Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 18-19, 2015 – 7 Teves 5776 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:33
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this in honor of and in gratitude to Joyce E. Torchinsky and the Staff of Torchinsky Hebrew Funeral Home for the respect and professionalism with which they cared for Police Officer Noah Aaron Leotta. May he be our role model of how to live a life of concern for others. May he rest in peace.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson born in Baltimore to their granddaughter Shira (Lerner) & Shmuli Berglas of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents, Shoshanah & Rabbi Ari Lerner of Baltimore, and Robin & Shaya Berglas of Toronto and Israel. Also Mazal Tov to great-grandparents, Carol & Morty Pancer of Silver Spring, and great-great-grandmother, Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Sharon Butler on the passing of her father, Jack Block. Shiva was completed on Thursday.
* Light Candles by 4:29
Arcola: 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:33
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz and Chaim Neustadter in memory of their parents: the 4th Yahrtzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; the 5th Yahrtzeit of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; and Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi; and the 22nd Yahrtzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Altar; Dr. Howie and Karen Shulman in memory of: the 32nd Yahrtzeit of Howie's mother Florence Shulman, Faigel Bas Yeshaiyah Baer and the 14th Yahrtzeit of Sherrie Shulman, Sahra Leah Bas Avraham Dov; and Bernie Blitzstein in memory of his grandmother Rochel Blitzstein and his seven aunts and uncles who perished in the Holocaust.
* Sephardi Minyan – Popi
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Lilly & Robert Zak in honor of the Yahrzeit of Robert's father, Shlomo Yonah Ben Aharon Levi.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 19, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by the Israel and Frumkin families. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Making Medical Choices when the Diagnosis is Dire – What is the difference among traditional, complementary, and alternative medicine? What is the Torah perspective on each, and on using any medicine? Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, YGW, and Dr. Theo Heller tackle these questions, from different perspectives and many years of counseling patients and families. Sunday, December 20, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
Atention: Present, Erstwhile and would-be Ba'alei Tefilah – Review (or learn) how to lead Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv, as well as the rest of Shabbos services, from an expert. Starting Monday night, December 21, Rabbi Ozzie Burnham will lead a series of classes going over Shabbos Davening in detail. Come prepared to listen, learn and ask questions about all aspects of the Tefilah. Join us from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
The Three C's of Positive Parenting: Communication, Consequences, Consistency – Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Monday, January 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Veteran educator Susan Koss will speak about creating a healthy parenting environment for all the children in your family. Come and please bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can recite 20, 83, 121, 130 and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the world, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Hockey Night: Join us for a fun night out at the Washington Capitals vs. Ottawa Senators game on Sunday, January 10 at 7:00 PM. Tickets are $35 per person and come with a free Capitals shirt. Limited number of spots so contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get your tickets before they are gone!
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? Sunday, February 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – Community Science Lecture and Girls Division Science Fair, Sunday, December 20. Third lecture in our science series – "Earthquakes, Moonquakes, and Marsquakes." Dr. Jeanne Sauber-Rosenberg, Geophysicist at Planetary Geodynamics Laboratory, NASA. 12:30 PM at YGW Girls Campus, followed by the Girls Division Science Fair at 1:30 PM with family-friendly science demonstrations. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Special Evening with the Koidenover Rebbe – Monday, December 21 at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Road. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting kumsitz at 8:00 PM. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more information, please contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, December 23, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
The Mitzvah of Tochecha: Correction or Protest? – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Friday, December 25. Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM; Shiur 9:45 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
YGW Girls Division Open House for Parents of 6th Grade Girls – Monday, December 28, 8:00 PM at the YGW Girls Campus. Come meet the administration, department chairs, and teachers. Learn about the school and its programs. To RSVP, for more information or if the above date is inconvenient, please contact Rabbi Scott Hillman, at 301-962-5111 ext. 1553, firstname.lastname@example.org for a personal tour or meeting.
Mayan Hakesef Foundation Inc. is a new interest-free loan Gemach located in Kemp Mill and serving our community with the guidance and approval of Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. The Foundation provides loans up to $5,000 with a basic requirement of 2 co-signers. If you would like to donate for this great cause or for more information on how to get a loan please contact email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Summer 2016 Jobs – For information on summer jobs for 2016, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal
The Eruv is dependent on your contributions to pay for weekly inspections, emergency repairs, regular maintenance (wear-and-tear), and improvements. If you already gave, thank you. If not, the requested contribution is $54 per household. Donations of all sizes are gratefully accepted. Make your check payable to YISE Eruv Fund and mail it directly to the Silver Spring Eruv Association at 11113 Lombardy Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Do not send to YISE and do not give on-line. Thank you. Questions? Contact SSEA at SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
Fast of Asara B'Teves
Tuesday, December 22
* Fast Begins 5:57
* Early Mincha 12:45 (Arcola)
* Mincha 4:10 (Arcola)
* Maariv 5:05 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 5:34
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 20 Monday, December21 Tuesday, Dec. 22 – Asara B'Teves Wednesday, December 23 Thursday, December 24 Friday, December 25
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35, 7:30 (Maariv) 12:45, 4:10 / 5:05, 7:30 4:35, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:35, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:15 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:39 PM
December 25-26, 2015 – 14 Teves 5776
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:36
* Light Candles by 4:33
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:36
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 19 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 6:45 PM
Sunday, December 20 Making Medical Choices when the Diagnosis is Dire
Wednesday, December 23 YISE Board Meeting, 7:45 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 2 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Friday, January 8 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 4:45 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 23 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director