Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 2-3, 2016 – 30 Av 5776 – Parshas Re'eh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:18 – Havdalah 8:16
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sahra & Yale Ginsburg in honor of the upcoming marriage of Elazar Ginsburg to Devora Moore.
* Esther & Alan Baldinger on the birth of a grandson, born to their children Yiscah & Ezra Baldinger. Mazal Tov to the siblings, Tehilla, Rusie, and Goldie, and to the entire Baldinger and Goodman extended families. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 9:15 PM at the home of Esther & Alan Baldinger, 700 Bromley Street.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Avrohom Weinstein, to their grandchildren Rivka & Yosef Weinstein, of Lakewood.
* Rachel & Rabbi Ozzie Burnham on the birth of their first child, a baby boy. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Nechama & Rabbi Aryeh Burnham of Har Nof, and Susan & Rabbi David Avigdor of New Haven, CT. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 9:30 PM at their home, 826 Hyde Road.
* Naomi & Ori Carmel on Sarit's Bat Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to her sister Hadar and to her grandparents Marilyn Seidenberg and Nurit & Ephy Carmel.
* Adina & Fred Friedman and family on the marriage of their daughter Rena to Eliezer Snow, son of Claire & Mordechai Snow of Edison, NJ.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the upcoming marriage of their son Elazar to Devora Moore, daughter of Anne & Brian Moore of Los Angeles. Mazal Tov to grandparents Faith & Gil Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, to Uncle Rafi, and to siblings Avi, Naftali and Daniel, and to the extended Ginsburg / Dimont / Moore families.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the engagement of their grandson Eliyahu, son of Miri & Reuven Koss of Netivot, to Tovie Neuwirth of Bnai Brak.
* Nechama & Alex Potasnick on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to grandparents Mimi & Marty Potasnick and Esther & Yosef Newman and to all the aunts and uncles.
* Dolores & Len Schwartz on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Eva Schwartz, daughter of Karen & Wayne Schwartz of Potomac.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the birth of a grandson, Dov Binyamin, to their children Jenny & David Zurndorfer. Mazal Tov to Dov's brothers Ari, Rafi and Ilan, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Barbara Blaustein and Aron Trombka on the passing of their father, Jacob Trombka. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva information will be sent when available.
* Light Candles by 7:18
Arcola: 6:30, 7:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will Daven with the Youth Minyan.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:16
* Hashkamah and 8:45 Main Minyanim – Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* University – Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Zatman-Fink family in honor of Ben's Bar Mitzvah.
* 8:00 Minyan – Adina & Fred Friedman in honor of the marriage of their daughter Rena to Eliezer Snow.
* University – "Rosh Chodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sahra & Yale Ginsburg in honor of the upcoming marriage of Elazar Ginsburg to Devora Moore.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate – Shiur at 5:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will resume September 11.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University – will resume September 7.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – Beginning Monday, September 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women Of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Membership Drive – The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
YISE Programs and Listings
Ani Ledodi: Cultivating a Deeper Relationship with Hashem in Elul – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, September 11, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. Use the form that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shuloffice (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Note: Yom Kippur babysitting is now full and there are limited spaces remaining for Rosh Hashana. For more info, contact email@example.com
YISE Annual Barbecue – Sunday, September 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE.) Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs and more! Moonbounce for little kids and obstacle moon bounce for older kids. Face painting. Fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please go to: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE: Ruach Minyan – Friday, September 23, at 6:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal program for children, Daveners of all ages are welcome to bring in Shabbos with us. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, together with the 9:15 Minyan.
There will be NO groups this week so we can give our group leaders time to brace themselves for the coming year. Next week however, we will be running full steam ahead.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation. Please contact Sarah at email@example.com
YISE Youth Pre-Rosh Hashana Apple Picking – Join YISE Youth for apple picking and a Shofar blowing contest. Sunday, September 18, 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon, at Butlers Orchard, 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, MD 20876. Pay for what you pick. Bring your family out for fun in the sun picking delicious apples for Rosh Hashana. Children are encouraged to bring a Shofar from home for a Shofar blowing contest. Feel free to bring a picnic lunch as well as there is a small playground for children to enjoy on the premises. Please RSVP if you plan on attending to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – Starting this week! For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, September 3, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM.
NCSY Latte and Learning – NCSY will be hosting a special Motzei Shabbos Latte and Learning this Saturday night, September 3 in the YISE Social Hall from 9:30 PM – 11:00 PM. This event is open to all high school students grades 9-12. We look forward to seeing you there.
It's Not My Cup of ‘Tea' – Social Drinking with non-Jews – Labor Day, Monday, September 5. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM – Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW – Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for chavrusa learning. Shiur 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Tips for a Successful Elul and Rosh Hashana – Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Tuesday, September 6, 1:30 PM – 2:15PM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash. We will resume at the JCC on Tuesday, September 13. Men and women are welcome.
TGN Siddur Reading Class is now beginning the Shema! Join this class led by Mrs. Esther Dziadek to enhance your reading and understanding of the Shema and its blessings. Starting Wednesday, September 7, 9:40 AM – 10:40 AM at KMS. For more information contact Mrs. Esther Dziadek 301-649-1463 email@example.com or Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 7, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo will take place Sunday, September 11 from 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring, featuring over 75 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), celebrity speaker, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. A similar Expo will take place Sunday, September 25, from 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM at Springfield Town Center in Springfield, Va. For more info or to volunteer, call 301-949-9766.
Community Choir for Boys – Rabbi Chinn is starting a community choir for boys in 3rd through 8th grade. A first meeting with auditions will be held at 5:00 PM on Sunday, September 11 at Minchas Yitzchok, 1103 Arcola Avenue. If your son is interested in joining the choir, please let us know. If anyone is unable to attend on Sundday, September 11, we hope to hold a second audition later in September. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-997-8363.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Free webinar. Tuesday, September 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Not A Minor Issue: A Child's Obligation to Halacha – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, September 18. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 11:50 AM Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:35 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. 12:45 PM program ends. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Hadassah Presents: The Power of Women Who Do! An educational program highlighting women role models of the past and present, from Biblical times to the present and into the future. Our featured speakers are Sharon Freundel, Lisa Davidson, Anat Alon- Beck, Liza Levy, and Ilene Rosenthal. Sunday, September 18, 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Register by calling the Hadassah office at 301-881-8203, or https://www.facebook.com/ hadassahgw/ Questions call Nancy Weisberger at 301-649-4153 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's 1st Annual Bike-a-thon – Sunday, September 25, from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM. The 38-mile ride will be along the C&O canal, with a barbecue at the finish line at Carderock. For ages 10 and up. $36 registration fee. To sign up or for more information, visit bikurcholimgw.org or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Sept. – Rosh Chodesh Monday, Sept. 5 – Labor Day Tuesday, September 6 Wednesday, September 7 Thursday, September 8 Friday, September 9
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:53 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:53 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:39 PM
September 9-10, 2016 – 7 Elul 5776
Light Candles by 7:07 – Havdalah 8:04
* Light Candles by 7:07
Arcola: 6:30, 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:04
Wednesday, September 7 Senior Lunch, YISE Social Hall, 12:00 Noon – Harp concert by Arpa Amore "All Kinds of Love"
Sunday, September 18 YISE Annual Barbecue, YGW Boys Campus, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Friday, September 23 Ruach Minyan, YISE Social Hall, 6:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 7 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director