Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 7-8, 2014 – 6 Adar II 5774 – Parshas Vayikra
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:48
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Kwiat family with Hakarat Hatov to the IDF, especially the Lone Soldiers.
* Light Candles by 5:49
* Mincha 5:50, 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00,
8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:45 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:48
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum- Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver- Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Eileen & Stan Goldschmidt on the birth of a granddaughter to their children, Kara & Jacob Sassoon of Riverdale, NY. Mazal Tov also to the great-grandparents, Nancy & Herman Weisman of Boca Raton, Florida, to big sister, Rebecca, and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the marriage of their son, Yonatan, to Esther Lowensteiner of Teaneck. Mazal Tov also to his brothers David, Ariel and Eitan.
* Aviva & Pinchas Werner and family on the birth of a son.
* Warren Goldman on the passing of his father, Isadore Goldman. The funeral and Shiva took place this week.
* Stuart Rosenthal on the passing of his father, Leonard Rosenthal. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva will be held through Thursday morning at his home, 1220 Arcola Ave. Shacharis: Sunday 8:30, Monday 7:00, Tuesday/Wednesday 7:15, Thursday 6:55. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Wednesday 6:55.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE Communication – We want to keep you informed all week long. If you have not been receiving the Shabbos Shorts and latest updates (cyberbriefs) by email, please go to the Shul website at www.yise.org and click on "Contact," then select "sign-up form." Or you can "like" us on Facebook and get all the latest YISE news that way.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Megillas Esther." For more info, visit www. yise.org/together-for-5 . For Rabbi Rosenbaum's Purim Shiurim from last year visit www.torahdownloads.com/yisepurim
YISE Mad Hatter Tea Party – Welcoming Event for New YISE Adult Members – There will be elegant desserts, ice breakers, and opportunities to learn more about our Shul. And don't forget to wear your craziest hat! Motzei Shabbos, March 8, 8:30 PM at YISE. RSVP to Rabbi Silver at email@example.com or 917-363-5840.
Overcoming the "Baby Blues" Cartoon Model: Instilling Accountability and Responsibility in our Children – Rabbi Yitzchak Charner, Headmaster of TSGW, will be the next speaker in an exciting parenting lecture series sponsored by the YISE Youth Committee. Sunday March 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Barry Greengart will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday March 10, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
"Peace in the Home" 3-Part Community-Wide Lecture Series – The GWCK, in conjunction with SEHC, YISE, and WSAT, invites the community to the second lecture in the series, "How to Get Your Spouse to Really Listen: Mastering the Art of Effective Communication in Just 10 Minutes a Day," presented by Dr. Meir Wikler at Woodside Synagogue, Monday, March 10, at 8:00 PM. Open to men and women. Admission is free. The third lecture will be held on March 24.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. So far over 50% of the sections have already been claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Pesach Hosting Opportunities – We are looking for members who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of hosting singles, couples or families at their Seder. Please contact email@example.com to add your name to the list.
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – for 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers with Morah Elise Schloss! Join us for: puppets and Parsha stories, singing and movement, Shabbos party, socialization, art experiences. Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register to firstname.lastname@example.org or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – a summer camp for preschool ages 2 to 5. Give your child a healthy, happy and joyful summer of discovery and learning through play and exploration. Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 is open – A few spots in some age groups remain available. Call 301- 593-7365 with questions or to make an appointmentf for a tour.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
YISE Youth Annual Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 9, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM. Join us for carnival games, puppet show, prizes, refreshments and FUN!! YISE Social Hall. Teen, adult and senior adult volunteers are needed. Please contact Avi Litwack at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com asap to get involved.
Youth Megilla Reading – Motzei Shabbos, March 15, followed by refreshments. Wear your costumes and get a prize! YISE Social Hall.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehudah Mond Foundation, which assists individuals and families in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate by calling 443-539-1465, on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Od Yosef Chai – YGW is collecting funds for the organization which will distribute Matanos L'Evyonim to the poor in Israel. They will distribute the funds on Purim day. Please contact Yonah Soskin (email@example.com) if you would like to make a contribution.
Purim Card Options:
* YISE Nursery – Please support our community children by ordering our beautiful full color cards featuring our very own students! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards are available for pickup from Shul office or YISE Nursery from February 28.
* AMIT – $2.50 each. Contact either: Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468, Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773, or Rosalyn Bramson at 301-649-4276.
* BCGW – $2.50 each. Cards are available for purchase at the Kosher Pastry Oven. Or to order call 202-331-4481 or email@example.com Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read? We also need volunteers to Lein Megilla, to ensure that no one misses out because of inability to get to Shul, due to illness, infirmity or other reason. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
The Thirteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 16 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1121 University Blvd. W. ( University Towers). The shiur ends by 11:00.
Shalach Manos Delivery – The YGW Juniors will be delivering your Shalach Manos throughout Kemp Mill and White Oak. Don't make yourself crazy driving around all day. Contact Shlomo Kugler at 443-604-8924 for pricing and more information.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz on the passing of his mother, Mrs. Helen Breitowitz.
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Girls Night Out – with Mrs. Zakem and Mrs. Glassberg, this Motzei Shabbos, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM, at the Lombardo home, 504 Burnt Mills Ave. Join a discussion about topics that are relevant to YOUR life! Pizza Melave Malka! For girls in 9th to 12th grades.
MJBHA PTO/Vaad Horim Annual Boutique – Sunday, March 23, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM in the MJBHA cafeteria. For more information, contact Tamar Teitelbaum at 301-593-7059 or email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn: Branding Yourself for the Job Search – March 11, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM. Learn the basics of social media and how to use networking to make connections for your job search. Bethesda Library, 7400 Arlington Rd. Free. Walk-ins accepted. Additonal info at firstname.lastname@example.org
* LinkedIn for Beginners – March 12, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. An introduction to creating a profile and basic use of the tool for those who have not created a profile. JSSA, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Free. Pre-registration required. Additonal info and registration at www.jssa.org/calendar
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 9 Monday, March 10 Tuesday, March 11 Wednesday, March 12 Thursday, Mar. 13 Taanis Esther Friday, March 14
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 2:00, 6:35 / 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:37 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:18 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
March 14-15, 2014 – 13 Adar II 5774
Parshas Tzav – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:55
* Light Candles by 6:56
* Mincha 7:00, 6:55 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:40 (Sephardi), 6:55 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:55 – followed by Megilla Reading (See Purim Schedule)
Motzei Shabbos, March 8 YISE Mad Hatter Tea Party
Sunday, March 9 YISE Youth Annual Purim Carnival
Sunday, March 9 Rabbi Yitzchak Charner's Lecture
Monday, March 10 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Sunday, March 30 Blood drive in the YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 12, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director