campus. To RSVP or for questions contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Help! Balancing Sibling Relationships Between High and Low(er) Maintenance Children – Presented by SULAM, with speaker Avidan Milevsky, PhD, clinician, author and researcher on sibling relationships. In honor of Jewish Disability Awareness Month. Sunday, February 22, at YISE Social Hall, 7:45 PM. Admission is free. For more information, please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ultimate Kindness – Chevra Kadisha is called the ultimate good deed, Chesed Shel Emet, as the recipient cannot return the favor. The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot. Opportunities are available daily and volunteers from throughout the region are welcome. For more information or to volunteer, contact: For Women's Division – Devorah Grayson, 202-438-7060. For Men's Division: (301) 593-1193 or email@example.com
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs (1) 10 Steps to a Federal Job, Tuesday, February 10, 12:00 noon to 12:30 PM. (2) 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, Wednesday, February 11, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. These are presented live and are not recorded. To register, www.resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 8 Monday, February 9 Tuesday, February 10 Wednesday, February 11 Thursday, February 12 Friday, February 13
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:14 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 13-14, 2015 – 25 Shevat 5775
Parshas Mishpatim / Parshas Shekalim
Light Candles by 5:24 – Havdalah 6:25
* Light Candles by 5:24
Arcola: 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:25
Shabbos, February 7 Bar Mitzvah of Hershel Katz
Shabbos, February 14 Bar Mitzvah of Sholom Kott
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 14 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, February 15 Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women
Like YISE on Facebook:
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 11 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director