The Shabbos Shorts PDF is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 12-13, 2016 – 4 Adar 1 5776 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:23 – Havdalah 6:24
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Charlotte Hanau and family in gratitude to the YISE community for their kind donations, calls, cards, letters and expressions of sympathy in memory of Fred Hanau, A"H.
* Fran & Alan Broder on the birth of a grandson, born to Eva & Hillel Broder. Mazal Tov to siblings Moshe, Rebecca and Aaron, to greatgrandparents Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka Creeger, to Aunt Batsheva & Uncle Moshe Broder and Uncle Noam Broder.
* Martha & Ed Karl on the birth of a grandson, Matan David, to their children Robin & Yaron Karl.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on the birth of their first granddaughter, Tova Kayla, to their children Shayna & Raphael Karlin of Elizabeth, NJ. Mazal Tov to grandparents Deborah & Yacov Stollman of Woodmere, NY, great-grandparents, Charles Karlin and Dolores & Leonard Schwartz, Uncle Matthew, Aunt Sarah and Uncle Benjy and cousins Yakov Gedaliah, Akiva & Meir.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, A J, son of Renee & Michael Zimbalist of Fair Lawn, NJ.
* The family of Mikhail Knizhnik. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva is being observed at the home of his son, Boris, 12202 Mcdonald Chapel Dr., Gaithersburg through Sunday morning, with Shacharis at 8:30.
* Light Candles by 5:23
Arcola: 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:24
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:20 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will not meet due to Rabbi Moshe Heinemann's lecture.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 13, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Recoding Creation: Halachic Implications of Genetic Engineering – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Heinemann. Sunday, February 14, 9:30 AM at YISE.
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Rabbi Burnham's class on how to lead Davening for Shabbos and Yom Tov will meet at 8:00 PM, Monday, February 15 in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, focusing on Shabbos Mincha. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Landmark Pesach Wine Event – Don't miss this unprecedented chance to taste and learn about new wines from Israel and place your order for wines for Pesach. Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. Presentation, tasting and cheese pairing, and ordering opportunity. This is a joint community event by KMS and YISE. Cost: $10 in advance, $15 at the door. $10 of each admission will be applied to your wine order. Questions? Contact email@example.com or visit www.yise.org/wine The order list is extensive and will include your traditional favorites as well as special new releases, labels and special values. L'Chaim!
YISE Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Shabbos – February 20. Special presentation between Mincha and Maariv (5:25 PM) in the YISE Social Hall. "Through Our Eyes, Living a Jewish Life with a Disability," featuring Mrs. Lianne Heller, Dr. Matthew Levitt, Mrs. Ruth Rochel Stokes, and Mr. Allon Yom Tov. Please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-675-6684 for more information and for sponsorship opportunities.
When your Loved one Enters Hospice or Receives Palliative Care – Learn about the three different approaches to managing pain, the conditions for which they are appropriate, and the halachic issues that arise when such care is provided. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller tackle these questions, from different perspectives and many years of counseling patients and families. Sunday, February 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE (Beis Midrash). Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
I'll say Amen to that! Why do we pray in a Minyan? What makes communal prayer special? Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead a new threesession class: Tefilah B'Tzibur – The Unique Aspects of Communal Prayer: Amen, Kaddish, Kedusha, on Monday nights from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM starting Monday, February 29, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more info, contact email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to explore the worlds of Kashrus, conversion, financial arbitration, divorce proceedings, and more at YISE on Sunday, March 13, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
YISE Security – Please consider helping sponsor our increased security presence. The requested contribution is $36 per household. Of course, smaller or larger amounts will be gratefully accepted. A list of the donors will be displayed on the electronic board in the coming weeks. Tax-deductible checks made to YISE or donate through our website at www.yise.org and select "YISE Security Fund" when you submit.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shomrai Nursery registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN!
"I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts, and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. At Shomrai Nursery we respect our children, listen to their inquiries, their thoughts and their plans. We walk hand-in-hand with them, as together we forge new paths of discovery which lead to the development of essential life skills. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only.Contact us at 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back!
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! Earlybird discount is available until March 1. For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Young Professionals Minyan
To better meet the varying interests of our growing community, the board voted for the creation of a new Young Professionals Minyan to be held at 9:15 every Shabbos morning. This Minyan will meet for the first time next Shabbos, February 20. The Minyan will be temporarily housed at the YGW small Bais Medrash. This new Minyan will add to our steady lineup at Arcola of the Hashkama, 8:00, Youth, Main (8:45), Nusach Sefard, and Sephardi Minyanim.If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for fun Parsha activities! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Please note that the Woodside Kailim Mikvah (Ballard) is not operational. The latest freezing cycles have caused water to leak out to a level below what is usable.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Wandering Eyes – February is Jewish Disabilities Awareness and Inclusion Month, KMS is hosting a special needs awareness movie and discussion night. Motzei Shabbos, February 13, at 7:30 PM for a screening of the Israeli documentary. The film will be followed by a short panel discussion. Light dessert (from Sunflower Bakery) and coffee/tea will be provided.Questions? Contact email@example.com
Backing Out or Locked In: Understanding the Employer/Employee Relationship – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men – Monday, February 15, Presidents' Day, with Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rav of WSAT. Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM; Shiur follows, at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 17, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Laugh and Learn! Interactive, multi-media, humor-filled presentation by American-Israeli comedian Benji Lovitt. Watch and discuss classic movies, TV shows, and comedy clips to gain a richer understanding of Israeli society. Motzei Shabbos, February 27 at 8:30 PM at KMS. Thanks to the support of generous sponsors, this program is free to the community. Questions? Contact Shuly Babitz (email@example.com) or Ina Lerman (301-681-7107).
Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGWTiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, February 28. For more information: Contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nurturing Our Emunah in These Difficult Times – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proudly hosting Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger. Sunday, February 28, 8:00 PM at YISE. As a Zechus for a Refuah Shleima for Yosef Yitzchak Ben Miriam, Raphael Yehoshua Falik Ben Bracha Basya, Tzvi Ben Sorah Chaya. For donation opportunities please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at email@example.com
Aliyah Event of the Year – Tuesday, March 8, at the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington at 6:30 PM. Hear from professionals about employment, communities, education, taxes, budgeting and retirement in Israel, and featuring a vendor fair running throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to meet and network with other people planning Aliyah. For more information: www.nbn.org.il/washington
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* LinkedIn 2016 – Free workshop with Ken Horowitz. Monday, February 22, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, KMS. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org. If you have LinkedIn questions that you would like addressed, please send an email to the same address.
Mayan Hakesef Foundation Inc. is a new interest-free loan Gemach located in Kemp Mill and serving our community with the guidance and approval of Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. The Foundation provides loans up to $5,000 with a basic requirement of 2 co-signers. If you would like to donate for this great cause or for more information on how to get a loan please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Battling Amalek in our Times – Pre-Purim Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 13, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
AMIT is selling beautiful PURIM CARDS. Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 14 Monday, Feb. 15 – Presidents Day Tuesday, February 16 Wednesday, February 17 Thursday, February 18 Friday, February 19
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 5:30 5:30, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:30, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:30, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:30, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:08 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:38 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 19-20, 2016 – 11 Adar 1 5776
Light Candles by 5:31 – Havdalah 6:31
* Light Candles by 5:31
Arcola: 5:35 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:31
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 13 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:30 PM
Sunday, February 14 Rabbi Moshe Heinemann Lecture
Wednesday, February 17 Senior Lunch: Speaker: Dr. Alan Breitler – The Nature of Time and Special Relativity
Wednesday, February 17 YISE Board Meeting, 7:45 PM
Shabbos, February 20 YISE Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Shabbos
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 20 Landmark Pesach Wine Event
Sunday, February 21 When your Loved one Enters Hospice or Receives Palliative Care
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 17 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director