Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 20-21, 2015 – 1 Nissan 5775
Parshas Vayikra – Parshas HaChodesh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:01 – Havdalah 8:01
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker.
* Light Candles by 7:01
Arcola: 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:01
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Broder family in honor of Alan's birthday.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a new great-granddaughter, Sara Barzel. Parents are Esti & Natan Barzel of Modiin. Mazal Tov also to great-aunt and uncle, Karen & Howard Schulman and the entire Mishpocha.
* Eva & Ben Bazian on the engagement of their son Sam to Jessica Kowitz, daughter of Edna & Ervin Kowitz of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to siblings, Shoshana & Doni Moskowitz, Zachary and Rebecca, Sara Bazian and Shira Bazian.
* Arly & Rami Mandelbaum on the birth of a son. The Shalom Zachor will be at 9:30 PM at their home, 809 Hillsboro Drive.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Sharon Freundel, Lana & Victor Jacobson, Suri & Lt. Eric Kinzbrunner, Naama & Meir Ofri, Wendy & Oren Penn, Ms. Tali Bitton & Mr. Alon Shvo, Ester & Oded Tapiro.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "The Experience of the Jews in Egypt." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, and Haggadahs – Adults-only event run by YISE Youth to help parents/grandparents learn new ways to enhance the Seder experience for their children/grandchildren, while enjoying a night out with BBQ. Sunday, March 22, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Social Hall. $10 per person, payable at the door. Please see the flyer on the electronic board and RSVP to email@example.com
Dedicate a Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication of the two recently installed stained-glass windows. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. Drawing at YISE on April 15. Tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM on April 14. To order tickets, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a check payable to YISE marked "Window raffle"or to pay by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? email@example.com
Annual Yom HaShoah Program – Sunday, April 19, 7:30 PM at YISE. Mr. Isaac Gendelman, who survived during the Holocaust in the woods near his town of Rokitno, Poland, will be this year's featured speaker. Mincha at 7:10 and Maariv to follow program.
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. Only 50% of the sections claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Global Good Deeds Day – Thank you to the 90 volunteers who either cleaned the local parks or clowned around at the Hebrew Home this past Sunday. Yasher koach to everyone.
The 8:45 Main Minyan L'Chaim Group was created to provide a L'Chaim every Shabbos there is a Haimish Kiddush and is financially and operationally separate from the Haimish Kiddush.We are seeking additional sponsors: when making a pledge please ensure that your donation is designated for the L'Chaim Group. Contact Abe Zwany at firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medras – will resume on April 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 15.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Shiur on the Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will resume on April 15.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Please remember to clean out your Talis Boxes before Pesach.
Pre-Pesach Perspectives: Understanding the Connection between Pesach and Shavuos – Shabbos afternoon Shiur for women with Rabbi Silver, Shabbos, March 21, 4:30 PM at the home of Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Avenue.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur will be held on Monday, March 23, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week (more times will be announced next week):
* Sunday, March 22: After 8:00 Shacharis at UNIVERSITY.
* Monday, March 23: After the pre-Pesach class (approximately 9:00 PM) at Arcola.
* Tuesday, March 24: After 6:55 Shacharis.
* Wednesday, March 25: Noon, Arcola Beis Medrash.
* Friday, March 27: After the 6:55 Shacharis.
* Sunday, March 29: After the 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim.
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum, 301-593-4465 ext 405, to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Order deadline was Wednesday, March 18. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, March 25, and Thursday, March 26, from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Hachnosas Orchim – Persons looking for a Seder or looking for guests for their Seder should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the list.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, March 22, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the home of the Maybergs, 411 Hermleigh Road (enter through event doors next to garage). Featuring hats, shells, skirts, tops, leggings, jewelry, serving pieces and Rhonda's Raffles. Contact Rhonda at 301 351-1725 or email@example.com A portion of the proceeds benefit BCGW.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mail to 812 Hyde Court. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chitim."
Food Drive Meets Soaring Need – Our annual Food Drive goes through March 30, benefiting over 500,000 people in our region struggling with hunger. Your donations, which go to the Capital Area Food Bank, also help Jewish individuals and families in our communities to fill their pantries through the Yehuda Mond Foundation, an authorized distributor of the Food Bank. YISE is taking part, along with many other synagogues in the area, and organizations such as our day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to the container outside the Social Hall.
Need Your Car Cleaned for Pesach? Sunday, March 29, 12:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at the Boys Yeshiva, 1216 Arcola Ave., For pricing and more information please contact (443) 852-7524.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 22 Monday, March 23 Tuesday, March 24 Wednesday, March 25 Thursday, March 26 Friday, March 27
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:17 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:06 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
March 27-28, 2015 – 8 Nissan 5775
Parshas Tzav – Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:08 – Havdalah 8:08
* Light Candles by 7:08
Arcola: 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:40 University: 6:20 Sephardi: 6:25 Nusach Sefard: 6:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:08
Sunday, March 22 Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Haggadahs, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Monday, March 23 Basic Colors, 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Monday, March 23 Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur, 8:00 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 25 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director