Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts March 28-29, 2014 – 27 Adar II 5774
Parshas Tazria – Parshas Hachodesh – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:09 – Havdalah 8:09
* Light Candles by 7:09
* Mincha 7:10 (Arcola and University)
7:00 (Sephardi and Nusach Sefard)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:45 (Sephardi), 7:00 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:09
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Hannah Gershon on the bar-mitzvah of her grandson, Nathanael Chananya, son of Martine & Dr. Raphael Gershon, of Atlanta. Mazal Tov to the siblings Yael, Sammy, Danielle and Emanuel and all their relatives.
* Sarah & David Maslow of Jerusalem on the birth of a granddaughter, Kayla Rochel Leba, to their children, Aleeza & Rabbi Natanel Lebowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Lee & Craig Oppenheim on their son-in-law, Rabbi Nathan Fein, receiving Yorah Yorah Smicha from Yeshiva University this past Sunday at the Chag HaSemikhah. Mazal Tov to Lee & Craig's daughter Naomi and grandson Naftali Moshe on this wonderful Simcha.
* Sara & Avi Strum on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Clair & Art Kagel and Shifra & Steve Strum, and to all the aunts and uncles. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 1121 University Blvd W. Apt. 207 at 9:30 PM.
* Harriet Jacob on the passing of her father, Moritz Felberman. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Israel. Shiva is being observed in Nof Ayalon in Israel through Monday morning.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on April 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 30.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall – will have a special Shiur by Rabbi Reingold.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University – will resume on April 23.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. So far nearly 75% of the sections have already been claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Blood Drive in Memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, A"H – Sunday, March 30, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Make your lifesaving appointment today! Visit inova.org/donateblood and click on "Schedule a Donation," then click on "Donate Blood," and use Sponsor Code 8030, or contact Eli Landy at 301-681-0673, or firstname.lastname@example.org Please bring a photo ID with you to the drive.
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee has been appointed and is soliciting names of members in good standing who would be willing to serve for trustee and officer positions. Please email recommendations or questions to committee chair Stuart Rosenthal at email@example.com by April 2.
Be a Part of the Global Good Deeds Day – Clean the parks – Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park and Sligo Creek Park on Sunday, April 6 anytime from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sponsored by YISE, KMS, and MJBHA Chesed Committees. Meet at the steps to get gloves, trash bags, and a tee shirt (while supplies last). Upper School students will receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Koss' Jewish History class is cancelled for April 7, and will resume again on Monday, May 5.
Annual Yom Hashoah Program – Monday, April 28, 7:30 PM at KMS. The featured speaker is Mr. Leon Merrick, a long time resident of Kemp Mill who survived the Lodz Ghetto, forced labor and concentration camps during the Holocaust. Children grade 5 and older are encouraged to attend. Special Mincha at 7:10. Maariv will follow the program.
Youth Activities Coordinator Job Opportunity – This position coordinates 10-12 youth events throughout the year. S/he works closely with the Youth Committee and Rabbinic staff and must possess excellent organizational, interpersonal and leadership skills. Flexible hours. Teaching experience preferable. Competitive salary. Please submit resume with references to email@example.com by April 14.
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Handmade Shmurah Matzah, Regular or Whole Wheat will be available from Pupa Zehlem Bakery at $21.99 per pound. Order deadline is Monday, March 31. To order, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the number of pounds of regular and whole wheat. Matzah may be picked up Tuesday, April 8, or Wednesday, April 9, from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. Online ordering at www.yise.org/matzah
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur will be held on Wednesday, April 2, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week (more times will be announced next week): Tuesday, April 1: Arcola after 6:55 Shacharis; Wednesday, April 2: Noon, Arcola Beis Medrash; Thursday, April 3: After Mincha/Maariv; Friday, April 4: After 6:55 Shacharis; Sunday, April 6: University after 8:00 Shacharis; Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
YISE Together-for-5 – For a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum from last year visit www.torahdownloads.com/yisepesach
Hachnosas Orchim – Persons looking for a Seder or looking for guests for their Seder should contact email@example.com to add your name to the list.
Preparing For Pesach: A Review – A Focus on Halacha Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, March 31, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more info please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Making Order Out of Chaos: Lessons from the Seder for Life – Tuesday, April 1. Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Community Pre-Pesach Shiur with Rabbi Eli Reingold at 8:00 PM at YISE. For more information contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Bikur Cholim Of Greater Washington invites you to a Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 6, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM at the home of Sharon & Jay Mazel, 608 Rockford Road. For further information please contact: Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org 10% of Boutique purchases will be given to Bikur Cholim.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mail to 812Hyde Court. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chittim."
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The Pesach Chometz Riddance Food Drive, which runs through April 10, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank for distribution to needy individuals and families. Synagogues in Kemp Mill and the Washington area, along with other organizations, such as day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes, take part. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Social Hall.
Need your car cleaned for Pesach? The YGW juniors are offering a thorough and inexpensive cleaning service to prepare your vehicle for Pesach. They will be doing it at the Yeshiva, 1216 Arcola Ave., on April 6 and April 13. For pricing and more information please contact the juniors at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has just published his latest book, a new Haggadah, If interested, pleasecontact Faith Ginsburg at 301-649-6330 or Profgins@aol.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1 1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, email@example.com
National Hillel Basketball Tournament at University of Maryland – Sunday, March 30. Come watch 40 teams and 300 players from across the country. Games will be played at the Reckford Armory and Ritchie Coliseum. FREE! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Akiva Basketball Academy – One week program for boys entering 5th-8th grade who want to improve their game. June 16 through June 20. Contact AkivaBasketballAcademy@gmail.com for more information.
Job Assist Events:
* Transition to Employment Open House – April 7, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Learn about JSSA's Transitioning Youth Services, at JSSA's Ina Kay Building, 200 Wood Hill Rd. Free. To register: contact Nicole Puckerin-Borde at: 301-587-9666 or email@example.com
* Branding Yourself for the Job Search – April 9, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM. Learn the Basics of Social Media & Networking to make connections for your job search, at Rockville Memorial Library. Free. No pre-registration required. Information: 301-610-8380 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 30 Monday, March 31 Tuesday, April 1 Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, April 2 Thursday, April 3 Friday, April 4
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:00 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:03 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:58 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
April 4-5, 2014 – 5 Nissan 5774
Light Candles by 7:16 – Havdalah 8:17
* Light Candles by 7:16
* Mincha 7:20 (Arcola and University)
7:00 (Sephardi and Nusach Sefard)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 (Sephardi), 7:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:17
Sunday, March 30 Blood Drive, YISE Social Hall
Wednesday, April 2 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Arcola Social Hall, Program: Alan Sussman, Jewish Music, Sponsored by Golden Network
Wednesday, April 2 Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Shiur
Shabbos, April 11-12 Pre-Pesach Meals (see flyer)
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 2, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director