Download the November 30 – December 1 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 30 – December 1, 2012 – Parshas Vayishlach – 17 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:28
* Mincha 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:30
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Dr. Ranon Cortell
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Geoffrey Rosenbloom, Dr. Marc Katz and Michael Hourwitz in memory of their parents; to commemorate the 1st Yahrtzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; and the 2nd Yahrtzeits of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; Maurice Rosenbloom, Moshe Heshel B"R Chaim Ben Zion; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; and Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Judy & Zevi Mehlman, in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son Moshe David.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharis.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Josh Blaustein – Shiur after Mincha at University.
DON'T GET TOWED! DON'T PARK IN OUR OLD LOT!
Starting this Friday night, Parkland Pool will be closing the gate to their parking lot. YISE members must park by Ben Yehuda, not by Parkland pool, or risk being towed. Details are available at: http://www.yise.org/parking-2012.pdf
* Sarah & Emil Braun on the birth of a grandson Shimon Yehuda Braun, to their children, Devorah Chana & Rafi Braun of Beitar Illit. Also Mazal Tov to the aunt & uncle, Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum.
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart on the birth of a grandson born to their children Leah & Avi Greengart of Teaneck, NJ.
* Judy & Zevi Mehlman on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Moshe David. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents, Jack Mehlman and Muriel & Bernard Alexander, also to his siblings, Chani & Devorah & to all the aunts & uncles, cousins & friends who are here to celebrate this simcha.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade will NOT meet this week; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
* YISE Youth presents: Paintball for Boys 8th-12th grade, Sunday December 2, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM. Cost:$21, includes: gear, gun, and paintballs. Space is limited. RSVP to email@example.com or 347-613-6367. Details, including transportation & clothing requirements, will be sent to those that sign up.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us for the important and relevant topic of "The Mitzva of Lending and Prohibition of Interest: Common Issues." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Morning services at University Blvd. on Shabbos, December 1, will be suspended to enable people to attend Moshe Mehlman's Bar Mitzvah at the Arcola Avenue Main Minyan. Friday Mincha/Kabbalas Shabbos on November 30, and Shabbos Mincha/Maariv on December 1 will take place as usual at University Blvd.
Cholim lists will be redone – Any name not emailed or called in again by Thursday, Dec. 6 will not be included in the new list. Names shall be given to Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465, ext. 402 or email@example.com.
The Haimish Kiddush Group is starting its fourth year in 2013. The Group would like to invite you to join us in this wonderful endeavor. The cost to become a member is $100. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chanukah Toy Drive – YISE Sisterhood is collecting toys to benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for distribution to local patients, with a percentage going from our community to Hurricane Sandy victims in NJ and NY. New, unwrapped toys can be put in the marked box in the YISE lobby. For more information contact Stephanie Frumkin at SFrumkin@yise.org. Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Community Service Day – Join us on December 2 from 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM. Sponsored by YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA. Limited to 20. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History- "How the Siddur developed over the years," Monday, December 3, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Assist Events:
* Beyond LinkedIn – Out-of-the-Box Ways to Market Yourself. Ronnie Baras will explain the benefits of a blog, personal website, and YouTube. Monday, Dec. 3, 7:30 PM-9:00 PM, YISE. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Speed Networking – Brand and Promote Yourself in Minutes! A quick, structured and focused opportunity to meet those who can propel your career and business. Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7:00 PM-8:30 PM, 2200 Baltimore Road, Rockville. Info and register (required) at www.jssa.org.
* 3 Steps to Your Best Job Ever – Learn the simple approach to quickly land the right job. Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7:00 PM-8:30 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to Adir Aronovich on the passing of his mother, Hanna Blume Aranovich. Funeral and Shiva were held this week.
B'nei Akiva Snif this week is from 3:00 PM – 4:20 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 2:30.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, December 1, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
Citrus Sale – Yeshiva of Greater Washington boys division, senior class, is selling fresh citrus straight from the grove to you! Help build up your immune system while helping them raise funds for their trip to Israel. Deadline to order is December 2. Contact Aryeh Broth at 301-509-7676 or email@example.com for more information.
Children's Book Fair and Chanukah Boutique presented by the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy, School of Fine Arts. December 2, 11:00 AM-4:00 PM, 1401 Arcola Avenue. To participate as a vendor or for more information, contact 301-592-8433 or Director@lbja.org.
Candlelight Vigil for Alan Gross – Sunday, December 2, 5:00 PM, outside the Cuban Interests Section (2630 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC) to mark the 3rd anniversary of the unjust incarceration of Alan Gross in Cuba. A significant media presence is expected, as is Congressman Van Hollen. Organized by the JCRC of Greater Washington.
Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy, School of Fine Arts Open House – Wednesday, December 5, 2012 from 7:00 PM-9:00 PM, at the home of Mindy & Noam Levin, 512 Ridgewell Way. Please RSVP at LBJA Office 301-592-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Chanukah Lecture for Women – Greater Washington Community Kollel Sisterhood invites the women of the community to a special Chanukah lecture by acclaimed speaker Shifra Rabenstein – "Chanukah-Lighting up the Darkness". Wednesday, December 5, at the GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Dr. at 8:30 PM
Chanukah – Jewish Aspirations – by Rabbi Shmuel Leigh, Thursday, December 6, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00 AM, Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah, 9001 Georgia Ave. Silver Spring. For more information contact The Golden Network: 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
Krispy Kreme Doughnut Sale in honor of Chanukah by the LBJA.Doughnuts must be ordered by Friday, December 7. Pickup will be at the LBJA, 1401 Arcola Ave., 10:00 AM-4:00 PM on Monday, December 10. Call the LBJA at 301-592-8433 to order.
Bazaar for Hurricane Sandy Victims – December 9, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM, JCC of Greater Washington, 6125 Montrose Road, Rockville, Organized by the students of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington, Girls Division. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has written his second book in a series dealing with the Jewish holidays. This book is about Chanukah and is written in English. Please contact Faith Ginsburg at email@example.com if you'd like to purchase a copy.
Camp Marabu, a traveling camp that takes boys, ages 13-16, out west on an exciting adventure through the world of Hashem's beautiful creations, has opened registration for the summer of 2013. For more information, visit http://www.campmarabu.com or contact Rabbi Raphael Mendlowitz at: 301-928-0646 or 301-681-3411.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service points may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
December 2 December 3 December 4 December 5 December 6 December 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos Schedule
University 4:35 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)\
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:18 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:33 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:31 PM
Begin to say Vesain Tal Umatar Livracha at Maariv on Tuesday, Dec. 4.
December 7-8, 2012
Parshas Vayeshev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
24 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:30 – followed by Chanukah candles
Tuesday, Dec. 4 YISE Board of Directors meeting, 7:30 PM
Wednesday, Dec. 5 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12:00 Noon
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 8 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, Dec. 9 YISE Youth – Annual Chanukah Party
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Dec. 5, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director