Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 31 – April 1, 2017 – 5 Nissan 5777 – Parshas Vayikra
Light Candles by 7:13 (and not before 6:13) – Havdalah 8:13
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rosalyn Bramson for the first Yahrzeit of Arnold Bramson, Z"L, Alexander Zizkind Ben Yehuda Laib HaLevi, whose Yarhzeit is 4 Nissan.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her granddaughter, Chani Weber, daughter of Ephraim Weber, to Moishe Goldfeder of New Jersey.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars on the marriage of their daughter Dova to Jake/Yanky Adler, son of Nechie & Rabbi Pinny Adler of Cleveland. Mazal Tov also to Jack, Michal and niece Talia Boyars.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the publication of their son-in-law, Judah Gross' first Sefer "A Deeper Dimension." It covers all of the Parshios of the Torah and Moadim.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the engagement of her grandson, Avi DuBois, son of Nancy & Jeffrey DuBois of Tucson, to Natalie Kahn, daughter of Yona & Bob Kahn of Detroit, and to Avi's brother, Jeremy, and Natalie's sister, Sarah.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman on the birth of four grandchildren:
* Shlomo Koppel Zuckerman, born to their children Rachel & Rabbi Aron Meir Zuckerman in Passaic.
* Tova Sima Schechter, born to their children Léa & Rabbi Yakir Schechter in Merion Station.
* Menachem Mendel Zuckerman, born to their children Tzivya & Rabbi Yitzhak Zuckerman in Columbus.
* Elchanan Aharon Zuckerman, born to their children Dr. Batya Matla & Rabbi Daniel Zuckerman in Staten Island.
* Dinah Haramati, Adi Haramati, Nogah Haramati and Raz Harmati on the passing of their husband and father, Rabbi Amnon Haramati. Condolences to grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and thousands of his students worldwide. The funeral took place in Israel on Friday. Shiva details will be distributed when available.
* Joel Sklar on the passing of his mother, Sophie Sklar. The funeral took place on Monday in McAllen, TX. Shiva will be observed at the Sklar home, 913 Lamberton Drive through Sunday morning, with Shacharis at 8:00.
There are no Minyanim at University Blvd. this Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 7:13, and not before 6:13
Arcola: 6:30, 7:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Small Beis Medrash.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 University: N/A Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:13
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Hector Mariscal in honor of his engagement to Cassie Farbman.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Lower Lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on April 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on April 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on April 26.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women – will resume on April 25.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM – will resume on April 25.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will resume after Pesach and will be learning Meseches Makkos.
* New Shiur Starting after Pesach: Pearls of Prayer – New weekly class for men and women exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Join Rabbi Zakem for Jewish thought and life lessons based on the text of the weekday Shemoneh Esrei. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, beginning April 26, in the YISE Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899 – program will resume on Monday, April 24.
YISE Programs and Listings
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee is seeking nominations (and self-nominations) for open board of director and officer seats. Among the positions to be filled are president and treasurer. Please send nominations (and/or questions) to email@example.com
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 2: Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM! Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome. Visit http://www.shalomdc.org/kempmillparkgdd2017 Good Deeds Day 2017 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, April 3, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Ruach Minyan – Friday, April 7, 7:20 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal children's program, all daveners are warmly welcome to join us It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah Program – Mrs. Johanna Neumann will recount the unique story of her family's escape from Germany in 1939 to Albania. Sunday, April 23, at YISE at 7:30 PM. Mincha will precede the program at 7:10 PM. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE:
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, May 21
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
If you would like to be on the committee please contact Sharon Shimoff (email@example.com) or Michael Shimoff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Join YISE Youth for our 3rd annual trip to Sandy Spring Adventure Park on Lag Ba'Omer, Sunday, May 14 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. (Children 5 – 6 years old are free with a paid and climbing adult.) See flyer for additional details. There are only 100 spots available. RSVP to email@example.com and make payment ($36.00 per person) to the Shul office by Wednesday, April 19.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Please remember to clean out your Talis Boxes before Pesach.
Please do not use the Shul dumpsters to throw out your Chometz items. Monday morning, Erev Pesach is a regular garbage day.
Pesach Hospitality – Do you have an extra seat at your Seder? Or are you looking for a host? Pesach can be a challenging time of the year for many folks who may be single, have out-of-town family, etc. The YISE Hospitality Committee helps match these guests with hosts. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to host a meal. Also please contact email@example.com if you are a guest in need of a host.
Lost and Found – Please take a look through the lost and found for any items that you may have lost and take them home before Pesach! Right before Pesach the lost and found objects will be donated to a worthy cause.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week (more times will be announced next week):
* Sunday, April 2: After 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim and after pre-Pesach class (approximately 9:15 PM).
* Monday, April 3: 12:00 Noon, Small Beis Medrash.
* Tuesday, April 4: After 6:55 Shacharis and after Mincha / Maariv.
* Wednesday, April 5: 8:30 PM in the Social Hall.
* Thursday, April 6: After Mincha / Maariv.
* Friday, April 7: After 6:55 Shacharis.
* Sunday, April 9: After 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim
* Monday, April 10: Following the Siyumim.
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum, 301-593-4465 ext 405, to make special arrangements to sell your Chometz.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Sunday, April 2, 8:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Pre-Pesach Food Drive – Annual Pre-Pesach Food Drive (Chometz Begone), now in its fifteenth year, runs through Wednesday, April 5. Donations go to the Capital Kosher Pantry, which serves hundreds of Jewish individuals and families in our communities. Participating in this drive are diverse organizations, synagogues in Kemp Mill and beyond, schools in the Greater Washington area, food stores, apartment complexes, and a community center. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to designated containers. Every little bit helps! Including the YISE Arcola Lower Lobby.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chitim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Community Chometz Burning – Monday, April 10, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at KMS. The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service will be on hand to provide safety information at this community event.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 1 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Silverman Kahan A"H Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 2 at 10:00 AM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Guest lecturer David Makovsky will be speaking on the topic of "After 125 Campus Visits – Preliminary Impressions about Israel, BDS, and the Next Generation of American Jews." Find out more information and register at www.sulam.org/events
Uru Adventure Camp 2017 is starting for boys going into grades 2-5. July 17 – August 18 (weekly rates avail.). 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM. Integrated Torah Learning, Daily Hikes, Weekly Themes, Building Life Skills, Weekly Wednesday Trip, Art & Science Enrichment, Overnight Camping Trip, Early Bird Discount by April 2. Led by Rabbi Daniel Moses. For more information go to www.uruadventure.com Informational campfire meeting for parents on Sunday, April 30. More details to come.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will resume Wednesday, April 19. Contact email@example.com or visit KempMillToastmasters.com for more information about our club.
Privacy and Surveillance – Rockville Lunch and Learn at BECO with Rabbi Grossman. Thursday, April 6, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM. Complimentary lunch will be served. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* JCA 50+ Employment Expo – Free. Monday, April 3, 1 0:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center.
* Questions about this and other workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 2 Monday, April 3 Tuesday, April 4 Wednesday, April 5 Thursday, April 6 Friday, April 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:58 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:55 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
April 7-8, 2017 – 12 Nissan 5777
Parshas Tzav – Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:19 – Havdalah 8:20
* Light Candles by 7:19, and not before 6:18
Arcola: 6:30, 7:20, Ruach University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 University: 6:30 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:20
Sunday, April 2 Global Good Deeds Day, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Wednesday, April 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall, Program: Arpa Amore Harp Concert
Friday, April 7 Ruach Minyan, 7:20 PM
Shabbos, April 8 Bar Mitzvah of Dovid Shinensky
Sunday, April 23 Annual Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah Program, YISE at 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 5 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager