Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 1-2, 2013 – 29 Cheshvan 5774 – Parshas Toldos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:47
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon in honor of the recent wedding of their youngest daughter, Rachel, to Joshua Reznick of Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 5:49
* Mincha 5:50, 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:45 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:47
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Zushe Blech
* University Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence,
Rabbi Zushe Blech.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Zushe Blech – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continues with the topic "Litigation in Secular Courts"- Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Chana & Paul Berner on the marriage of their granddaughter, Fraidy, daughter of Yaelle & Rabbi Pesach Levi of Lakewood, to Shragi, son of Rivky & Rabbi Yitzchak Penfil of Lakewood. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother, Flora Berner.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of their grandson, Sholom Mordechai, to their children Adena & Justin Cohen of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to big brother Malkiel Aharon.
* Harriet & Elliot Jacob on the birth of a granddaughter, born to their children Goldie & Jacob Milner of Baltimore.
* Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon on the recent wedding of their youngest daughter, Rachel, to Joshua Reznick of Baltimore.
* Dr. Debra Frenkel on the passing of her mother, Hope Solomon. The funeral took place on Monday in California. Shiva will continue at 614 Lamberton Drive until 1 hour after 8:00 AM Shacharis on Sunday.
Message from Rabbi Binyamin Silver:
My wife and I would like to thank the community and all of the sponsors for the warm and welcoming kiddush. We look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful community.
The Friday Evening Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 5:50 PM in large Arcola Social Hall.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Zushe Blech, Rav Ha'Machshir, Earth Kosher, Regional Director for Kashrus, the OU, Author, Kosher Food Production.
* Friday at 8:30 PM: Wine, Beer, and Alcohol – Mayim Chayim – Aqua Vitae
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows): Insects – Metzitz Min Hacharakim – Peering through the Insects
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Fish – Vetana Tuna – To Wit
The Intoxicating Effects of Money and their Halachic Consequences – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a Business Ethics lecture by Rabbi Dr. Barry Freundel. Sunday, November 3, at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss speaking on the development of the minor Jewish holidays, Monday November 4, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Starting next week – Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! 7:00 PM in Arcola social hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffles!
Melava Malka Hosted by the Silvers – Come and join us in the Warwick party room on Motzei Shabbos, November 9 at 8:00 PM, open to all, men and women, light refreshments, an opportunity to shmooz. Words of Torah delivered by Rabbi Silver entitled: Holy Shabbos, Holy Week: The conceptual consumption of herring and Chulent all week long.
Community Service Day – co-sponsored by, YISE, KMS, & MJBHA Chesed committees. Come do a mitzvah! Sunday, November 10, from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, come help out at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd, 301-608-3504 (limited to 20 people). Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP for A Wider Circle, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
Save the Date – Kristallnacht Commemoration in Silver Spring – In honor of the 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht (Night of Broken Glass), join us to hear a story about a heroic initiative in pre-War Italy that has come to light only recently. Hans Weil, a German Jewish sociology professor, founded a school on the Italian coast which safeguarded many German Jewish children from the Nazis. The speaker, Constance Weil Rauch, is the daughter of Prof. Weil and was an eyewitness. Sunday, November 10, 7:30 PM at YISE. Sponsored by YISE, KMS and SSJC.
Start Your Day The Right Way – TGN Presents: Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings beginning November 12, following the 8:30 Shacharis at YISE. Classes will be offered by Rabbi Barry Greengart – Daily Halachos and by Rabbi Shmuel Leigh – Parsha Inspiration. Come join a class or learn with a Chavrusa. Breakfast will be served after Shacharis. Program is open to men and women. For more information (301) 338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to join us this Shabbos at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM.
Women's Discussion Group – 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Leaf Raking – The YGW Senior Boys Class is available throughout the autumn season to rake your leaves. The cost is $20 per hour. Please contact Rabbi Hes at email@example.com or 301-649-7077, ext. 1528 to make an appointment.
Keeping Our Kids Safe in all Situations – Dr, David Pelcovitz, psychologist and YU professor, will be speaking at the Torah School of Greater Washington (2010 Linden Lane) on Monday, November 4 from 7:45 PM – 9:15 PM. Cost: $13 per person / $20 per couple.
MJBHA Tour – Join us for a tour of the MJBHA Preschool and Lower School (2N thru 5th grade), Tuesday, November 5 at 9:30 AM. For information or to schedule a visit at a different time, contact Sharon Butler, 301-962-9400 x5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MJBHA Book Fair – Join the MJBHA at the Barnes & Noble Book Fair. MJBHA-PTO earns 10% of every store purchase. Sunday, November 10, Barnes & Noble, Montrose Crossing Shopping Center. Contact Shuly Babitz at email@example.com.
Oops! The Eruv is Down. What Do I Do Now? – A shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, November 11, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
LBJA 2nd Annual Chanukah Bazaar and Book Fair – Sunday, November 17, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Entrance is free! At LBJA located in the Silver Spring Jewish Center. Questions? Contact the school office at 301-592-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to be a vendor, please contact the school office no later than Monday, November 4.
Citrus Sale – The YGW Senior Boys Class is having a Citrus Sale. Florida Naval Oranges (40-60 @ $36), Ruby Red Grapefruits (25-40 @ $32) and Tangerines (20-30 @ $26) are sold by the case. Orders are due by November 25 and should be sent to email@example.com.
Alfred House Shalom Kosher – The Alfred House Assisted Living for Seniors facility here in Kemp Mill has gone Kosher under the Washington VAAD… and has changed to reflect this new qualification. For information: Joan at 240-535-0597.
Job Assist Events:
* Plan Your Job Search – Free workshop by Melissa Feuer, GWU College of Professional Studies, Tuesday, November 5, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM. Kemp Mill Education Center, 1319 Lamberton Drive. Reserve a seat at https://jobsearch13.eventbrite.com.
* 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications – Free webinar by Kathryn Troutman, Tuesday, November 5, 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM. Register at www.resume-place.com.
* Photoshop for Beginners – Series of four online classes starts Monday, November 4. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* The Hidden Job Market – Free webinar. Monday, November 4, 7:00 PM – 8:15 PM. Register at www.oujobs.org.
JCADA Needs Your Help – Help raise funds for a much needed Legal Access Program for The Jewish Coalition Against Domestic Abuse. To find out more go to www.crowdrise.com/jcada.
The Week Ahead
All times EST
Sunday, Nov. 3 Rosh Chodesh Monday, Nov. 4 Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, November 5 Wednesday, November 6 Thursday, November 7 Friday, November 8
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 See Shabbos schedule
University 4:50 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:50 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:14 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 8-9, 2013 – 6 Kislev 5774
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:41
* Light Candles by 4:41
* Mincha 4:45, 4:40 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:41
Shabbos, November 1-2 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Zushe Blech
Wednesday, November 6 Senior Lunch
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 9 First Dor L'Dor of the season, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 10 Kristallnacht Commemoration, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 6, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director