The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 8-9, 2016 – 1 Nissan 5776 – Parshas Tazria / Parshas Hachodesh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:21 (and not before 6:18) – Havdalah 8:21
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jack Calman to commemorate the 43rd Yahrtzeit of his dear father, Irwin Calman.
* Frieda Bart and Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the engagement of their granddaughter Bracha, daughter of Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart of Richmond, to Barry Eichenbaum of Oceanside, NY. Mazal Tov also to uncle Jonathan Bart.
* Hannah Gershon on the wedding of her grandson Sammy Gershon, son of Martine & Dr. Raphael Gershon, of Atlanta, to Eisheva Matanky, daughter of Margaret & Rabbi Leonard Matanky, of Chicago.
* Jack (Yank) Finkel on the passing of his wife, Celia Finkel. The funeral took place on Monday in New York. The family will be sitting Shiva through Sunday morning at 6502 Hal Court, Baltimore.
* Deborah Klein on the passing of her father, Melvin Weiser. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva will be observed through Monday morning at 11601 Fillmore Drive.
* Light Candles by 7:21, and not before 6:18
Arcola: 6:30, 7:25 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 University: 7:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:21
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Niro in memory of his grandmother Rimah Bat Simcha; by Dror Shoshani; by David Mordechai; and by Moshe Khaldar in honor of Geri returning to Israel.
* University – "Rosh Chodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – "Joint Kiddush" – The Haimish Kiddush Group and The 9:15 Group.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Mussar Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:20 PM
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume May 3.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume May 4.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume May 4.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at University – will resume after Pesach.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays following mincha/maariv in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Official Opening of the Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah – YISE invites the community on Sunday, April 10 at 11:00 AM. Light refreshments will be served.
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day – Join us in a Park Cleanup on Sunday, April 10 anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by the parking lot near Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Greatfor all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome: http://www.yise.org/park Good Deeds Day 2016 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect. Our Park Cleanup project is organized by KMS, YISE, BHA, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. We need volunteers to hand out tee shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Planting Flowers Around the Shul: Needs and Meeting – We are seeking people who can volunteer time and / or money in an initiative to plant deer-resistant varieties of flowers and low shrubs around the exterior of the Shul. There will be a 30-45 minute planning meeting this Sunday, April 10, at 3:30 PM (no manual labor at this meeting). Please contact Stuart Cohen if you plan to attend so that he can produce an appropriate number of handouts (301-943-5153 or email@example.com). The meeting will be held outside, IY"H and weather permitting. For donations, make checks payable to YISE and note the purpose is "planting flowers." We hope to add color and enhance the beauty of our facility with a collaborative effort in which we can share further pride of accomplishment. Thank you in advance for your support.
What the Jewish Community Needs to Know About Security Preparedness – An evening of presentations by representatives of the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, Montgomery County Police, and University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Terrorist and active shooter threats; Securing synagogues and schools; and Responding to mass casualty events. Wednesday April 13 at 8:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Free Admission: Open to the community. Special thanks to the security committees and administration of Chabad of Silver Spring, YISE and KMS for their assistance in coordinating this event.
NEXT WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, April 15, 7:00, Social Hall
Important Announcement Regarding Maryland Primary Voting – This year's primary is on Chol Hamoed Pesach. We have contested races for president, U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and your vote is important. For those who will be away (or just too busy) during the holiday, early voting is available from April 14 through April 21. Absentee ballots are also available. For more information on hours and locations, see http://www.elections.state.md.us/voting/early_voting.html
The YISE Shomrai Nursery School is looking for prizes for our Annual PTA Lag B'Omer Raffle! Our raffle raises money for school improvements, teacher appreciation, and school activities. Please consider having your business donate a service or product. Your business will get advertising on our announcements. Or feel free to donate in honor of or in memory of someone. Items we are looking for: gift certificates, baby gear, electronics, outings/kid activities, gift certificates to restaurants, toys, kitchen gadgets, etc. Please contact Emily at Todd.firstname.lastname@example.org
"Have Faith!" Easier Said Than Done – The YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project presents a Shabbaton on Emunah with Rabbi Motty Berger from Aish HaTorah on May 6 and 7 (the Shabbos after Pesach). Inspirational Davening, Drashot and discussion. Spiritual Shalosh Seudos (by reservation; $8/person). For details or to volunteer, contact email@example.com or 301-980-9557. To sponsor or to reserve places for Seudah, send check payable to YISE (marked "Shabbaton sponsor" and/or "Seudah") to Shul office.
Annual Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah Program – Mr. Manny Mandel will recount the story of his traumatic escape from wartime Hungary with his mother. Monday May 9 at 7:45 PM at KMS. Mincha will precede the program at 7:20 PM. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request.
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. About two thirds of sections have been claimed – there's 5 weeks to go. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Shomrim Program for YISE Security
The YISE Security Committee continues to review possible threats and guidance and to issue security recommendations to the board. YISE recently hired an off-duty police officer to be present on Shabbos morning and to make periodic patrols on Friday nights and during Shabbos mincha. In order to stay vigilant in the current global security environment, YISE will be implementing a Shomrim program on Friday night, Shabbos morning and holidays in order to augment our hired police presence.
YISE is seeking committed volunteers to become Shomrim members and team leaders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering.
To volunteer visit www.yise.org/shomrim-signup
Pesach is Coming Soon, Don't be in de Nile
YISE Youth Announcements
YISE thanks the Orlofsky family for their donation of one hundred new Chumashim/Siddurim to the youth Minyan.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Kiddush Club.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Second Annual Lag B'Omer Event at the Adventure Park at Sandy Spring – Join YISE Youth on Thursday, May 26 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Whether you went last year and want to do it again, or if this is your first time, don't miss out on this opportunity to register for a great experience! Cost is $36 per person. Children 5-6 years old are free with a paying adult (1:1). All checks must be submitted to the Shul office by April 20. For more info, contact email@example.com
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Please remember to clean out your Talis Boxes before Pesach.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week (more times will be announced next week):
* Sunday, April 10: After 7:30 Shacharis.
* Monday, April 11: 9:15 PM after pre-Pesach class.
* Tuesday, April 12: After 6:55 Shacharis.
* Wednesday, April 13: Noon, Bais Medrash.
* Friday, April 15: After 6:55 Shacharis.
* Sunday, April 17: After 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim.
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum, 301-593-4465 ext 405, to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the Halachos of Chametz on Pesach. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
The Sale of Chometz in History and Halacha – The GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Sunday, April 10, at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 10, at KMS, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring: hats, shells, skirts, modest work-out clothes, modest bathing suits, girls' and ladies' hair accessories, kippot, tzitzit, kosher for Pesach skin care, make-up, and Shabbos make-up, more. Raffles, refreshments.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Monday, April 11, 8:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Personalizing the Passover Story-Adding Your Personal Piece – BMZG Community Pre-Pesach Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Tuesday, April 12, after Mincha/Maariv (approx. 8:10 PM) at YISE.
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Order deadline was Wednesday, April 6. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, April 13, or Thursday, April 14, from 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE in the Arcola Social Hall.
Pre-Pesach Gourmet Pop-Up Restaurant at YISE – Gold Standard Catering, a new gourmet Vaad-certified boutique caterer by Stephanie Gold is presenting a pop-up restaurant at YISE. Sunday, April 17: Dinner reservations 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM, last walk-in seated at 9:00 PM. Monday, April 18: Lunch 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM, lunch menu take-out pickup (pre-ordered) 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Walk-ins welcome (first come first served). Children's menu available lunch and dinner. More details, menu and contact info at www.goldstandardcatering.net Portion of proceeds benefit YISE.
Chometz Riddance and Spring Food Drive – Make a tangible contribution for those in need in our local community. It's easy! Put your donated items in the food bank collection box in the lower lobby through April 20. All items must be unopened and non-perishable. No glass jars please! We accept boxed and canned food – grains, vegetables, fruits, healthy snacks, beans, etc. Donations will benefit the Capital Area Food bank (www.capitalareafoodbank.org), which distributes to hundreds of local organizations that feed hundreds of thousands in our region, Including supplying our community's Kosher Food Pantry.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chitim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, April 9, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Good Deeds Day (GDD) – Sunday, April 10, BCGW is building a vegetable garden at the Bernard Creeger Bikur Cholim House in Bethesda and we need help! No special skills are required to help; just a willingness to get a little dirty. Registration for GDD is at gooddeedsdaygw.org or 888-246-1818.
Creating, Keeping, and Perpetuating Memory: The Challenges of Being Able to Change our Genes – Please join Sulam for the Linda Kahan A"H Memorial Lecture on Sunday April 10 at 10:00 AM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Guest Speaker, Dr. Joshua Milner. $36 per person – Breakfast will be served. Sponsorships available. RSVP by contacting Ahuva Orlofsky at email@example.com or on the Sulam website www.sulam.org/new-events/
Appreciating Human Anatomy: The Relation of Form to Function – "Ma rabu Ma'asecha …" Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. The seventh lecture in our science series with Dr. Binyamin Edinger, Radiologist at Radiology Imaging Associates. Comments by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, Rosh Chabura of GWCK. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking lecture on Sunday, April 10 at 12:30 PM at th YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, April 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Maryland's 8th Congressional District Candidate Forum –
* Republican: Thursday, April 14, 7:00 PM at YISE. Presented by the OU Advocacy Center. For security reasons, preregistration is required. To RSVP please contact email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Cracking the Code – Free webinar. Tuesday, April 12, 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM. 9630 Gudelsky Dr., Rockville. For info and to register, please visit www.fedjobresults.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 10 Monday, April 11 Tuesday, April 12 Wednesday, April 13 Thursday, April 14 Friday, April 15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:44 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
April 15-16, 2016 – 8 Nissan 5776
Parshas Metzora – Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:27 – Havdalah 8:29
* Light Candles by 7:27, and not before 6:23
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00 (Ruach), 7:30 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 6:40 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:29
Sunday, April 10 Official Opening of the Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah, 11:00 AM
Sunday, April 10 Global Good Deeds Day, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Monday, April 11 Pre-Pesach Review Shiur, Arcola Social Hall, 8:15 PM
Wednesday, April 13 What the Jewish Community Needs to Know About Security Preparedness, 8:15 PM
Friday, April 15 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Sun. April 17 / Mon. April 18 Pre-Pesach Gourmet Pop-Up Restaurant
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 13 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director