Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 26-27, 2014 – 5 Teves 5775 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:37
* Light Candles by 4:33
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Mincha – Please note earlier times this week.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:15 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:00 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:37
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the marriage of her granddaughter, Sorala, daughter of Kendi & Rabbi Yisroel Anemer to Ashie Sternback of New York.
* Ali & Seth Jacobson on the birth of their daughter, Chanah Yosefiah. Mazal Tov also to big brother Tuvyah, big sister Sivan, and their grandparents, Robert Lederer of Edmonton, Alberta, and Hedy & Bruce Jacobson of Southfield, Michigan.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter Shira , daughter of Shoshana & Ari Lerner of Baltimore, to Shmuli Berglas, son of Robin & Shaya Berglas of Toronto. Mazal Tov to grandparents Carole & Morty Pancer of Kemp Mill and great-grandma Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Norma Burdett and Shonny Kugler on the passing of their sister, Judy Rosenbaum. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at 11720 Lovejoy Street, through Sunday morning.
* Robert Zak on the passing of his father, Dr. Solomon Zak. The funeral took place on Friday in Elmont, NY. Shiva will be observed through Thursday morning in Lawrence, NY.
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Shalosh Seudos – Sponsored by Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum in honor of the birth of their daughter, Rachel.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, December 28, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue. The topic will be "Halachos of Davening."
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Wednesday, December 31 (11:00 AM – 8:00 PM) and Thursday, January 1 (9:00 AM – 8:00 PM), YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Next Shabbos – Ruach Minyan – Friday, January 2, at 4:35 in the Arcola Social Hall.While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly welcomed to join and bring in Shabbos with us.
Next Weekend – Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 3, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 5, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fundraiser for YISE Nursery – Ladies Night Out. Tuesday, January 6. Come join us for a fun and relaxing paint your own pottery event at Color Me Mine in Downtown Silver Spring. $5 studio fee plus cost of pottery. Over 200 items to choose from! Portion of the proceeds to benefit YISE Shomrai Nursery. Come by anytime after 6:00 PM. Last seating to paint is at 9:00 PM. Located at 823 Ellsworth Drive.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 7, Arcola Social Hall. Speaker: Dr. Itzhak Brook, Professor at Georgetown University School of Medicine, discusses his book "In the Sands of Sinai – A Physician's Account of the Yom Kippur War."
A Shabbos of Inspiration – Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos at YISE. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK. Inspiring tefillos and zemiros by special guest baal tefillah and singer Yehuda Green. Elegant catered Friday Night family dinner (Adult: $22, Children (3-7): $12, Children under 3: free) with free babysitting during the dinner available. To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com Sponsorship opportunities available.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 11, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, at KMS, co-sponsored by YISE and KMS to replenish local area Gemachs. Gently used shoes, clothing and outerwear can be dropped off at 903 Holborn Street starting Sunday, January 4 to January 11 at 9:30 AM or dropped off at KMS after 10:00 AM on January 11. To volunteer to help or for more information please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Taharat Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part 1 of a two-part refresher course on Monday, January 12, at 7:30 PM. in the Beis Medrash at YISE. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html If you have tapes of Shiurim to add to the site, contact Rabbi Yisroel Anemer at email@example.com or give tapes to Nechemia Mond.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller
and Youth Honorees:
Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
To volunteer to serve on a Banquet Committee, please contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org
Messages from the YISE Administration
* As we approach the end of the year, please consider paying your shul commitments and include YISE in any end-of-year gift giving.
* The Ner Tamid enhancement, incorporating the original Ner Tamid, which was donated by the Taragins, is dedicated by Chaim Neustadter in memory of his parents, Goldie & Israel Neustadter.
* Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, January 5.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will next meet on Wednesday, January 7.
Visiting Day for 6th grade Girls at Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Tiferes Gedaliah – Monday, December 29, 8:30 AM – 1:00 PM at YGW Girls Campus, 2010 Linden Lane. Visit our school, meet our staff and students, ask questions, have a great time! Bring a bag lunch – snacks provided. For more information or if the date is inconvenient, please contact Rabbi Scott Hillman at 301-962-5111 ext. 1553 or email@example.com for a personal tour or informational meeting.
Special Evening with the Koidenover Rebbe – At the Hirschfeld home, 1131 Kersey Road, Monday, December 29. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 8:00 PM, followed by an uplifting kumsitz from 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM. This is a unique opportunity to meet the Rebbe, who is much sought after for his Brochos and advice. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more info, please contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Light Beyond Darkness – Women's Kinus/Gathering. Join other women for an inspiring evening with a video presentation featuring Chaya Levine, widow of Rabbi Kalman Levine A"H, and Rachaeli Frankel, mother of Naftali Frankel A"H. Wednesday, December 31, at YISE 8:30 PM. For more information contact Mariel Goldstein at 301-204-0799.
Halachic Innovations In Geirus? Part 2 – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington-Tiferes Gedaliah. Thursday, January 1. Chavrusa 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
YGW 51st Annual Banquet – January 11, 6:00 PM, Bethesda North Marriott. Honoring our Rosh haYeshiva on the 20th Anniversary of the Yeshiva Gedolah. Rabbi & Mrs. Ahron Lopiansky will be presented the Kesser Torah Award. Place your ads or reservations now. The Banquet website is www.ygwevents.com/51stBanquet/ Full information, online reservations, ads, and inquiries may be made through the site or you may email email@example.com
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrim Needed – Paid Shomrim needed to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
The Good Book for 2015 – Listing members of the Washington area Jewish community, is in preparation. YISE members wishing to be included or to make changes in their listing should contact email@example.com or 410-358-6068. The Good Book will accept listing requests and changes submitted by January 15.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Sponsored by Kathryn Troutman. (1) Navigate the Schedule A Hiring Process–for Persons with Disabilities. Monday, January 5, 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM. (2) 10 Steps to a Federal Job, Tuesday, January 6, 12:00 noon to 12:30 PM. (3) 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, Wednesday, January 7, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
Sulam 100K Matching Grant Challenge – Double your contribution to Sulam! For every new or increased donation received through the end of December 2014, donors will match dollar for dollar up to $100,000. Visit our website, www.sulam.org and make your contribution today. You can make a difference in a child's life.
Yehuda Mond Foundation Appeal – Through its Tomchei Shabbos program, which distributes scrip for use at Shalom's, the Yehuda Mond Foundation provides a safety net for over 150 individuals in the Greater Washington region. Your much-needed tax-deductible donations go entirely to provide funds to those assisted; contribute at www.tomcheishabbosgw.com.
Franco Foundation Appeal – As the end of the year approaches The Franco Foundation's end-of-tax year appeal is a perfect way to help others within are community who struggle each day to make ends meet. Please send your donations to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, or you may make your donation through paypal using our email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Gemach partners with Food Bank – To meet increasing needs, the Yehuda Mond Foundation, in partnership with the Capital Area Food Bank,makes available, free of charge, non-perishable kosher food. For more information visit http://foodgemach.org
Charity in Memory of Avraham Khaldar – The Khaldar family is raising funds to help support a new Yeshiva in the Old City of Jerusalem, headed by the Chief Rabbi of the Old City, HaRav Avigdor Neventzal, Shlita. The funds will be used to directly support a Chabura to learn Torah in memory of Avraham. If you would like to support, please make out a check to "Toras Yisrael Yevorchu Metzion," with "Zichron Avraham" in the memo, and send to Eitan Khaldar at 11305 Monticello Ave.
Fast of Asara B'Teves
Thursday, January 1
* Fast Begins 6:01
* Early Mincha 12:45 (Arcola)
* Mincha 4:20 (Arcola)
* Maariv 5:15 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 5:41
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 28 Monday, December 29 Tuesday, December 30 Wednesday, December 31 Thursday, Jan. 1 – Asara B'Teves/New Years Day Friday, January 2
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 7:30 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 12:45, 4:20 / 5:15 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:43 PM
January 2-3, 2015 – 12 Teves 5775
Light Candles by 4:39 – Havdalah 5:42
* Light Candles by 4:39
Arcola: 4:40, Ruach University: 4:40Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:42
Shabbos, December 27 Special Shalosh Seudos sponsored by Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum.
Sunday, December 28 Halacha Shiur for Women
Wed., Dec. 31 / Thu. Jan. 1 Judaica and Seforim Sale
Friday, January 2 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, January, 3 Aufruf of Joseph Schlesinger (Hashkamah)
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 3 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, January 7 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, January 9-10 A Shabbos of Inspiration with the GWCK
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 31 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Closed Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director